NETFLIX House of Cards Final Season - Dropped on November 2, 2018

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
I got about halfway through ep 1. Hard to watch with Claire pretending to be ballsy. I'm gonna try to push through anyway. Miss Frank.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Aug 25, 2002
NYC
I'm gonna try to push through anyway.
I couldn't. I'm not sure in what situation I would ever watch this season; not even recovering in a hospital with nothing else to watch.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I'm watching it. Diane Lane will keep me interested. She's my favorite over-50 actress.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I'm watching it. Diane Lane will keep me interested. She's my favorite over-50 actress.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I'm 4 episodes in and would like to discuss it. It's not good by a long shot.

Lane looks great.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004

Lane looks great.
So go ahead and discuss. If you make any of it sound worthwhile, maybe some of us will jump back in. I still haven't gone back, frankly without Francis it just doesn't feel like House of Cards to me.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast

Lane looks great.
She is amazingly hot for her age.

The show is average at best. Besides ogling Diane Lane, I'm watching it just to see how it all wraps up.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
I don’t like what they did to
Doug’s character

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I don’t like what they did to
Doug’s character
Can you be more specific? They do shitty things to his character at least twice an episode.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
Can you be more specific? They do shitty things to his character at least twice an episode.
turning him into completely obsessed with Frank rather than he was smart, cold and calculated. It seemed like Claire knew the entire time that Doug killed Frank. There doesn’t seem to be any logic to progress the character the way they did especially after taking a murder rap for Frank and then turn around and claim that he had to protect the name from the man or whatever bullshit line he stated in the oval. Also how in the fuck would everyone not come running in during that final scene. Ugh.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
turning him into completely obsessed with Frank rather than he was smart, cold and calculated. It seemed like Claire knew the entire time that Doug killed Frank. There doesn’t seem to be any logic to progress the character the way they did especially after taking a murder rap for Frank and then turn around and claim that he had to protect the name from the man or whatever bullshit line he stated in the oval. Also how in the fuck would everyone not come running in during that final scene. Ugh.
So you're finished. Good, now I can rant and look like a fool.

I had no idea the point of that season. It seemed to shift every episode, and some times multiple parts throughout each episode.

To give Wright some credit, I thought this was the first season where you kind of got to see the warmth facade they claimed she had during the election season but only seemed colder and colder.

But maybe that's always been the biggest problem with the show - it doesn't realize how the public would actually respond to any of this. I see how that could have worked in the first two seasons because who gives a damn about some nobody Georgia Senator, but once the Underwoods hit the main stage they'd be under much greater scrutiny. Even when they become President, all this weird crap goes on around them constantly, and to the very end, everyone's still like "What you talking about Tom Hammerschmidt? You cray."

Consider when Claire disappears for a month, then fires her entire Cabinet trying to oust her, and replaces them with an all female Cabinet. You're telling me that the public would be on any President's side who acted like that much of a lunatic? Ignores the country for a month only to return to fire everyone because they tried to get her to do her job?

I couldn't tell the point the show was trying to make about feminism. Sometimes it felt like Claire was genuine, and sometimes it was obvious she was using it as a weapon. Because she was clearly using a pro-female attitude to manipulate people, ESPECIALLY women. (She even says to the camera specifically that she hired the Cabinet people because they'd be useful to her.) Then there was those flashbacks that made it seem as though that was a driving cause for her? I don't know. And there were times when talking heads were criticized for criticizing her because the talking heads were being sexist, except the talking heads were right in criticizing her for the right reasons. I don't know. Satire? Not?

And then we have Doug and his "I needed to protect the legacy from the man or whatever." All this because Frank left him everything in his will? What did Frank actually have? A shit farm in Gaffney? Claire was always richer than him. Did the show think that Frank could will Doug the Presidency? And there were plenty of times when I didn't know if Doug actually was insane or lying or what. Did you also wonder if Frank's diary was fake? Because when he's talking to Constance Zimmer and she's like "Can I listen" and he's like "No," I thought he was making it up. (Side Note: I think it would have been so effective if when Claire listens to the recording, all you heard was Frank's voice saying "Claire" then she throws off the headphones. It could have been repurposed from another episode, but I think that would have been genuinely chilling.)

So getting to the end. Claire goes all Godfather I on her enemies in a way that felt really out there, even for this show. From what I remembered, when Frank eliminated his enemies, he was generally more subtle about it and generally only used people he trusted - like Doug. In this, Claire is getting people to snipe or poison some of the most powerful people in the country who are in hiding. How is she pulling that off? Was it all that one dude? The deaths seemed very conspicuous in a non-Underwoodian way and done more out of show laziness than trying to make any point.

Because if it was trying to make a point, the ending might have made a bit more sense. That Claire has convinced herself she is so untouchable and has gone so mad with power that she blatantly murders people in the Oval Office now. (By stabbing someone once in the stomach with a letter opener, which somehow causes Doug to bleed out like a stuck pig plus have Movie Death Mouth Blood.) Kind of in a 120 Days of Sodom, anything goes way. And for whatever satiric point the show wants to make, she gets away with it. Yet that wasn't what the show was going for or if it was, that wasn't how I felt at the end. All I was left thinking was "how is she going to explain this? Wait, aren't we about to nuke Russia?"

