Hornets in my attic

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Beeman, your input would be especially appreciated.

Here's the deal. A couple weeks ago I noticed when I turned our outside lights on to let the dogs out, these hornets would start attacking the lights. A few got in the house because they were hitting the light next to our back door which is only like a foot from the door opening.

Couldn't find where they were coming from, so I utilized some African engineering and moved my bug zapper from the rear of our yard by the shed to the back corner of our house where the door is. I used an old vinyl-coated steel dog tie-out and strung it between two trees aout 6' off the ground and hung the bug zapper from it about 6 feet from the back door. I no longer turn on the back lights and just let the bug zapper run all night.

Well, every morning I'd find some dead hornets in the grilles of the zapper and/or on the ground beneath it. I still kept looking for the nest. Well, I found it. They are going in under the siding/soffit at the back corner of the house. So, I bought 5 cans of good ol' foaming wasp/hornet killer. I climed up on an extension ladder and filled their entrance. I've done this for 3 days in a row and have been spraying any that show up and try to get back in after I foamed the opening.

Today, I decided to check the attic. Didn't see any up there, but started futzing with something else and one flew past my head. I sprayed it, and couldn't find any more.

The part of the attic at the back corner of the house isn't floored so I can't quite get over there. I am gonna go back up in a few minutes with a spotlight and two cans of spray take a good look. The spray cans shoot 20 feet, so I oughta be able to take them down if I spot a nest. Wish me luck. I'll be back shortly with a report.

Any suggestions will be appreciated, in the meantime.

Mags

LDAR king
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute

Here's the deal. A couple weeks ago I noticed when I turned our outside lights on to let the dogs out, these hornets would start attacking the lights. A few got in the house because they were hitting the light next to our back door which is only like a foot from the door opening.

Couldn't find where they were coming from, so I utilized some African engineering and moved my bug zapper from the rear of our yard by the shed to the back corner of our house where the door is. I used an old vinyl-coated steel dog tie-out and strung it between two trees aout 6' off the ground and hung the bug zapper from it about 6 feet from the back door. I no longer turn on the back lights and just let the bug zapper run all night.

Well, every morning I'd find some dead hornets in the grilles of the zapper and/or on the ground beneath it. I still kept looking for the nest. Well, I found it. They are going in under the siding/soffit at the back corner of the house. So, I bought 5 cans of good ol' foaming wasp/hornet killer. I climed up on an extension ladder and filled their entrance. I've done this for 3 days in a row and have been spraying any that show up and try to get back in after I foamed the opening.

Today, I decided to check the attic. Didn't see any up there, but started futzing with something else and one flew past my head. I sprayed it, and couldn't find any more.

The part of the attic at the back corner of the house isn't floored so I can't quite get over there. I am gonna go back up in a few minutes with a spotlight and two cans of spray take a good look. The spray cans shoot 20 feet, so I oughta be able to take them down if I spot a nest. Wish me luck. I'll be back shortly with a report.

Ah, yes. I always loved a good hornet adventure. You'll prolly get them with the spray. Just soak the nest if you can.

Good Luck, Bro....

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Maybe living in the walls somewhere? Or maybe in a tree near the house....hmmmm.
No, they are definitely flying in and out of this hole in a gap between two pieces of capping at the back corner of the house where the raingutter is. The raingutter along the back section of the house wraps around the corner about 2 feet and then the downspout is at the end.

Plus, I did find one in the attic when I went up there the first time.

Mags

LDAR king
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
No, they are definitely flying in and out of this hole in a gap between two pieces of capping at the back corner of the house where the raingutter is. The raingutter along the back section of the house wraps around the corner about 2 feet and then the downspout is at the end.

Plus, I did find one in the attic when I went up there the first time.
That's wierd. Some hornets can build nests anywhere.

