Hug triggers Detroit officer's gun, kills woman

Jon the Cop

Oct 20, 2008
Indiana
I am having a hard time buying this shit. But fuck, who knows. I carried a 1911 cocked and locked for years and even had a couple incidents in fight situations where I thought for sure it would have gone off, never did. Perhaps he didn't have it properly holstered in a shoulder rig. I would say he's sooooo fired, but it's Detroit, and he's union.....

The weapon of an off-duty police officer discharged at a social gathering as a woman embraced him from behind

July 08, 2012
EmailPrintCommentRSS
Hug triggers Detroit officer's gun, kills woman
The weapon of an off-duty police officer discharged at a social gathering as a woman embraced him from behind

inShare
Associated Press

DETROIT — A woman celebrating the weekend before her 25th birthday was fatally shot Sunday when she hugged an off-duty police officer while dancing at a party, causing the officer's service weapon to fire, according to police and her mother.

Adaisha Miller would have turned 25 on Monday, according to her mother, Yolanda McNair.

The shooting happened at an outdoor social gathering about 12:30 a.m., said police Sgt. Eren Stephens. It happened on the city's west side.

According to Stephens, the woman "embraced the officer from behind, causing the holstered weapon to accidently discharge." The bullet punctured Miller's lung and hit her heart, and she died at a hospital.

Stephens said the Detroit officer will remain on administrative duties while authorities investigate the shooting and report their findings to the Wayne County prosecutor. The officer's name was not released.

"For this to happen to her, whether they want to call it freak accident or mistake in judgment, it should have never happened to my child, and there's nothing I can do to get her back," McNair told WDIV-TV.

McNair said her daughter was out to mark her upcoming birthday.

"All she wanted to do was enjoy the weekend for her birthday," the mother said. "She had every right to enjoy turning 25 and look beyond that."
LINK

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
No way a police service weapon went off from a "hug." Don't know what kind of weapon but most have a system were if the safety is on there is no way the firing pin can strike the bullet. But again I don't know what kind of weapon it was so I may be talking out of my ass.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Adaisha Miller would have turned 25 on Monday
That daish ain't silent.

I'd need to know the weapon involved to make a judgement.

Jon the Cop

Oct 20, 2008
Indiana
No way a police service weapon went off from a "hug." Don't know what kind of weapon but most have a system were if the safety is on there is no way the firing pin can strike the bullet. But again I don't know what kind of weapon it was so I may be talking out of my ass.
I'm wondering if a Glock improperly holstered, or some gun with a hammer back and safety off?

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
I'm wondering if a Glock improperly holstered, or some gun with a hammer back and safety off?
Even with the safety off and the hammer back it's hard to imagine a hug being able to pull the trigger. Wouldn't it just put force on the side of the trigger at the most? IDK, Maybe a freak accident. No one is saying otherwise and at a party there would be plenty of witnesses. freak accident indeed maybe...

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
The only thing that might fuck this guy is if he was intoxicated at the party. I'm sure they will test that.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I don't think it even could have been a 1911... those are pretty safe guns. There are three safety "mechanisms" to a 1911 after a round is chambered and hammer cocked:

1)Thumb safety (toggled between fire/safety)
2)Grip safety (must be compressed for the gun to fire)
3)Trigger (obviously must be pulled, gun would also have a trigger guard)

Even if the thumb safety was off, the grip safety and trigger would still have to be depressed at the same time.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Maybe he had his old Fitz Special.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
A 2009 article states that they carry the Smith and Wesson M&P 40

http://www.bluesheepdog.com/2009/04/30/detroit-pd-adopts-sw-mp-pistol-and-ar-15/

The Detroit Police Department has adopted the Smith and Wesson M&P40 pistol as their official sidearm, and the M&P15 as their AR-15.

The adoption is a significant gain for S&W as the Detroit PD is a new customer, moving away from another brand of sidearm.* The initial order is for 5,000 pistols and 350 rifles.

The adoption of the M&P40 brings the total number of law enforcement agencies issuing or approving the M&P to 505.

Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (Nasdaq: SWHC), parent company of Smith & Wesson Corp., the legendary 157-year old company in the global business of safety, security, protection and sport, announced today that the Detroit Police Department will equip its force with Smith & Wesson Military & Police (M&P) Series pistols and with M&P Series tactical rifles. The orders mark a conversion of the entire Detroit Police Department to Smith & Wesson firearms. The orders also demonstrate Smith & Wesson’s progress towards its stated strategy to expand its professional law enforcement customer base.
M&P40 Polymer Pistols

The Department has placed an order for 5,000 Smith & Wesson M&P40 polymer pistols, chambered in .40 S&W. The pistols will be issued to each officer of the Detroit Police Department and will replace currently issued, non-Smith & Wesson firearms supplied by a European-based manufacturer. During the selection process for a new duty sidearm, the M&P pistol was compared exclusively with the department’s then-current handgun. The M&P40 received high marks on officer evaluation forms for the pistol’s ergonomics, operating controls and reliability. The M&P pistol was also noted for its ambidextrous controls and the ability to customize the grip size of the pistol to each officer’s preference.
M&P15 Tactical Rifles

The Department has also placed an order for 350 M&P15 tactical rifles. The rifles will become available to officers upon the completion of a certification course. While reviewing new patrol rifles during the test and evaluation process, the Detroit Police Department compared the M&P15 against a broad range of competitive semi-automatic rifles. The M&P15 was acknowledged for the high quality of its components, the fact that it is produced in the United States, and that it is fully supported with training offered by Smith & Wesson.