Think of all the plotlines that go nowhere, particularly with the Shepherds. Greg Kinnear seeming like the big bad and then halfway through he gets super cancer and sits the rest of the season out. The Shepherd Freedom Foundation app data mining. Whatever the fuck it was with Diane Lane's son, who I thought was going to be either her/Greg Kinnear's incest baby, or Frank's baby, or something? But instead it was her housekeeper's one night stand with some rando?

Fuck I almost forgot to mention the BABY! Was I the only one convinced something was hinky about the baby? It seemed like Frank had been dead for months. Then Claire says, "well Doug gets nothing if Frank has an heir." Then the next scene she's pregnant.

If I had the initiative or motivation or didn't think I'd get bored sooner than later, I'd want to do some sort of Real World Political House of Cards blog/podcast from the perspective of someone in the House of Cards universe. No internal sources, just what we'd know as the public from what the show has put out. Because that world must be even crazier without knowing what's happening behind the scenes.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Aug 25, 2002
NYC
They at least close this permanently with Claire being killed or imprisoned at the end?

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
So you're finished. Good, now I can rant and look like a fool.

I had no idea the point of that season. It seemed to shift every episode, and some times multiple parts throughout each episode.

To give Wright some credit, I thought this was the first season where you kind of got to see the warmth facade they claimed she had during the election season but only seemed colder and colder.

But maybe that's always been the biggest problem with the show - it doesn't realize how the public would actually respond to any of this. I see how that could have worked in the first two seasons because who gives a damn about some nobody Georgia Senator, but once the Underwoods hit the main stage they'd be under much greater scrutiny. Even when they become President, all this weird crap goes on around them constantly, and to the very end, everyone's still like "What you talking about Tom Hammerschmidt? You cray."

Consider when Claire disappears for a month, then fires her entire Cabinet trying to oust her, and replaces them with an all female Cabinet. You're telling me that the public would be on any President's side who acted like that much of a lunatic? Ignores the country for a month only to return to fire everyone because they tried to get her to do her job?

I couldn't tell the point the show was trying to make about feminism. Sometimes it felt like Claire was genuine, and sometimes it was obvious she was using it as a weapon. Because she was clearly using a pro-female attitude to manipulate people, ESPECIALLY women. (She even says to the camera specifically that she hired the Cabinet people because they'd be useful to her.) Then there was those flashbacks that made it seem as though that was a driving cause for her? I don't know. And there were times when talking heads were criticized for criticizing her because the talking heads were being sexist, except the talking heads were right in criticizing her for the right reasons. I don't know. Satire? Not?

And then we have Doug and his "I needed to protect the legacy from the man or whatever." All this because Frank left him everything in his will? What did Frank actually have? A shit farm in Gaffney? Claire was always richer than him. Did the show think that Frank could will Doug the Presidency? And there were plenty of times when I didn't know if Doug actually was insane or lying or what. Did you also wonder if Frank's diary was fake? Because when he's talking to Constance Zimmer and she's like "Can I listen" and he's like "No," I thought he was making it up. (Side Note: I think it would have been so effective if when Claire listens to the recording, all you heard was Frank's voice saying "Claire" then she throws off the headphones. It could have been repurposed from another episode, but I think that would have been genuinely chilling.)

So getting to the end. Claire goes all Godfather I on her enemies in a way that felt really out there, even for this show. From what I remembered, when Frank eliminated his enemies, he was generally more subtle about it and generally only used people he trusted - like Doug. In this, Claire is getting people to snipe or poison some of the most powerful people in the country who are in hiding. How is she pulling that off? Was it all that one dude? The deaths seemed very conspicuous in a non-Underwoodian way and done more out of show laziness than trying to make any point.

Because if it was trying to make a point, the ending might have made a bit more sense. That Claire has convinced herself she is so untouchable and has gone so mad with power that she blatantly murders people in the Oval Office now. (By stabbing someone once in the stomach with a letter opener, which somehow causes Doug to bleed out like a stuck pig plus have Movie Death Mouth Blood.) Kind of in a 120 Days of Sodom, anything goes way. And for whatever satiric point the show wants to make, she gets away with it. Yet that wasn't what the show was going for or if it was, that wasn't how I felt at the end. All I was left thinking was "how is she going to explain this? Wait, aren't we about to nuke Russia?"

Think of all the plotlines that go nowhere, particularly with the Shepherds. Greg Kinnear seeming like the big bad and then halfway through he gets super cancer and sits the rest of the season out. The Shepherd Freedom Foundation app data mining. Whatever the fuck it was with Diane Lane's son, who I thought was going to be either her/Greg Kinnear's incest baby, or Frank's baby, or something? But instead it was her housekeeper's one night stand with some rando?

