How Has Obamacare Affected You?

Haeder

South Dakota
Another $250 bill from the hospital for a preventative procedure my wife got. So we're up to about a grand to make sure she doesn't have cancer. You'd think feminists would take issue that women who have insurance still have to pay out of pocket for preventative shit like mammograms and pelvic exams.
Unpossible.

Racist.

Reported.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
My company just unveiled 2018 employee based coverage plans. No deductible increase and no increase in what they take out of my paycheck. Vision plan did increase and there's a new surcharge if I wanted to add my wife to my plan. So I shouldn't be affected at all, and according to others, this is the first time since 2011 that there wasn't a substantial increase. Thanks Trump.

Floyd1977

It's a isolated incident, but it's along the lines of what I predicted with Obamacare. People taking chances on their health as opposed to paying the resulting increased prices.

Teacher died after she balked at $116 co-pay for flu medicine
By Kari Paul, Marketwatch

Heather Holland, 38, a second-grade teacher in Texas, came home early from work last month feeling mildly sick with flu symptoms and fatigued. Over the next few days, she decided not to pay a $116 co-payment for medication, and within a week, she had died.

Her husband, Frank Holland, said she could have afforded the medication, but she refused to buy it because it was so expensive. He bought the medication when her health deteriorated. “I have to be strong for the kids but it’s still surreal, it hasn’t all set in,” Frank Holland told the Weatherford Democrat. “We’ve been together a long time, over half my life.”

Not taking medication or taking it incorrectly is responsible for 125,000 deaths per year and costs the American health care system between $100 billion and $289 billion a year, a study published by the Annals of Internal Medicine found.

People often skip medication for financial reasons. One in five people have opted not to fill a prescription because it is too expensive, according to a poll from the Henry J. Kaiser Family Association, and the numbers are even higher for low-income Americans, with 30 percent of people who make less than $40,000 per year saying cost has prevented them from getting prescription drugs.

The problem is more pronounced in populations with chronic illness, as 50 percent of medications are for chronic disease, according to the study in the Annals of Internal Medicine.

“This story is surprising, but not shocking,” said Caitlin Donovan, a spokeswoman at the National Patient Advocate Foundation, a nonprofit that provides mediation for patients regarding medical debt. “Patients have been screaming about the costs of all sorts of things that have to do with health care. This is a highly preventable death and we should be living in a society that does not allow that to happen.”

President Donald Trump has criticized the high prices of drugs in the US, calling the fact that identical drugs are available in other countries at lower prices “very, very unfair.”

In January, he appointed Alex Azar, an ex-pharmaceutical industry executive, as head of the Department of Health and Human Services and directed him to lower drug prices. Some critics have expressed skepticism that Azar will come through on those promises because of his close ties to the pharmaceutical industry.

The budget proposal released by HHS on Friday made suggestions for a number of cost-cutting measures including allowing up to five states to collectively negotiate drug prices for Medicaid, cutting Medicare payments to discourage doctors from prescribing higher price drugs, and putting a cap on out-of-pocket spending on prescription drugs for Medicare enrollees.

Floyd1977

Just dumb and now dead. Great choice for your kids dummy
Sure, in retrospect it seems dumb, but I can't imagine this woman really expected to die. What relatively young person thinks they're going to die from the Flu? I'd probably be the same way, I'll just suck up the symptoms for another day or two.

domelogic

Sure, in retrospect it seems dumb, but I can't imagine this woman really expected to die. What relatively young person thinks they're going to die from the Flu? I'd probably be the same way, I'll just suck up the symptoms for another day or two.
Really? All those people the news reported that have died of the flu or them telling you how bad this flu season is was not enough. If this was during the summer or not in high flu season I could see but it has been reported about way to much to not take seriously

Floyd1977

Really? All those people the news reported that have died of the flu or them telling you how bad this flu season is was not enough. If this was during the summer or not in high flu season I could see but it has been reported about way to much to not take seriously
How many people? I haven't looked up all the stats, but is there a chance that the deaths aren't all that abnormal but that the media has latched onto it this year?

domelogic

How many people? I haven't looked up all the stats, but is there a chance that the deaths aren't all that abnormal but that the media has latched onto it this year?

It was over 60 the last I read. Even if it was 10 I would buy the medication and I never go to the doctor. When it is this bad I am going and taking whatever they tell me. The people I know that have had it are out of work/school almost a week.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Bulllshit, if it bleads it leads, and this year it’s the flu and how trump wants to cut Obamacare, trust me they will find some fucked up mental gymnastics way to try and blame it on trump or the CDC under trump, and not the absolute cluster fuck that Obamacare has created

THE FEZ MAN

It was over 60 the last I read. Even if it was 10 I would buy the medication and I never go to the doctor. When it is this bad I am going and taking whatever they tell me. The people I know that have had it are out of work/school almost a week.
You get the flu, a virus, go to the dr it takes 14 days to get out of your system, if you do nothing? It clears up in two weeks.

