ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
Hospitals in England could be on the brink of collapse, leading doctors say

Hospitals 'on brink of collapse'
Comments (1063)

By Nick Triggle Health correspondent, BBC News

Surgeons performing an operation Hospital beds are being closed, but demands are increasing

* Be brave on NHS, politicians told
* NHS treatment 'being rationed'
* Patients 'suffer NHS rationing'

Hospitals in England could be on the brink of collapse, leading doctors say.

The Royal College of Physicians said the triple effect of rising demand, increasingly complex cases and falling bed numbers was causing problems.

The college's report claimed urgent care was already being compromised and warned the situation would get worse unless something was done.

But the government rejected the suggestion, saying the NHS was ready for the challenges it was facing.

The college said in some ways the NHS had been a victim of its own success.

Advances in medicine had led to people living longer, but this meant they were increasingly developing complex long-term conditions such as dementia as a result.

It said this had been happening during a period of falling bed numbers - they have been reduced by a third in the past 25 years - and rising numbers of emergency admissions.
Poor standards

The RCP said standards were slipping in hospitals throughout England.

It cited the way older patients were repeatedly moved around wards, the lack of continuity of care while in hospital and tests being done during the night as some of the examples of how care was suffering.

The college also highlighted the results of feedback from its members, which showed concern about discharge arrangements and workload.

And it warned the problems could lead to another scandal like that surrounding the Mid Staffordshire NHS Trust, which became the subject of a public inquiry after regulators said poor standards had led to needless deaths.

Doctor Andrew Goddard of the Royal College of Physicians: ''The winter pressure is an all-year pressure''

Prof Tim Evans, of the RCP, said: "This evidence is very distressing. All hospital patients deserve to receive safe, high-quality sustainable care centred around their needs.

"Yet it is increasingly clear that our hospitals are struggling to cope with the challenge of an ageing population who increasingly present to our hospitals with multiple, complex diseases.

"We must act now to make the drastic changes required to provide the care they deserve."

The report said the solution lay in concentrating hospital services in fewer, larger sites that were able to provide excellent care round-the-clock, seven days a week.

But it also said this would require improvements in community services as there were many patients who ended up in hospital because of a lack of help close to home.

Jeremy Hughes, chief executive of the Alzheimer's Society, said: "These latest findings are alarming but, unfortunately, not surprising.

"It is painfully evident that the healthcare system stands on the brink of crisis.

"People with dementia are going into hospital unnecessarily, staying in too long and coming out worse."

Health minister Dr Dan Poulter said: "It is completely wrong to suggest that the NHS cannot cope - the NHS only uses approximately 85% of the beds it has available, and more and more patients are being treated out of hospital, in the community or at home.

"But it is true that the NHS needs fundamental reform to cope with the challenges of the future.

"To truly provide dignity in care for older people, we need to see even more care out of hospitals. That's why we are modernising the NHS and putting the people who best understand patient's needs, doctors and nurses, in charge."
Your comments (1063)
More on This Story
Related Stories

Be brave on NHS, politicians told
19 JUNE 2012, HEALTH
NHS treatment 'being rationed'
19 JUNE 2012, HEALTH
Patients 'suffer NHS rationing'
21 MAY 2012, HEALTH
NHS waiting lists 'recategorised'
11 JUNE 2012, HEALTH
Hospital waiting times increasing
15 MAY 2012, JERSEY
NHS facing 'greatest challenge'
22 JUNE 2010, HEALTH

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
But, but....government run health care is supposed to be great!

Discoman

Donator
Feb 21, 2010
New York
I think we should Logan's Run this shit and have an age where people should just drop dead.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
European governments going bankrupt means governmental programs fall apart. Makes sense.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
Preview for America, Obamacare is put in place to save us all, prices go up and no one can afford health care, government comes in to save us again by taking over health care, only the ultra rich and politicians get good health care, the rest of us die.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
I will watch this on the American news when they report on it.

I will also die before they do

Sep 15, 2011
tennessee
Preview for America, Obamacare is put in place to save us all, prices go up and no one can afford health care, government comes in to save us again by taking over health care, only the ultra rich and politicians get good health care, the rest of us die.
you realize "obamacare" is still private companies right?

so what you're saying is you want more regulation to keep prices down,that's not very free market of you.

Bluestreak

This space intentionally left blank.
Sep 27, 2007
Mawl-din, MA

so what you're saying is you want more regulation to keep prices down,that's not very free market of you.
Let him go... he thinks the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006

Keep up. What Kirk is saying isn't that Obamacare is government healthcare: he's saying that Obamacare is over-government regulation of private healthcare, pushing private healthcare to the brink and creating an artificial crisis that will then necessitate government healthcare.

It's one of the conspiracy theories about Obamacare.

Personally, I don't buy it. I don't think Congress was or is smart enough to plan this out, and President Obama is frankly too much of an incompetent jackass (seriously, throw "your" legislative keystone TO CONGRESS to write????) to plan that well, either. Obamacare is legitimately the best job they could manage.

Which is incredibly, incredibly sad.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Keep up. What Kirk is saying isn't that Obamacare is government healthcare: he's saying that Obamacare is over-government regulation of private healthcare, pushing private healthcare to the brink and creating an artificial crisis that will then necessitate government healthcare.

It's one of the conspiracy theories about Obamacare.
Seriously?! What crazy nutjobs would believe a crazy scheme like that?!?! Gotta be the teabagger birthers who hate black people. They're nuts. I mean, it's not like Obama came out and admitted, that in his first term as POTUS, he wanted universal healthcare installed by the end of his first term. And it's not like he admitted that it's going to take 10, 15, 20 years in order to truly eliminate the private insurance companies. I mean, come on! ;)

VMS said:
Personally, I don't buy it. I don't think Congress was or is smart enough to plan this out, and President Obama is frankly too much of an incompetent jackass (seriously, throw "your" legislative keystone TO CONGRESS to write????) to plan that well, either. Obamacare is legitimately the best job they could manage.

Which is incredibly, incredibly sad.
Ultimately, the progressives (mostly on the Democratic side and including Obama) have made it pretty clear in the past that they want single payer healthcare in this country. This has been a signature issue for the progressives for decades and decades, but they've never been able to gain traction because it's just not popular among the center-center/right-small gov't liberals. Yet they've continued to push for it, and yeah, some "crazies" seem to think the progressives have adopted a sort of Cloward-Piven strategy regarding healthcare...pollute the current system and set it up for a massive failure, then say, "Oh, would you look at that...our healthcare system is in shambles...hmm, I guess we'll just have to take it over and rebuild it into something else...that universal healthcare in Europe is pretty neat."

I think the original plan that was pushed (circa July 2009) was something that could have led us down the path of single payer healthcare. We didn't get that bill...but we did get about 8 months of tiring healthcare talking points from both sides, closed door negotiations between Pelosi/Reid/Obama/etc, and Obama deflecting from his C-SPAN promise as long and as much as he could. The end result was a bill that only passed by Obama buying the votes of Senators and that I see as more a hybrid of two things: a bill that could lead us down the path of single-payer and a bill that is just a colossal mess but they had to get something thru because the public's patience was lost and Obama needed to be able to say he got his healthcare plan thru. That's how I see it. Will this mess of a bill lead us to single-payer? I doubt it. But it's such a fuckin mess that, over time, it will make things worse, and by that point...who knows?