How much should teachers be paid?

oldmandick

Back In Black!!
Donator
The common core is what they are tested on and evaluated on. That's a federal law. So why would a teacher want to teach something different? It just makes no sense.
Not so fast, Pig. The Common Core isn't taught or tested in Virginia. They have their own common curriculum, the Standards of Learning.

Fwiw these common curriculums have a valuable purpose which serves a transient population and teachers who don't know their shit ... a common framework. What has caused the most problems are the assessment tools and what is done with the data.

oldmandick

Back In Black!!
Donator
Can a shop teacher making $35k a year prepare more children to be productive adults than a $90k/year AP English teacher? My argument is yes, and we'd probably see a net increase on return to society.
If Betsy DeVos had a brain she'd steer the fed dollars into vocational ed. The best people I ever worked with in public ed did their thing on the vocational side.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
If Betsy DeVos had a brain she'd steer the fed dollars into vocational ed. The best people I ever worked with in public ed did their thing on the vocational side.
Mike Rowe should be on Trump's cabinet. Education needs a revamp and kids should know STEM fields aren't the be all and end all of a career.