Hotel Chain laughs at, makes disabled vet crawl down stairs

mr. sin

Mar 30, 2005
RALEIGH, NC
http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-826217

SSG Chad Staples (medically retired) was in the Scout Platoon of the 1st Battalion 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment, the Red Devils. While defending our country, Staples was shot and paralyzed in Iraq in April of 2007. On August 7th, 2012, he stayed in a Best Western hotel for a 6-hour necessary pit stop in Monahans, Texas. After a power outage left the elevator out of service, Staples called down to the front desk to recieve assistance to get from the third floor back down to the main level so he could continue on his trip.

VMS

Victim of high standards and low personal skills.
Apr 26, 2006
Here's the problem with getting anything done about this:

Best Western (the chain) didn't fuck up. This was an "independently owned and operated" location. BW doesn't have direct control over the hotel, so it's not like BW can fire the manager. And chances are that the manager is or is related to the independent owner/operator.

The independent owner/operator doesn't have a lot of motivation to do shit about this. The BW in Monahans, TX is right on I-20 (I Google mapped it). It's part of a cluster of hotels at that location. Looking at the names of the hotels at that crossroads, it's probably the least-shitty of the hotels there. BWs typically range from almost-shitty-enough-to-be-2-star to almost-nice-enough-to-be-4-star. I'm guessing this location is one of the former, but that's still probably good enough to be the best hotel at that location.

There's no real business leverage anywhere on this. I mean, yeah, you can crap on BW and boycott them, but it's unlikely that BW can cut that Monahans location loose from their franchise agreement. BW (the chain) will probably just give the soldier some cash and a fulsome apology, but I don't see much else that can come of this.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Shitty thing that the hotel didn't want to help him, but if it was a legitimate Act of God that killed the power to the elevator, I don't think he has a whole lot of leg to stand on (boooo!!!!). Give him a voucher for a free night and let's move on past this tragedy.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Also, if you're unable to use the stairs, why would you accept a third floor room? Either take one on the first floor or find a different hotel. What would happen if there was a fire or some other emergency? You need to look out for yourself.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
I know how white people laugh. I know how black people laugh. And I definitely know the way the gook laughs. But how exactly does a hotel chain laugh?

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
i know how white people laugh. I know how black people laugh. And i definitely know the way the gook laughs. But how exactly does a hotel chain laugh?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$bedbugs $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$bedbugs

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I know how white people laugh. I know how black people laugh. And I definitely know the way the gook laughs. But how exactly does a hotel chain laugh?
With a lot of rattling.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
Also, if you're unable to use the stairs, why would you accept a third floor room? Either take one on the first floor or find a different hotel. What would happen if there was a fire or some other emergency? You need to look out for yourself.
What makes you think a hotel as obviously shitty as this has wheelchair-accessible rooms?

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
What makes you think a hotel as obviously shitty as this has wheelchair-accessible rooms?
All hotels are required to have a certain amount or percentage of handicapped hotel rooms. And I *think* they are all supposed to be on the ground level. Not positive about that though. I just know that whenever I check in to a room and see the handrail around the terlet I know I'm in for a morning of numb legs. I hate handicapped rooms.

And most hotels are independently owned and usually the last name of the owner is Patel.

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
And most hotels are independently owned and usually the last name of the owner is Patel.
That's actually true. I deliver the mail, I know. And the smell of curry is overpowering.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Why would the human rollerskate choose to stay at a hotel that obviously couldn't cater to his needs?
It sounds like he didn't plan ahead and just dropped in without a reservation.

If I required special accommodations, I would plan my trip out better to make sure I had them. Not saying the manager wasn't a piece of shit if they actually laughed at him, but people need to make an attempt to be responsible for themselves.

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
I want to know more about "Holly". If she's a 19 year old minimum wage earning 100lb girl, is "Well, what do you want me to do about it?" really that unbelievable of a question?

Also, the "it's a liability thing"...is that really far-fetched? It seems to me like it would be a serious liability issue. I love and support the veterans, but his immediate "Are you f***ing serious? I'm in a f***ing wheelchair" response seems like it would immediately put the staff off from wanting to lift a finger.

It IS a shit situation though. The home I used to work for was three stories, and the elevator went out of order a couple times. That shit SUCKED. Almost all of them needed assistance, and most of them were veterans, but unless there was a fire, we were not allowed to carry them up and down flights of stairs. They understood.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
...I think I know the guy in question. I met a guy that was wheelchair bound after having his spine severed by a hit from an AK, and he had been stationed on Bragg - home of the 504th. If it was the same guy, he was cool as hell, and didn't play the sympathy card lightly - at one point, he specifically requested that someone on stage make fun of him, and he laughed harder than anyone else in the bar when he got hammered for being a retard in a wheelchair. He even thanked the dude for making him laugh after...

No vet deserves that shit. Even if they couldn't help him, you don't fucking laugh at them over the phone.

Graveyard

Jul 28, 2012
I live in the area that this happened in. He wasn't playing the sympathy card and he never asked anyone to carry him down the stairs. He merely needed someone to carry his bags and wheelchair while he, I guess, used his upper body to get himself down the stairs. This dude got shot in the spine while providing cover for his squadmates, he's a real man and a true hero, and didn't deserve the shitty treatment he got.