Fuck I almost forgot to mention the BABY! Was I the only one convinced something was hinky about the baby? It seemed like Frank had been dead for months. Then Claire says, "well Doug gets nothing if Frank has an heir." Then the next scene she's pregnant.

If I had the initiative or motivation or didn't think I'd get bored sooner than later, I'd want to do some sort of Real World Political House of Cards blog/podcast from the perspective of someone in the House of Cards universe. No internal sources, just what we'd know as the public from what the show has put out. Because that world must be even crazier without knowing what's happening behind the scenes.
They should’ve kept Spacey or just ended it instead of shoehorning this shitty season

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
They should’ve kept Spacey or just ended it instead of shoehorning this shitty season
I type all that and this is your response? Why do I even...

I will say one positive thing for this season - I wasn't bored. Because I've seen bad shows that are a slog to get through. I've seen good shows that are a slog to get through. But much like Goliath Season 1, I was consistently entertained because of how stupid and ridiculous it was. And I'd take that over a good slog.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
I type all that and this is your response? Why do I even...

I will say one positive thing for this season - I wasn't bored. Because I've seen bad shows that are a slog to get through. I've seen good shows that are a slog to get through. But much like Goliath Season 1, I was consistently entertained because of how stupid and ridiculous it was. And I'd take that over a good slog.
I’m sorry, I actually agreed with what you said. I was sick this weekend.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Does Dianne Lane get naked? If so give the episode season, number and Timestamp.
Sadly no. There is a scene of her in bed under the sheets and you can see the top of her boobs. It's enough to tell that you definitely would want to see the rest. But, that's it.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
Definitely not but I haven’t had enough brain cells to put together a thought out paragraph about how I felt about the “final” season which I don’t see how they can end it now. I liked the BBC version which was good and how the Netflix version took bits and pieces.

It just seems like the whole thing went up in flames with the Spacey accusations and they pushed with a supremely subpar script and storyline and thought the name itself would carry them.

I almost waited for a
Braveheart moment where Greg Kinnear was dying in bed and you hear Claire on tv and it pushes him over the edge

I just really didn’t like what they did with Doug along with the open plot holes and storylines which I seriously think they are gonna push for another season.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
Sadly no. There is a scene of her in bed under the sheets and you can see the top of her boobs. It's enough to tell that you definitely would want to see the rest. But, that's it.
I’d fuck her....shit I’d fuck Sophia Loren

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Definitely not but I haven’t had enough brain cells to put together a thought out paragraph about how I felt about the “final” season which I don’t see how they can end it now. I liked the BBC version which was good and how the Netflix version took bits and pieces.

It just seems like the whole thing went up in flames with the Spacey accusations and they pushed with a supremely subpar script and storyline and thought the name itself would carry them.

I almost waited for a
Braveheart moment where Greg Kinnear was dying in bed and you hear Claire on tv and it pushes him over the edge

I just really didn’t like what they did with Doug along with the open plot holes and storylines which I seriously think they are gonna push for another season.
No, really you're fine.

I actually thought the same thing with Greg Kinnear. It was too obvious for them not to do. Complete with him dyingly accidentally knocking a glass off the table.

Here's another stupid thing from the show I just remembered from the final episode.

Doug asks Claire if the daughter - who I still don't get the timeline - will ever hear the diary and Claire says she'll never even hear his voice. But he was the President of the United States. Of course she'll hear his voice if she takes any 21st century history class. Or documentary. Or YouTube.

And I get what the "point" of her statement, but it was just stupid.

ANOTHER STUPID THING.

In the second to last episode or third to last, Claire is giving an interview to Avocado Journalist and at some point in the interview, she turns directly to the camera and says. "Come get me Doug." Wouldn't that raise a lot of questions? And even if it didn't, would it just be flat out weird? Claire's all about being cold and calculating and professional and then in a national interview she goes "gloves off fucko" to a guy she just pardoned for murder?
So while it was terrible, I have to give credit to any movie or TV show that makes remember the most inconsequential details. Might be for the wrong reasons, but it's something so rare.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
No, really you're fine.

I actually thought the same thing with Greg Kinnear. It was too obvious for them not to do. Complete with him dyingly accidentally knocking a glass off the table.

Here's another stupid thing from the show I just remembered from the final episode.

Doug asks Claire if the daughter - who I still don't get the timeline - will ever hear the diary and Claire says she'll never even hear his voice. But he was the President of the United States. Of course she'll hear his voice if she takes any 21st century history class. Or documentary. Or YouTube.

And I get what the "point" of her statement, but it was just stupid.

ANOTHER STUPID THING.

In the second to last episode or third to last, Claire is giving an interview to Avocado Journalist and at some point in the interview, she turns directly to the camera and says. "Come get me Doug." Wouldn't that raise a lot of questions? And even if it didn't, would it just be flat out weird? Claire's all about being cold and calculating and professional and then in a national interview she goes "gloves off fucko" to a guy she just pardoned for murder?
So while it was terrible, I have to give credit to any movie or TV show that makes remember the most inconsequential details. Might be for the wrong reasons, but it's something so rare.
If anyone
knocked her up it was Tom Yates