How Has Obamacare Affected You?

Obamacare killed 300,000 jobs, 10,200 companies, $19B in wages

A new report certain to spur quicker GOP action to kill Obamacare finds that it has crushed small businesses forced to participate and robbed employees of $19 billion in wages in 2015.

What's more, the American Action Forum analysis found that Affordable Care Act regulations have cost 295,030 jobs and killed 10,130 small businesses that year.

A similar report on Obamacare's regulatory impact in 2014 put the price at $22 billion in lost wages.

Based on federal data, the report said, "We found that since the ACA became law, among small businesses, the rise in premiums has been associated with $19 billion in lost wages, 10,130 fewer business establishments, and nearly 300,000 lost jobs, with seven states losing more than 10,000 jobs, all results consistent with our previous research. Given the premium spikes in some states, 17 percent to 47 percent, it is not difficult to understand how the labor market reacts to the significant increase in health care costs. In fact, regulators predicted many of these increases when they first implemented the law."

The report provides cost details and estimates for each state, and mentions a few in the executive summary:

"Research from the American Action Forum (AAF) finds regulations from the Affordable Care Act (ACA) are driving up health care premiums and are costing small business employees at least $19 billion in lost wages annually. These figures varied by state, but in 2015 the ACA cost year-round workers $2,095, $2,134, and $2,260 in Ohio, New York, and North Dakota, respectively. Premium increases, a prospect regulators predicted when issuing the first ACA regulations, also significantly diminished the number of business establishments and jobs nationwide. Across the country, small businesses (20-99 workers) lost 295,030 jobs, 10,130 business establishments, and $4.7 billion in total wage earnings. Florida lost 17,950 jobs; Ohio lost 19,000; Pennsylvania lost 15,680; and Texas lost 28,010 jobs due to higher sensitivity to rising health care premiums and the ACA."

See the full report and state statistics here.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2612199/

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Unpossible.

20 million people are now insured thanks to Obamacare, and over 15 million job created...at least according to the beloved former VP...

Dikbag

I think we should just put everyone on medicare b/c Jerry Springer said it was a good idea

And another one's gone, and another one's gone...Another one bites the dust

Humana to drop out of ObamaCare at end of 2017
Health insurance company Humana announced Tuesday that it would leave the ObamaCare market in 2018.

The insurer said it would offer plans through 2017, but that the market has not stabilized enough to participate next year.

Humana said it was losing money from taking on too many sick people without enough healthy people to balance the pools.

The decision came after Humana scaled back participation and raised premiums, among other changes.

"All of these actions were taken with the expectation that the company’s Individual Commercial business would stabilize to the point where the company could continue to participate in the program," the company said in a statement.

"However, based on its initial analysis of data associated with the company’s healthcare exchange membership following the 2017 open enrollment period, Humana is seeing further signs of an unbalanced risk pool."

“Therefore, the company has decided that it cannot continue to offer this coverage for 2018. Through the remainder of 2017, Humana remains committed to serving its current members across 11 states where it offers Individual Commercial products. And, as it has done in the past, Humana will work closely with its state partners as it navigates this process.”

Humana scaled back its exchange participation to 11 states and 156 counties in 2017, down from 1,351 counties in 19 states the previous year.

The withdrawal will have a big impact in Tennessee, where it is the only exchange insurer in several countries.

Humana is also one of only two insurers in dozens of counties in states like Mississippi and Georgia.

The move comes as other insurers worry about the looming ObamaCare repeal push in Congress.

While Humana did not cite repeal as a reason for dropping out of the marketplace, other insurance companies have warned that they might withdraw if lawmakers don't move to stabilize the market.

Earlier Tuesday, Aetna and Humana called off a planned merger after a federal court ruling last month blocked the deal.
http://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...p-out-of-obamacare-marketplace-at-end-of-2017

lajikal

And with the latest win for healthy taxpayers, obamacare is dead. Gud. LOL!!

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
The move comes as other insurers worry about the looming ObamaCare repeal push in Congress.

While Humana did not cite repeal as a reason for dropping out of the marketplace, other insurance companies have warned that they might withdraw if lawmakers don't move to stabilize the market.
But...it will be Trump's fault, as he is in control and any Obamacare failures can now be blamed on him.

The old "Obamacare was totally going to work until Trump came along and roooooned it" excuse.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
But...it will be Trump's fault, as he is in control and any Obamacare failures can now be blamed on him.

The old "Obamacare was totally going to work until Trump came along and roooooned it" excuse.
It was so good, Obama kept postponing the actual enforcement of it. Because when something's prefect, you want to put it off as long as possible.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Glad to see Obamacare solved the prescription drug cost crisis. Insurance covered most of my son's Tamiflu, but we still had to pay $102 for the few pills they give you.