Unless you're gonna start ripping out boards maybe just attack them from that hole. Be careful where the spray goes 'cause it can stain things.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I've been attacking that hole every day with the spray/foam. I am just gonna keep it up I guess.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005

from how you are describing this, you are doing everything that I'd do. What I would do is try and seal the site of the old nest with some kind of foam or silicone, as the old nest can draw back new hornets in time. If you killed the main nest, there shouldn't be any buzzing around from it, but you could have nests in the ground/trees/somewhere else in your house, I've seen houses where there have been up to 8 nests all within 30 feet of the house. Just use any pesticide, if the nest is far away, use the jet spray cans of it, and if they are in the ground, diesel fuel works best, as it destroys the nest as well. Make sure you also destroy the nest when the hornets are dead, like I said, new hornets will be attracted to the old nest in time.

If you continue to have a hornet problem later, google wasp traps, and set them out in various spots. Usually it's just a jar/pop bottle with sugar water in it.

ianbobo

It's My Birthday!
Oct 4, 2004
South of Boston
i was on vacation and some hornets built a nest in my work van passenger door. i knocked it off and sprayed it but they keep coming back. i know im not helping but they are a pain in the ass.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
i got ants in my pants

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Put the bug zapper in the attic?
I am actually entertaining that possibility.

Since I last sprayed the shit out of the opening, I have not seen any hornets coming or going. I am just gonna keep an eye on it and continue to spray it daily if I see more hornets.

Once I am certain they are gone, I am going to seal the opening with some clear silicone or something.

Last year, I had yellowjackets going under a piece of vinyl trim where the siding meets the lower roof (we have a split-level). I wiped them out and then used caulk to seal everything up. This was on the opposite side of the house and out front.

I've seen the yellow jacket traps. I'll go that route if needed.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
I am actually entertaining that possibility.

Since I last sprayed the shit out of the opening, I have not seen any hornets coming or going. I am just gonna keep an eye on it and continue to spray it daily if I see more hornets.

Once I am certain they are gone, I am going to seal the opening with some clear silicone or something.

Last year, I had yellowjackets going under a piece of vinyl trim where the siding meets the lower roof (we have a split-level). I wiped them out and then used caulk to seal everything up. This was on the opposite side of the house and out front.

I've seen the yellow jacket traps. I'll go that route if needed.

I wouldn't put a bug zapper in the attic if I was you. I run two in my warehouse to zap any flies, bees, or moths that are flying around in there, and a lot of them hit the ground burning. In an attic just imagine the weenie roast you could have if it started the whole thing on fire.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I actually was just thinking of that possibility... All that raw lumber up there... rafters, joists, plywood flooring...

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
I actually was just thinking of that possibility... All that raw lumber up there... rafters, joists, plywood flooring...
yep, I've seen the little bastards burn on the cement in my warehouse for 10-15 minutes, more than long enough to start a fire.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
Maybe hanging a yellowjacket trap up there wouldn't be a bad idea...
nope, also, as much as it will be a bitch to do, seal any cracks you can find to the outside. I've also seen "hornet/wasp bait" you can lay out in attics, they eat it and die. I'll look and see if I can find the name of it again.

Kid Brock

No longer VegasBrock
Jul 26, 2005
Las Vegas
Insert Samuel Jackson voice: " There are hornets in the mother fucking attic".

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Fuckers... I thought they were gone. Haven't seen any all day. WMB stopped over tonight and just as I got done telling him I thought they were gone and pointed out where they were, they started flying in and out.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
Fuckers... I thought they were gone. Haven't seen any all day. WMB stopped over tonight and just as I got done telling him I thought they were gone and pointed out where they were, they started flying in and out.
gas it and seal it, you're going to find you are doing that for a while to get them all.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Hornets in my attic
Critters on my crackers
bugs on my bologna

Ant's in my pants

I swear it was this big....

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Not being a naysayer, I know you said that they are not in the wall, but do you have a crawlspace below the area you are seeing them? My parents had a problem with them on the patio coming out from under the rafters. The bug guy had the damndest time trying to find the nest in the attic until he saw an open space where there was no insulation in an area that was about 4 inches by two inches and dropped a camera all the way down to the crawlspace and saw a shitload of hornets...he opened the crawlspace while we were standing there, and hornets came flying out all over....he said the thing when he finally removed it was "huge! like 4 feet!"
(course he could have been just wanting to charge a huge fee)