Detroit Chief of Police, James R. Barren, Ph.D., said, “Converting our department to a completely new brand of firearms was a significant decision that required a great deal of evaluation by our officers. The Smith & Wesson M&P40 and the M&P15 merited a review, based upon their selection by a number of other law enforcement agencies recently. Both of these firearms were thoroughly tested and found to meet or exceed all of our requirements. The pistols allow each officer to customize the fit and feel of the sidearm and that translates into a safer and more efficient environment on the job. We were also impressed with the level of customer service that Smith & Wesson can deliver, along with the warranty that stands behind both the M&P40 pistols and the M&P15 tactical rifles.”
Leland Nichols, Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Smith & Wesson, said, “We are extremely pleased and honored that the Detroit Police Department has chosen to equip its officers with multiple firearms from our M&P series. This series of products has been designed especially to address the needs of global law enforcement and military personnel and is manufactured in the United States. The Detroit Police Department’s commitment to provide its police officers, and therefore its citizens, with the highest quality and the highest level of safety possible is demonstrated by the decision to convert to both the M&P40 pistol and M&P15 rifle. Both of these firearms have earned the respect of police agencies both in the United States and abroad. Currently, the M&P pistol has been approved or adopted by 505 U.S. police departments, and the M&P15 tactical rifle has been approved or adopted by 221 U.S. police departments.”

CaffeeDiva

Feb 14, 2012
He misinterpreted "Buck Wild" and had a Remington 700 holstered.

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Jul 16, 2005
Texas
This should be interesting. That must have been one big bear hug. I guess we can all speculate once we know what kind of pistol. He could have had some OD weapon all n-rigged.

And who uses a shoulder holster anymore, other than Crockett and Tubbs? Shoulder holsters are so 80's.

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
I don't think it even could have been a 1911... those are pretty safe guns. There are three safety "mechanisms" to a 1911 after a round is chambered and hammer cocked:

1)Thumb safety (toggled between fire/safety)
2)Grip safety (must be compressed for the gun to fire)
3)Trigger (obviously must be pulled, gun would also have a trigger guard)

Even if the thumb safety was off, the grip safety and trigger would still have to be depressed at the same time.
The M9 (1911) Is a very large gun to have in a shoulder holster. I would bet he was carrying the M11 (Sig 228) It does not have a safety but it is the preferred weapon for concealed carry for military and law enforcement.

Still the idea that a "hug" caused it to fire is really unlikely.

Jon the Cop

Oct 20, 2008
Indiana
1911 is big for shoulder holster? Yeah whatever.

Having carried an M&P 40 for six years I cannot see any reason it would just fire from being hugged. Hell, no gun in the proper holster should be able to discharge. I saw an MP40 fly across a highway hit the pavement hard several times and get run over by a ford. It flew out of a cops hand in a foot pursuit. It never discharged then. Pistol whipped a guy attacking me in a woodland search one night. Never discharged.

Knowing the D. This cop probably had some duck tape grip revolver on a string holster or some shit.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Knowing the D. This cop probably had some duck tape grip revolver on a string holster or some shit.
I was thinking the same thing.

I've also had this fear of Springfield XDs from the second I held one for the first time. By definition, anything that has a firing pin under tension full-time gives me the willies.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Just doesn't make sense physically and for him to go unscathed besides everything needing to happen for a shot to go off from a holstered weapon.

Jon the Cop

Oct 20, 2008
Indiana
Oh boy! "The story keeps changing"

Yolanda McNair wants to know why she is planning a funeral for her daughter Adaisha Miller rather than a birthday celebration today.

"The story keeps changing," McNair said. "There's no logical reason."

Miller, who would have turned 25 today, was fatally shot early Sunday morning while attending a party on Archdale in Detroit. Police reports say she was killed when an off-duty Detroit police officer's pistol fired as she embraced him.

"Instead of giving her a party this week, I'm planning her obituary and funeral," said McNair as she sat on her west-side Detroit front porch Sunday evening with solemn relatives, neighbors and friends.

The police news release called the 12:30 a.m. shooting "a tragic incident," but McNair said she cannot understand how it occurred.

Police said that Miller hugged the officer -- whose name has not been released -- from behind as he was dancing, and the gun discharged.

However, McNair said she also was told her daughter "was being a little flirty" with the officer and the gun fired as they were in a face-to-face hug.

If you're at a party, she asked, "why do you need a weapon with a round in the chamber?"

Police spokeswoman Sgt. Eren Stephens said officers have the option of carrying a gun off-duty, but there is no requirement for them to be armed.

A departmental investigation is being conducted by internal affairs, and the officer will be assigned to administrative duties during the probe, Stephens said.

The Wayne County Prosecutor's Office will conduct a separate, independent review of the shooting, said office spokeswoman Maria Miller. Such reviews are standard for shootings involving police officers.

McNair endorsed a second investigation: "Yes, take it to the full extent."

Miller's younger brother Shane Miller, 23, said he also wants answers from the officer: "My sister is dead and you're alive walking around -- like you didn't even know what happened?"

John Goldpaugh, a lawyer for the Detroit Police Officers Association, said, "This was just a freak accident.

"They were having a party and the next thing, a woman is dead. He's devastated by what happened."

Goldpaugh, who spent several hours with the officer after the shooting, said the veteran beat patrolman was hosting a party at his home and was dancing with his wife when Miller came up behind him and tugged at his waist.

"And the gun went off," Goldpaugh said. "It's a fluke accidental shooting."

The weapon, a department-issued, 40-caliber Smith & Wesson semiautomatic pistol, was in a holster worn inside the officer's waistband and was covered by his shirt, Goldpaugh said.

Goldpaugh said the physical evidence from the incident corroborated the officer's account of the shooting. The officer did not know the woman, who attended the party with other guests, Goldpaugh said.

Miller was a certified massage therapist, her mother said, and a young woman with "a gentle heart who was giving to anybody."

McNair said she waved good-bye to her daughter Saturday evening as she left for the party.

"Then I saw her at the morgue," McNair said.

Miller must have been thinking of her grandmother who died in 2010, McNair said.

"And there was a smile on her face."

Atomic Fireball

Donator
Jul 26, 2005
At first I thought it said "Trig hugs Detroit officer's gun" and thought it was a Palin bashing thread.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
This is one of the reasons I started using Blackhawk SERPA holsters... of course the chance of this happening in any holster is slim, but it's pretty much impossible in the Blackhawk molded plastic holsters. I like this one because the firearm is actually secured in the holster by a catch, without slowing down the time required to draw it.

Of course this is for my personal use, law enforcement agencies may have policies against using this type of holster. You can also get molded holsters without the catch.

Jon the Cop

Oct 20, 2008
Indiana
So wait? It was in an IWB *HOLSTER* yet it discharged?

Goldpaugh, who spent several hours with the officer after the shooting, said the veteran beat patrolman was hosting a party at his home and was dancing with his wife when Miller came up behind him and tugged at his waist.

"And the gun went off," Goldpaugh said. "It's a fluke accidental shooting."

The weapon, a department-issued, 40-caliber Smith & Wesson semiautomatic pistol, was in a holster worn inside the officer's waistband and was covered by his shirt, Goldpaugh said.

Jon the Cop

Oct 20, 2008
Indiana
This is one of the reasons I started using Blackhawk SERPA holsters... of course the chance of this happening in any holster is slim, but it's pretty much impossible in the Blackhawk molded plastic holsters. I like this one because the firearm is actually secured in the holster by a catch, without slowing down the time required to draw it.

Of course this is for my personal use, law enforcement agencies may have policies against using this type of holster. You can also get molded holsters without the catch.
These are actually issued by some agencies I know for officers to carry off duty and tons of detectives and agents I've met use them on duty. I prefer a leather hip rig for mine. But to each their own.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
This makes zero fucking sense. a .40 M&P will not fire in a properly secured IWB holster. What the fuck man?

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Shoulder holsters are less likely to cause a weapon to slip from safety to fire, imo. But in this scenario, fuck.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
These are actually issued by some agencies I know for officers to carry off duty and tons of detectives and agents I've met use them on duty. I prefer a leather hip rig for mine. But to each their own.
They're a little expensive, but I really like them now. Another nice thing is you get your holster specifically for your weapon, which can then be mounted in many types of configurations on different platforms. You can adjust the angle if mounted on your hip, or mount it on a thigh holster which I do while backpacking (backpack waist belt gets in the way of other holsters). Everything's interchangeable, so if you have multiple handguns you can mount their holsters to any of the platforms.

Jon the Cop

Oct 20, 2008
Indiana
They're a little expensive, but I really like them now. Another nice thing is you get your holster specifically for your weapon, which can then be mounted in many types of configurations on different platforms. You can adjust the angle if mounted on your hip, or mount it on a thigh holster which I do while backpacking (backpack waist belt gets in the way of other holsters). Everything's interchangeable, so if you have multiple handguns you can mount their holsters to any of the platforms.
$35 holster is expensive? Shit, I paid at least $80 for my Don Hume leather holster.