Floyd1977

Finding out too late that you have cancer — thanks to ObamaCare
By Betsy McCaughey

Beware: Many breast- and prostate-cancer patients are getting diagnosed late in the game because of ObamaCare’s skimpy cancer-screening regulations.

Remember when President Barack Obama repeatedly told Americans that greedy doctors were over-testing and over-treating them, and federal rules were needed to stop it? Now the evidence is in: Some of those rules are killing us.

Inadequate cancer screening is forcing women to undergo mastectomies and men to endure aggressive treatments with side effects. Many could have avoided these outcomes, as well as an increased risk of death, if they’d been diagnosed earlier.

Last Friday, Dr. Elisa Port, chief of breast surgery at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York, presented compelling evidence at the American Society of Breast Surgeons’ annual meeting about the harm done to women because of the Obama administration’s stingy approach to screening.

Starting in the 1980s, American women age 40 and over were advised to get annual mammograms. The result: Women diagnosed with breast cancer had smaller, more treatable tumors after annual mammograms became the standard of care. But in 2009, under Obama, the United States Preventative Services Task Force declared women were getting too many mammograms. The USPSTF changed the recommendation from yearly starting at age 40 to once every two years starting at age 50.

Worse, the Affordable Care Act gave that task force new clout, mandating that insurance companies pay for tests it recommends with no out-of-pocket costs. Not so for other tests. Millions of women were suddenly misled into thinking the USPSTF’s meager new screening schedule was enough. Now the dire consequences are emerging.

Port’s blockbuster study showed that women who hadn’t had yearly mammograms were diagnosed with later-stage cancer, more apt to have the disease in their lymph nodes and likelier to need mastectomies and chemotherapy than women who got yearly screenings. Port emphasized that her findings apply to women in their 40s too. She urged them to get screened yearly.

Men got bad news from another blockbuster study just published in the Journal of Urology showing the harm done to prostate-cancer patients by ObamaCare and the Preventative Services Task Force. Almost 30 years ago, widespread use of a simple blood test — the PSA (prostate specific antigen) test — reduced the death rate from prostate cancer and the likelihood the cancer had metastasized to other parts of the body.

PSA testing allowed cancer to be caught early. But in 2012, despite an outcry from urologists, the task force announced that men should no longer routinely get the test.

Now, the latest prostate-cancer research shows the alarming results. In the years since the USPSTF’s edict, men are being diagnosed when the disease is at a later stage and harder to treat. Medical progress is being reversed.

Even before these headline-grabbing studies, evidence was mounting that the USPSTF’s screening recommendations were harming patients. Last year, research in the Annals of Internal Medicine showed that PSA tests reduce prostate-cancer deaths by almost one-third.

“This is a screening test that saves lives,” said lead author Ruth Etzioni, of Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. Better late than never, the feds backed off their misguided opposition to PSA testing and urged men to consult their own doctors.

Defenders of the skimpy cancer-screening rules insist aggressive testing produces too many false positives, exposing patients to needless anxiety as they wait for a second test or even undergo a biopsy. For every life saved with the PSA test, about five other men will be told they have abnormal cells and be put through the wringer before getting cleared.

But let’s get real. Enduring a false positive, even if it means having to undergo a second test or a biopsy, pales beside being told you have an untreatable cancer that was diagnosed too late, and you should say goodbye to your family.

Finding out too late that you have cancer — thanks to ObamaCare
By Betsy McCaughey

Beware: Many breast- and prostate-cancer patients are getting diagnosed late in the game because of ObamaCare’s skimpy cancer-screening regulations.

Remember when President Barack Obama repeatedly told Americans that greedy doctors were over-testing and over-treating them, and federal rules were needed to stop it? Now the evidence is in: Some of those rules are killing us.

Inadequate cancer screening is forcing women to undergo mastectomies and men to endure aggressive treatments with side effects. Many could have avoided these outcomes, as well as an increased risk of death, if they’d been diagnosed earlier.

Last Friday, Dr. Elisa Port, chief of breast surgery at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York, presented compelling evidence at the American Society of Breast Surgeons’ annual meeting about the harm done to women because of the Obama administration’s stingy approach to screening.

Starting in the 1980s, American women age 40 and over were advised to get annual mammograms. The result: Women diagnosed with breast cancer had smaller, more treatable tumors after annual mammograms became the standard of care. But in 2009, under Obama, the United States Preventative Services Task Force declared women were getting too many mammograms. The USPSTF changed the recommendation from yearly starting at age 40 to once every two years starting at age 50.

