How do drug sting operations work?

justifyyourgarb

You drab South Bend cocksuckers are all the same.
Mar 15, 2007
So, I was thinking about this movie I saw the other day.

In the movie, this guy sells a guy and a girl a fair amount of dope. While he's doing so, he notices his name is getting said a lot, and the guy and the girl are already shady. So then later, the guy's handsome, intelligent friend goes online, and sees that the guy and the girl were arrested recently for possession.

What they don't explain in the movie is, is it over? Do they have him already, or do they have to do it again to get him? If the guy just drops off the face of the Earth, and doesn't hold shit any more, does the character in the movie have anything to worry about?

boardsofcanada

You're a Charcoal Briquette..ditsoon..a moolinyan
Jun 8, 2006
Somehow I get the feeling "the character in the movie" has the same name as you...

justifyyourgarb

Mar 15, 2007
Somehow I get the feeling "the character in the movie" has the same name as you...
IF I had to pick a character from the movie I related to most, it would be the smart good looking guy who realized before you do business with someone, you may want to check online, especially if the character from that movie was a known piece of shit.

But that's just if I was forced to pick a character from said movie.

Jan 6, 2006
In most cases, there is an informant that gives up a big dealer because the cops threaten them to hard time unless they roll.

In some cases, narc's get close and are cops the whole time but that's usually to infiltrate big organizations.

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
They have him already. He can be arrested anytime for it

justifyyourgarb

Mar 15, 2007

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
They have him already. He can be arrested anytime for it
While I agree with you and VT, why wouldn't they nail him on the spot? Is it normal to wait a few days before nabbing him?

My only guess would be one of those early morning raids where they round up like 30-40 petty dealers all over. Is that the way this crap goes down?

Oh, and the best part about the intelligent, handsome friend is that he's also incredibly modest.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
It could be that, or it could be part of a bigger picture thing -- like trying to get him to increase the amount he will sell to them or try to get him on other charges like weapons or conspiracy.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
I hope that by dope you mean heroin, not weed. And I don't think any dope dealers use their real names when dealing with junkies. Not even the stupid ones.

They also don't have handsome and intelligent friends.

justifyyourgarb

Mar 15, 2007
I hope that by dope you mean heroin, not weed. And I don't think any dope dealers use their real names when dealing with junkies. Not even the stupid ones.

They also don't have handsome and intelligent friends.
Nope. Pot. They called it dope in the movie.
It could be that, or it could be part of a bigger picture thing -- like trying to get him to increase the amount he will sell to them or try to get him on other charges like weapons or conspiracy.
I don't think that's a possibility (from the parts of the movie I saw, anyway).

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Nope. Pot. They called it dope in the movie.
The new generation in Hollywood should really stick to movies about rich yuppies and their daddy issues. Or comic book movies. They know nothing about anything else.

sniper2323

The true north Idaho P.O.W.
Aug 3, 2006
Far North Idaho is Home
While I agree with you and VT, why wouldn't they nail him on the spot? Is it normal to wait a few days before nabbing him?

My only guess would be one of those early morning raids where they round up like 30-40 petty dealers all over. Is that the way this crap goes down?

Oh, and the best part about the intelligent, handsome friend is that he's also incredibly modest.
Its known as building a case...

Example 1. Informant makes one buy and bang nail dealer. Go to court. We caught him as he sold drugs. This (cough cough) "movie actor" claims it only happened this one time, or tries to have the one buy thrown out. Result: Real light sentence, if any.

Example 2. Informant makes many buys and try to work in a Narc officer to make buys. After several or many buys, all documented, the "movie actor" gets busted. Now you, umm I mean the "actor" will face many charges. Better possibility to roll on a source, or if no source, you get put away for a lot longer as they have proven this has been going on for some time, and shows a history of dealing drugs. As for dropping off the face of the earth, good luck with that, "actor".

BTW, I have this "friend" who is an "actor" who plays a drug dealer............

flyerfan116

Fuckin savages
Apr 14, 2005
NJ
You would think they would address a big detail like that by the end of the movie. Maybe you fell asleep and missed how the plot was resolved?

btw...the actor and any handsome accomplices are most likely fucked:trollol:

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
you need to find a new hobby because watching movies is going to get you in trouble. but if the dealer was smart he would get rid of all the cash that he got for that deal as quickly as possible and tell those shit birds to hit the road when they come peddling pills or asking for them, while hes at it it might be in his best interest to take a break for a few months.

oh and your going to jail ;)

sniper2323

The true north Idaho P.O.W.
Aug 3, 2006
Far North Idaho is Home
I'm guessing justifyyourgarb wont be posting much here much anymore. I heard of a person in their late 20's being Monitored by the DEA, and local law enforcement. Search warrants were served, several months ago, on ISP's, banking institutions, etc. The location is also under 24/7 surveillance, to include laser mikes, wiretaps, bugs (Audio and Video, both inside and outside), GPS tracking devices have been planted on items of clothing the subject wears, All cell phone carriers have provided surprising willingness to assist, within the court order, to turn over any and all records to include prepaid providers. Many informants have been involved, some of which have stated they have known him for years, some only a few weeks. If convicted, with all the evidence already collected, this individual will serve a minimum of 125 years w/ good behavior and early parole.

I love messing with pot heads! :action-sm

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
What's the name of the movie?

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Right now (in the movie) there are two convicted drug users as witnesses to the deal, and perhaps audio. Not the best evidence. Cops really want video or an undercover officer making a purchase to bring a case.

I think the friend needs to take a break from dealing for a while.