OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

How you would be different from WWE/TNA

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by UCJOE, Sep 2, 2013.

1. UCJOE

UCJOE I have a lot of business with the Chinese

I had this conversation earlier and obviously you cannot control things like contracts etc from an armchair, but some things can be thought of

I would focus on the belt as the most important, no "GM's", no camera's just happening to catch private conversations in locker rooms, less run-ins, utilize tale of the tape & have announcers talk strategy & the biggest is stop treating the audience like idiots & have continuity.
    Can you image Law & Order having a police Chief fired in storyline & 6 weeks later he is back with zero explanation?
    They keep saying they are like other "episodic s" but they are so far from that level.

2. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

• Put a strong emphasis of strategy and preparation.
    • Write psychologically deep, emotionally intense storylines. Cater to fans who want a more intellectual kind of wrestling. (Do all of this without making the show humorless and not-fun.)
    • Use popular songs instead of in-house music. I would also make sure that the women wrestlers had cool rock or rap themes instead of generic pop or pseudo-'90s R&B bullshit.
    • Have wrestlers do promos in interesting locations in and around the areas surrounding the venues. No dedicated interview backdrop.
    • Get rid of the position of interviewer. When someone cuts a promo, they do it directly to the camera.
    • Keep spending on set design and lighting rigs to a minimum.
    • Have quality graphics and production, but embrace a minimalist, punk rock aesthetic. Utilize negative space where possible.
    • Do all ring introductions MMA style; in the ring instead of as the wrestlers are making their way to the ring.
    • Work smaller venues.
    • No content restrictions when it comes to language.
    I think that's a nice start.

topher520 likes this.
  3. UCJOE

[​IMG]

topher520 and Lord Zero like this.
  4. UCJOE

Seriously - my reply in RED

5. Lord Zero

A heavy and beautiful influence for sure, but I wouldn't emphasize hardcore wrestling or straight-up violence. I would also find some sort of balance between old school booking and modern, progressive booking.

6. Lord Zero

Focusing on emerging and lesser-known artists would be a good work-around.

7. UCJOE

Curious who people thinks is the best "booker" in the mania era.

I would say
    1. Heyman
    2. Cornette
    3. Gabe Sapolsky

Now before anybody gets upset that Vince is not there, there is a difference between Booker & Promoter & that Vince would win hands down

@DonTheTrucker - you are the biggest Vince supporter here. Would you agree or have a different take?

#7 UCJOE, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    Lord Zero likes this.
  8. UCJOE

Makes perfect sense if its cost effective
    But to pay out $$$$ for lower card people makes no sense

WWE has done that with Orton & RVD & others

9. Lord Zero

Something else I would love to bring back, maybe as an Internet exclusive, is the post-PPV press conference like the WWF did after WrestleMania XIV. It might be too ridiculous to ask wrestling journalists to pretend like wrestling is real during something like that and play it straight, though. I'd tell them to keep in kayfabe, but otherwise have fun with it. I want it to resemble the "press conferences" at the end of Tough Crowd. That would be entertaining if done right.

10. UCJOE

That would be tough to pull off. Look at how hokey the pre-show comes off when HBK or Booker tries playing it legit

11. Lord Zero

CM Punk could have a field day with it.

12. UCJOE

But hardly anybody else
    The WM pressers are horrible as is

13. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

They do that for title matches.

I'll make a list when I have a bit more time. Some good stuff here.

My number one would be to take WWE private again. That's the root of almost every problem you guys have with them.

14. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

I'm going to get heat here, but I'd put Bischoff in Gabe's spot.

15. UCJOE

As a booker? He was mixed at best IMO in WCW
    Did right by Goldberg & Stings year long pushes, but his booking killed NWO, his promoter skills made it
    As a promoter second to Vince no doubt
    If he was a better booker, he would have built WCW babyfaces to make a real war with NWO, but he booked by ego
    Gabe booked the early days of ROH brilliantly
    Samoa Joe was booked as good as any champ in this era
    He managed to appease ECW types without going "extreme" & had some of the best in-ring work ever

Lord Zero likes this.
  16. Assholes & Elbows

Assholes & Elbows The Rabbi gets the salary,The Mohel gets the tips

Make raven the booker

topher520 and Lord Zero like this.
  17. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

Ok, here's a short list. I'm sure I'll think of more.