Worse, the Affordable Care Act gave that task force new clout, mandating that insurance companies pay for tests it recommends with no out-of-pocket costs. Not so for other tests. Millions of women were suddenly misled into thinking the USPSTF’s meager new screening schedule was enough. Now the dire consequences are emerging.

Port’s blockbuster study showed that women who hadn’t had yearly mammograms were diagnosed with later-stage cancer, more apt to have the disease in their lymph nodes and likelier to need mastectomies and chemotherapy than women who got yearly screenings. Port emphasized that her findings apply to women in their 40s too. She urged them to get screened yearly.

Men got bad news from another blockbuster study just published in the Journal of Urology showing the harm done to prostate-cancer patients by ObamaCare and the Preventative Services Task Force. Almost 30 years ago, widespread use of a simple blood test — the PSA (prostate specific antigen) test — reduced the death rate from prostate cancer and the likelihood the cancer had metastasized to other parts of the body.

PSA testing allowed cancer to be caught early. But in 2012, despite an outcry from urologists, the task force announced that men should no longer routinely get the test.

Now, the latest prostate-cancer research shows the alarming results. In the years since the USPSTF’s edict, men are being diagnosed when the disease is at a later stage and harder to treat. Medical progress is being reversed.

Even before these headline-grabbing studies, evidence was mounting that the USPSTF’s screening recommendations were harming patients. Last year, research in the Annals of Internal Medicine showed that PSA tests reduce prostate-cancer deaths by almost one-third.

“This is a screening test that saves lives,” said lead author Ruth Etzioni, of Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. Better late than never, the feds backed off their misguided opposition to PSA testing and urged men to consult their own doctors.

Defenders of the skimpy cancer-screening rules insist aggressive testing produces too many false positives, exposing patients to needless anxiety as they wait for a second test or even undergo a biopsy. For every life saved with the PSA test, about five other men will be told they have abnormal cells and be put through the wringer before getting cleared.

But let’s get real. Enduring a false positive, even if it means having to undergo a second test or a biopsy, pales beside being told you have an untreatable cancer that was diagnosed too late, and you should say goodbye to your family.
Any opposition to Obama policies is rooted only in racism because white males hated seeing a person of color in the Oval Office.

Therefore.

Breast cancer is racist.

Reported.

THE FEZ MAN

Anyone that thought Obamacare was a good idea because “free” gets the disease they deserve

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
I have sleep apnea, and am due for a new machine along with an updated sleep study. It's scheduled for the end of February. The doctor's secretary just called to tell me it's going to cost me $700. Because, my health insurance has a $1500 deductible and it's the beginning of the year so nothing is met yet.

I could put it off until the deductible is met. But all that means is I'd just have to wait until I spend the $1500 elsewhere, so fuck it. I told them to go ahead and keep the ball rolling.

I have sleep apnea, and am due for a new machine along with an updated sleep study. It's scheduled for the end of February. The doctor's secretary just called to tell me it's going to cost me $700. Because, my health insurance has a $1500 deductible and it's the beginning of the year so nothing is met yet.

I could put it off until the deductible is met. But all that means is I'd just have to wait until I spend the $1500 elsewhere, so fuck it. I told them to go ahead and keep the ball rolling.
Are you able to do the "at-home" sleep study? I'm scheduled for one in February because they lost the records for my last one. All of my previous studies have been at facilities.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Are you able to do the "at-home" sleep study? I'm scheduled for one in February because they lost the records for my last one. All of my previous studies have been at facilities.
My apnea is so severe that the doctor said no bueno for the at-home study. Insurance company didn't fight him on it, but then again, I am fucking paying for it - not them.

They are going to do half of the night without the machine and the other half of the night with the machine so they can determine my new settings which could be the real reason why it's not at home. My brother's insurance made him do the at-home, and when his doctor got the results he said they were worthless. So, he had to do a second study at the facility. What's great is my doctor has his own facility right in his office, two rooms set up like a hotel. It's actually surprisingly nice.

My apnea is so severe that the doctor said no bueno for the at-home study. Insurance company didn't fight him on it, but then again, I am fucking paying for it - not them.

They are going to do half of the night without the machine and the other half of the night with the machine so they can determine my new settings which could be the real reason why it's not at home. My brother's insurance made him do the at-home, and when his doctor got the results he said they were worthless. So, he had to do a second study at the facility. What's great is my doctor has his own facility right in his office, two rooms set up like a hotel. It's actually surprisingly nice.

I've had 2 studies done...the first was in a hospital and as clinical a setting as you can get. The second was in a sleep facility but the room looked like my grandmother's bedroom. Be interesting to see how the at-home one works.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
When I had my first and only study five years ago, they didn't have the at-home version. I'm sure if they did my insurance company would have probably pushed it but I asked the doctor when I was just there two weeks ago about that and he said no the at-home isn't going to work for you.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk