Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds (PS3)

Blue Heeler

Uber Listener / Asshole
Aug 24, 2007
KY
Picking this up today...For fans of the series, you know Hot Shots Golf is an awesome golf sim dressed in sheep's clothing. Hopefully they have a ton of hidden characters and other items to unlock.

Here's the Gamespy review:

You can't judge a book by its cover. Looks can be deceiving. Beauty is only skin-deep. Look at that, we just rattled off three common cliches that almost perfectly sum up the wolf in sheep's clothing that is Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds. Sure, the game looks like some kind of Hello Kitty-slathered, preschool version of golf, but don't let the friendly veneer fool you, because it is nearly as detailed and vicious as any Tiger Woods game. What makes Hot Shots such a success is that it doesn't have to be super-cutthroat unless you want it to be. There's plenty of bubble gum and cotton candy, but it doesn't impact the gameplay... unless all that cuteness really does bother you.

Golf is Serious Business

Really, you'd be forgiven for thinking that Out of Bounds isn't a particularly good golf simulator... if you hadn't played it, that is. Its cartoony patina belies what is a surprisingly nuanced golf game that comes with all of the testy weather, ball spin dynamics and course hazards you'd expect from a game with a more serious demeanor. The upshot for us was that Hot Shots actually gets us more interested in golf than more realistic-looking golf games, but we hasten to add that this won't apply to everyone.

The cutesy exterior of Out of Bounds actually convinced us that the game of golf was a leisurely pursuit despite a ridiculous amount of evidence to the contrary. See, we appreciate the relaxing scenic vistas of dolphins leaping out of the ocean or a lush valley washed in orange by the sunset as a reward after completing a round... we appreciate them so much that they somehow manage to make us forget the fact that we end every other putt with a hellacious string of some of the filthiest profanity ever devised by mankind. In the moment we become furious at missing a crucial putt or driving into a sand trap, but once the round is over we come away from the experience remembering it fondly. We don't claim to fully understand how Out of Bounds manages this, but we can only assume it has something to do with eyes that are disproportionately large in comparison to the dimpled faces they inhabit.

Get in Your Home

Essentially, we look at Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds as a less mature but also more family-friendly "Happy Gilmore" of golf games. It's still golf, just a little bit more enjoyable for those that don't particularly like golf to begin with. Of course, the downside is that this approach automatically attaches a sort of cuteness stigma for people who actually appreciate the sport just the way it is, without the thick coat of anime-style cosmetics. Still, those same people would have to agree that it does a decent job of simulating the game.

Part of the reason for this is the new Advanced Shots, which aren't honestly a drastic departure from the mechanics of past Hot Shots games, but improve the experience by removing the classic shot meter at the bottom of the screen. Advanced Shots instead require that you gauge your power by watching how far your golfer winds up on the backswing, pressing the X button when the arc of your backswing is at the level of power you want. It seemed a bit more imprecise than the explicit meter at first, but eventually it felt easier to eyeball the percentage of power we wanted just by watching the backswing of our little dude or dudette.

Out of Bounds also comes with copious online options that all boil down to basically playing the same game that you would play if you were all by yourself. The cute-overload approach is in full effect for multiplayer, though, because the online lobbies are even more infantilized than the rest of the game. Again, this is great for people who may not usually be into golf, but could annoy those that look at the game seriously.

For those of us who enjoy a little less seriousness in our golf game's appearance, but don't want some dumbed-down baby's toy, Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds is a uniquely accomplished solution.
:clap:

Chester'sLiver

ESD is Wackbag's hero!
Jan 28, 2005
New Jersey
I like hot shots but I just have to much other shit to play..I am picking up RBSV2 today and I am still playing Lost Odyssey.. Maybe if I get bored with my other games I might pick this one up..

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
Feb 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I loved HSG on the PSP and I really enjoyed the demo of this game that was on the Japan PSN. I'll get this on the weekend.

One really cool feature is the ability to play a 50 player simultaneous online tournament where you can see everyone else playing at the same time in the background and you don't have to wait for anyone to take their swings.

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
May 27, 2005
Phoenixville
I loved Hot Shots...one of Charlie Sheen's finest acting roles

damned good golfing game...dunno if I'm gonna pick it up yet or go get Army of 2

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
Feb 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I got this yesterday and played around with it a bit. I'm finding that this game is all about manipulating the camera angles to your advantage. You can put the camera almost anywhere to find the best view for your swing.