1. Take WWE private again. They can't do almost all of this stuff if they're inhibited by stockholders. No TV-14 content, no smaller arenas, no cheaper PPVs.
    2. Which brings me to: CHEAPER PPVs. The big 4 should be full price, the rest should be $20.
    3. Factions. The angle we're seeing now could lead to factions, but it probably won't. And the factions need to be large and strong. None of this 3MB shit.
    4. Champions hold the belt longer. They're doing much better at this, but champions losing the belt the next night (or immediately) has to stop.
    5. Heels need to act like heels, and faces need to act like faces. Tonight, for example, HHH was in total heel mode all night except when talking to Punk, the second biggest face.
    6. The writers need to be wrestling people. They have like 20 guys hanging around back stage that could write better than these reality show idiots. What works on Big Brother doesn't work in wrestling.
    7. More comedy. Shit is way too serious right now. It doesn't have to be Doink or Gobbledygooker, but let the guys crack a joke every once in a while.

18. UCJOE

My reply in RED

19. Reaper G

Reaper G POW# 126

In sum, let the wrestlers be themselves. Let them work their own style and develop their own characters. And totally downplay the promoter/GM's role. You need an authority figure, you don't need one who is either a repressive control freak or the target of some outlaw group.

Lord Zero likes this.
  20. Lord Zero

I thought I was forgetting something and you just reminded me of what it was:

6 PPVs a year.

January
    March
    May
    July
    September
    November

Add a special end-of-the-year card on free TV towards the tail end of December.

21. Neckbeard

Neckbeard I'm Team Piggy!

1. The very first thing to change has got to be the PPV structure. It just has to be. 13 to 14 a year is for the dogs.
    I keep the Big 4 and bring back King of the Ring and War Games. 2 of the PPVs
    are "In Your House" and themed around two wrestlers I really want to push hard.
    That gives me 8 PPVs a year. I have 2 big T.V. specials that aren't PPVs to round it all out. I go about 5 to 6 weeks between PPVs
    and t.v. specials instead of 3 to 5. Just easier to flesh stuff out.

2. My female wrestling is a subsidiary to the male wrestling, the way Smackdown is to RAW.
    It runs 1 hour to 90 minutes. I probably air this on a Wednesday. That is, if I have it all.
    I'm either all in, balls-deep and creampie-ing on my women's wrestling to where we are in
    Knockouts/SHIMMER territory or I don't even have it all.

3. Gotta bring back the Cruiserweights. That is where some of the hottest wrestling is. Kids fucking love it
    and who else is doing it? This would also be the more child friendly portion of the show. Like CHIKARA but
    a little less goofy.

4. I give a fuck about the announcing. Neither WWE or TNA seem to, their booths are horrendous.

5. I don't pussy out on hardcore wrestling. It happens occasionally and when it does, it is fierce. I do not
    force the issue with an explicitly hardc0re themed PPV like Hell in a Cell, Extreme Rules, Lockdown or Hardcore Justice.
    It happens when it happens. When it does, it is a fucking war. When you hear "Neckbeard Extreme Wrestling" is having a street
    fight or a cage match at the next PPV, you get HYPED AS FUCK because you know it will be great and not watered down.

22. UCJOE

:D

Lord Zero likes this.
  23. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

Stockholders care mainly about dollars. Dollars come from diversification in the eyes of people who don't work in the business (and mutual fund managers). It's the same kind of thinking that sunk WCW. Wrestling only works properly in the hands of people who know wrestling. Whether you like Vince's booking ideas or not, his business sense is still good. If he thought he could get away with TV-14 content, he'd do it. But doing so would lose him sponsors. The first time the PTC filed a complaint about Punk using a dirty word or someone blading, the chickenshit corporate sponsors would leave.

24. Lord Zero

I would switch Cornette and Sapolsky. Jim's a great booker, but he still thinks you can go back to the pre-Internet era of kayfabe. That's never coming back.

25. topher520

topher520 learnings for queers

Raven or Shane Douglas would make great Bookers. I also Love Cornette. I think he's very smart

But come on hands down Heyman is the fucking man when it comes to booking matches and entire Years of matches and fueds that make sense.