How do I....

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
get a civilian job with the military? Is there a web site with job postings?

I'm just looking for someone to point me in the right direction. If you think you can get me an in, feel free to PM me.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
If you dig through some .mil sites, (coast for example) I know they're out there. I can't remember what kind of hoops you'd have to jump through.

I obviously don't have any kinda pull. I got nuthin.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
You came to Wackbag for employment advice?!

You're a perfect fit for being a military contractor. :action-sm

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
ive heard that haliberton, is paying big bucks for truck drivers in bagdad....... you have to supply your own bullet proof vest, but there paying 6 figures

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
Is there a reason why you want to limit yourself to only civilian military positions? You might want to think about federal jobs as well. They're just as hard to get but at least it's giving you a few more options.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
i think what your going to find is that most people that are civilian employees of the military are actually contractors, so you might want to look into company's that have large accounts with them, like Lockheed and haliburton ect, other wise you would be a federal employee that is working with or for the military.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
There at least two bases near me but I didn't know how to go about including them in my job search. I'm also open to federal, state, and/or county jobs. I'm also looking at local colleges/universities.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
If you can tell me how to afford my mortgage, student loan payments, and utilities by not working, I'm all ears. :)
Now THAT's a topic for WB!

Now to be helpful... The major contractors and suppliers we used in the Nuke Navy were Delaval, General Dynamics, Westinghouse, ... It's been too many years. If I think of more I'll post later.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be

MonkeyTits

Jun 20, 2005
Why the need to work for the military?

Oh, and you can apply for a deferment for the student loan if you are currently unemployed. You can also claim hardship (of any sort) and they may give you a deferment on that - 6 months. It helps.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
My student loan payment is not a burden, and the outstanding balance isn't that high. It's just another monthly bill.

Like I already said, I've got at least 2 bases near me and didn't know how to find out if they were hiring.

grail

Tahini sauce in my drawers
Sep 24, 2005
MN
www.nswc.navy.mil/

This is one that I interviewed with back in college. Not sure about in NJ. But Dahlgren is just south of DC so it wouldn't be that far of a move. Really cool stuff there.

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
i think what your going to find is that most people that are civilian employees of the military are actually contractors, so you might want to look into company's that have large accounts with them, like Lockheed and haliburton ect, other wise you would be a federal employee that is working with or for the military.
exactly....

jobs with NJ are being axed all over by Corzine....i would take Fez's advice... try to get in with a company that has government contracts... they will pay rate.

My brother for instance has huge contracts with Maguire air force base... his workers are all union plumbers though... just an example... Im sure theres co. that dont hire exclusivly union though.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
I'm at a crossroads. I really don't like what I do, but can't afford to switch careers. I really want to work for my step-dad on a full time basis, but he says they can't afford me. Plus, I'd need health insurance. I really should have learned a trade. Damn white collar career.

Well, I kinda like what I do, but I'm not sure if it's the company I work for or the industry I'm in that sucks.

Razor Roman

Save the USH!
Aug 27, 2002
Sayreville NJ
Just go drive over to Ft. Monmouth in a skirt with your resume. They'll find something for ya.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Yeah, they'll find something for me, and then make me move in a year. No thanks. Maybe I'll try that at NWS Earle.
Have fun going through the checkpoint. I remember seeing them set all that up after 9/11. Back then, I drove past that place on an almost daily basis.

They are consolidating McGuire AFB and Fort Dix. It's going to be a "super base" that makes up for some of the area base closings. That's probably your best shot. But, you probably would have to relocate a bit closer.

Mar 2, 2005
chicago
Well, I kinda like what I do, but I'm not sure if it's the company I work for or the industry I'm in that sucks.
the grass aint greener on the other side. im in the same boat as you. i hate my job, im sick of the long drives, im sick of wearin 30 pounds around the waist,the shittiest conditions possible, and my company is assholes from the top down. i can afford less pay but i need insurance also.

i wish i woulda got a degree in something, damn blue collar career.

but i learned one thing. if you aint happy ya gotta move on cuz it only gets worse. best of luck HT

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
I'm trying to figure out just how bad it is. I used to love this job...office, full internet, no deadlines (except IRS/tax), no OT. Now we're finding things are a mess of shit, and the more we try to clean up the books the more shit we find. I'm routinely working more than 40 hours/wk with no pay or comp time, but I decided that's ending as of last week. If I can't my work done in 40 hours, it's not my problem.

Jef, I already know the grass isn't greener, which is why I'm trying to figure out if I should just suck it up & stay here, or find something new & different. Maybe I should actually put my CPA to work, but I don't want those kinds of hours.