And I haven't played in an online tournament yet, but the lobby system is kind of like a "mini-Home" where you have an avatar running around. And from overhearing some of the conversations in the lobby you are able to unlock different outfits and accessories for your avatar by winning tourneys, shooting a hole-in-one, a long putt or chip-in, etc.

And there are a lot of online tournaments every 10-15 minutes that you can sign up for. Maybe in the near future if enough Wackbaggers gets this game, we can use this thread to schedule tee times for WB-tournaments.

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
Feb 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Did a few online tournaments yesterday, one with as many as 41 people (50 max). It's pretty damn good. No voice chat as of now, just text comments between holes while you're waiting for the next tee off.

I'd suggest unlocking as much shit as you can and upgrading the Nick and Jasmine characters to the maximum before venturing online, otherwise it may be a tough haul to crack the top 25% of the leaderboards. A nice touch is that your online games will also fill up your characters' loyalty meters, so getting those up to max won't take that long if you plan on playing a lot of online.

BTW, I'm finding this game to be one of the best to play while listening to 202 in the background.

kimothee

Token Gimpy Cunt
Aug 31, 2004
The Edge of the Water, Norf Jersey
The Mr. enjoys the HSG games (I think they are ridiculously cheezy ad I am not a golf fan anyway). That being said, it's nice to know that this is on PS3, since we have a PS2 and will probably be getting a PS3 soon so we don't have to rebuy the minimal amount of games we already own....that, and GTA IV is coming soon. Honestly, the GTA games are ones I most enjoy playing.

Blue Heeler

Uber Listener / Asshole
Aug 24, 2007
KY
I've played 1 online game so far, just to see how it was and I really enjoyed it. You really don't have to wait for everyone sense each hole is timed.

I hope they have more hidden characters, I'd like to see some toons from other games pop in like they had on the PS2 versions a few years back.

XMScott

Its Business Time!
Aug 6, 2004
I hope they have more hidden characters, I'd like to see some toons from other games pop in like they had on the PS2 versions a few years back.

There arent any, yet

GAME RULES! The Advanced Swing takes the game to a more realistic level. This is the reason i bought a PS3 this soon (was waiting for LittleBigPlanet)

XMScott

Its Business Time!
Aug 6, 2004
Thats why i said yet.

I just opened up the last course. :icon_eek:. Its beautiful, and pretty fucking difficult

Blue Heeler

Uber Listener / Asshole
Aug 24, 2007
KY
I'm gonna need to practice with the advanced shot system more. I only used it when I was forced too on Special Rules courses...shot a +8 the first try, then replayed it again and shot a -3 or something and held #1.

The game is awesome though, I hope they add tons of DLC to the game and keep people interested.

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
Feb 9, 2006
Vancouver, BC
is the DLC free or do you have to purchase?
Hard to say. There are so many things you can get when it comes to golf games (courses, characters, clubs, balls, caddies, etc) so I'd guess that the majority will be for a price with a few freebies here and there (like a Halloween or Christmas themed DLC).

So far on the Japan PSN, I've seen Yukiko, the host on the menu screens, as a purchasable playable character (and one worth getting if you know what I mean).

Blue Heeler

Uber Listener / Asshole
Aug 24, 2007
KY
Hard to say. There are so many things you can get when it comes to golf games (courses, characters, clubs, balls, caddies, etc) so I'd guess that the majority will be for a price with a few freebies here and there (like a Halloween or Christmas themed DLC).

So far on the Japan PSN, I've seen Yukiko, the host on the menu screens, as a purchasable playable character (and one worth getting if you know what I mean).
Ass like a 12 year old boy? mmmm hmmmmm!

tourettesguy

Certified Labia Inspector
Oct 4, 2005
Akron, OH
My PSN name is Gobbledygoocker

Look for me, I'll be playing all afternoon.

Maybe we can have some virtual gay sex on the virtual golf course. No homo.

Thanks.

XMScott

Its Business Time!
Aug 6, 2004
Im still addicted to this game (same for the last installments).

If anyone ever wants to play online my PSN name is : xmscott

And for those who havent tried it the demo is up on the Playstation Store.

Blue Heeler

Uber Listener / Asshole
Aug 24, 2007
KY
Yeah, it's a great golf game. I reaaaaaaally need to get back into it, but it's getting diffcult with each new great game that comes out. I think once the Trophy system gets patched in (July 2nd) and HSG incorporates it in, I'll be playing again.