How to break into my own garage? HELP!

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
OK, first let me tell you the layout of my place so you can understand why I can't get into the garage.

My apartment is not in a complex. It's stand-alone, next to other little apartment/houses. I have a driveway and a garage, and my apartment sits on top of the garage. My front door is up the stairs next to the garage door.

Outside the apartment, around back, are 2 doors. One leads to an old storage room/living space that has no practical use, and the other leads to the garage.

Alright, here's my problem.

My garage door won't open. The gears in there work. I know this because I can hear them. But I guess the door got disconnected from the rails somehow and won't move. So I've been parking out in the 110 degree heat for a couple days. I get in my car and I immediately start sweating. It's like driving a damn oven.

As I said, there's a door around back that leads into the garage. The thing is, it's locked from the inside. It's not locked by deadbolt, so my key is useless. It is locked by a hatch thing on the other side of the door. So basically, I can't get into the garage to fix the garage door.

So, any burglars or someone experienced in breaking and entering, or maybe just someone who knows about this kinda shit here on Wackbag? If so, I'd really like to know how the hell I can get into my garage so I can see why the hell my garage door isn't opening.

MAV

what about, um, calling the management office and talking to maintenance? that way you dont have to pay for any damage you do by taking advice from some of us madmen on here.

dont get me wrong, i have suggestions for you fella, but well get into that if the front office cant get in it for you. :D

If the door is disconnected from the gears, technically, you should be able to just pull the door up. There is usually a pull rope on the inside with a handle that will disconnect the door in case of a power outage and reengages by a lever.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
If the door is disconnected from the gears, technically, you should be able to just pull the door up. There is usually a pull rope on the inside with a handle that will disconnect the door in case of a power outage and reengages by a lever.
I can't get inside, remember?

Chin nuts

Your breath smells like a dead baby's coffin.
I'm with Mav on the suggestion on getting your landlord or super involved before you wreck the door. If that's impossible and the door is off it's tracks like you think it is try to see if you can get your car jack or hydraulic jack under the door to lift it enough to get inside(ala Clarice in Silence of the Lambs). Probably have to ask for a spotter to help you just in case the door locks you in and then your in for some real fun. Good Luck.

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
If there is no other means of entry to the garage, they usually install a keyed cylinder which is connected to the string inside so you can pull it from outside if you have the key. If there's not one of these, you'll have a much easier time kicking in the regular door than opening the garage door.

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
I like to say that we point and laugh everyday. We just celebrate it on Friday. Just like OnA WOW promotion.

madbam

I'm on da Zoloft..........
If you have a crowbar and a jack I suggest you try prying up the door with the crowbar and slip the jack under the door and jack it up a-la silence of the lambs when Starling was at that storage place then slip under and fix the door..oh yeah..unlock the back door too..good luck

Captain obvious answer: If you can slide something in to lift the latch on the back door, do that.

If not, it's just a latch, just open the door knob and bust the latch off, then drill it back on later.

MJMANDALAY

If you have long skinny arms, you should be able to fit an arm between the top panel and the rubber flap. Using some force with your other hand push on the top panel. Then reach in and pull the string which should disengadge the mechanics of the door. Then just lift the door. Might be a tight fit, sorry your not close to Newark or I would send some "friends".

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
If you're inside the condo you can try and old schools burglar technique of putting a jack across the door frame and expanding it slightly till the frame disconnects from the catch. Essentially the wood bends so where the knob moves away from the frame. It's ricky as you can mar the paint on the frame.

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Yes, I get it, but you did say the motor is running. Maybe it's already disconnected. Have you tried pulling the door up manually from outside?
This makes alot of sense. Perhaps the springs broke and the thing's torque limiting. Try opening it manually while the motor's running.

jackjack

Can you see inside the garage to know whether a spring broke?
Does the garage door have a panel of glass windows?

If it was my place, I'd first try to add manual lift to the door while operating the motor. If that fails, I'd decide what the least expensive and easiest thing to replace which would get me in was, and break it.
Since you're renting it, make the owner decide what to break.

One time I had a similar situation and decided it was the perfect time to put in that side utility door I always wanted to have. Five minutes later with a sawzall, and I was committed to the project I should have done years earlier.
I know that's not applicable, you don't own it besides you already have the walk-in door..

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
ive build a few of these for the swat team, they work like a charm and save the jammed knees, and ankles

ill cut you a wackbag deal and let you rent one plus shipping for 100$

I'm a little confused about what kind of latch is on the back door.Can you slide something like your D.L. or similar in between the jamb and door and unhook it?

ive build a few of these for the swat team, they work like a charm and save the jammed knees, and ankles

ill cut you a wackbag deal and let you rent one plus shipping for 100$
Is that rhinoliner on that locksmith kit?

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
If you have long skinny arms, you should be able to fit an arm between the top panel and the rubber flap. Using some force with your other hand push on the top panel. Then reach in and pull the string which should disengadge the mechanics of the door. Then just lift the door. Might be a tight fit, sorry your not close to Newark or I would send some "friends".
Mike are you trying to get our lil Shooter jammed in a garage door? all be it funny.... It would bother me.

This is why I am president of Wackbag... stand aside as the knower of all things stupid and worldly speaks.

BREAK THE WINDOW, OPEN THE HATCH, CALL THE LANDLORD AND SAY YOU GOT BROKEN INTO AND TO COME FIX YOUR WINDOW.:action-sm

7cent

Mike are you trying to get our lil Shooter jammed in a garage door? all be it funny.... It would bother me.

This is why I am president of Wackbag... stand aside as the knower of all things stupid and worldly speaks.

BREAK THE WINDOW, OPEN THE HATCH, CALL THE LANDLORD AND SAY YOU GOT BROKEN INTO AND TO COME FIX YOUR WINDOW.:action-sm
I had a roomate that did that. Landlord made us file a police report for the insurance, we said it was teenagers and they took a case of beer.