Floyd1977

Glad to see Obamacare solved the prescription drug cost crisis. Insurance covered most of my son's Tamiflu, but we still had to pay $102 for the few pills they give you.
At least you got that. Our family plan doesn't see a dime until we pay off a $6000 deductible. Few years ago it was nothing but employee contributions and minor co-pays. Obamacare stinks.

steve500

For Tamiflu..or just about any other branded rx, you can usually get copay discount cards from the manufacturer's website. They started doing this much more after sambo-care because the struggling insurance companies are doing things like bumping up drug tiers and copay percentages in order to try to stay solvent.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
At least you got that. Our family plan doesn't see a dime until we pay off a $6000 deductible. Few years ago it was nothing but employee contributions and minor co-pays. Obamacare stinks.
We're in the same boat. About a 6G yearly deduction needs
to be met before the policy kicks in. Used to get almost full
coverage except for some small co-pays.

Floyd1977

We're in the same boat. About a 6G yearly deduction needs
to be met before the policy kicks in. Used to get almost full
coverage except for some small co-pays.
And the irony is that all this shit is going to cause so much more money down the line simply because people are going to stop going to doctors to get preventable things checked out. "Oh, that strange lump in my neck? Eh, I'll wait a few months to see if it goes away." Oh, those meds that keep me from killin ya all? Too expensive, to see the doc to get my script refilled and too expensive for the script itself, so I'll take my chances"

domelogic

Well another insurer is biting the Obamacare dust. Anthem is out in most states

Anthem pulls the plug: No, Obamacare really is not doing well

Republicans insist that Obamacare is collapsing. That probably overstates the case. but it's at least more tethered to reality than Democrats' claims that the law is working well, going strong, and can only fall apart because Republicans are undermining it. The latest proof: Anthem's apparent decision to withdraw from most or all of the Obamacare markets where it currently participates.

In 2017, for the first time, residents of one-third of U.S. counties can choose only one insurance provider. This decision, driven by the company's lack of profitability on the Obamacare exchanges, means that next year there could be zero choices in some places.

At great expense and with many complications in the process, Obamacare created a massive subsidized insurance exchange within the broader individual health insurance market. Today, roughly 12 million Americans participate in that exchange. Premiums there have risen sharply since 2013 due to the fact that so many of the new customers are older and sicker, and also because the insurance is now required to cover many things it didn't have to before.

Yet at the same time, most of the consumers there don't notice, because the taxpayer picks up some or all of the tab in the exchange for people who have lower incomes. That's the part of Obamacare people are most likely to miss. And of course, the other desirable outcome of Obamacare is that so many more people have insurance, at least on paper, even if their deductibles are so high that it amounts to what we once would have called a catastrophic policy.

The problem is that even with the large double-digit premium hikes of recent years, the government subsidies, and a mandate that forces customers to purchase the product under penalty of law, insurers have been mostly losing their shirts in Obamacare's exchanges.

That's why several of the key players have dropped out of the Obamacare exchanges. Seventeen of the 21 non-profit cooperatives that were set up with Obamacare subsidies have already gone out of business. United Health Group and Aetna dropped out of most markets already. Recently, Humana announced that it was quitting Obamacare starting next year.

And today, Anthem, which lost $374 million on Obamacare last year, is signaling that this year will probably be its last in "a high percentage" of the geographic markets where it currently participates in Obamacare.

If Anthem quits, consumers in parts of Colorado, Kentucky, Missouri and Ohio would be at risk of having no Obamacare insurers for next year, according to an analysis from Axios, a news website. Humana's exit, similarly, will leave parts of Tennessee with no ACA insurance options, though state officials have said they're working to attract other insurers.

Democrats have been quick to adopt a "lost cause" version of history as an excuse. They blame Republicans for a provision they passed and which President Obama signed. That provision clarified (the original law was ambiguous) that taxpayers would not be on the hook for insurer losses under the risk corridor program that had been set up for the first three years of Obamacare. The idea of the risk corridor program was that as insurers settled into Obamacare, the ones that were wildly successful would pay into a pool, from which insurers that set their initial premiums too low and ended up suffering massive losses would be subsidized.

Atomic Fireball

Donator
My ________ has ________, and was saved by Obamacare. I / my family / my dog [select one] would be out in the street / lose our house / turn blue / rectal prolapse / bankrupt [select one] without Obamacare. Thanks, you guys just killed / bankrupted / anally raped [select one] me / my family / small woodland animals [select one].

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
My ________ has ________, and was saved by Obamacare. I / my family / my dog [select one] would be out in the street / lose our house / turn blue / rectal prolapse / bankrupt [select one] without Obamacare. Thanks, you guys just killed / bankrupted / anally raped [select one] me / my family / small woodland animals [select one].
Yep. Expect to see the sob stories daily for the foreseeable future.

Floyd1977

Yep. Expect to see the sob stories daily for the foreseeable future.
I'm actually expecting the more liberal outlets to list everyone by name who lost coverage.

But I've said it before, and I'll reiterate. More people in the long run will die because of Obamacare. Due to the crippling deductibles, many are going to stop going to doctors. "That strange lump on my neck?....I'll give it another month or two before I get it checked out". "That tightness and pangs in my chest?....eh, it's probably just indigestion or anxiety". My Schitzo meds refill?.....I'm kind of short this month, I'll just have to take my chances". Those coughing fits?....probably just lung fever.

Last edited: