OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Hug triggers Detroit officer's gun, kills woman

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Jon the Cop, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Jon the Cop

Jon the Cop Registered User

I am having a hard time buying this shit. But fuck, who knows. I carried a 1911 cocked and locked for years and even had a couple incidents in fight situations where I thought for sure it would have gone off, never did. Perhaps he didn't have it properly holstered in a shoulder rig. I would say he's sooooo fired, but it's Detroit, and he's union.....

LINK

2. NuttyJim

NuttyJim Registered User

3. OccupyWackbag

OccupyWackbag Registered User

No way a police service weapon went off from a "hug." Don't know what kind of weapon but most have a system were if the safety is on there is no way the firing pin can strike the bullet. But again I don't know what kind of weapon it was so I may be talking out of my ass.

4. gleet

gleet What's black and white and red all over?

That daish ain't silent.

I'd need to know the weapon involved to make a judgement.

5. Jon the Cop

I'm wondering if a Glock improperly holstered, or some gun with a hammer back and safety off?

6. OccupyWackbag

Even with the safety off and the hammer back it's hard to imagine a hug being able to pull the trigger. Wouldn't it just put force on the side of the trigger at the most? IDK, Maybe a freak accident. No one is saying otherwise and at a party there would be plenty of witnesses. freak accident indeed maybe...

7. OccupyWackbag

The only thing that might fuck this guy is if he was intoxicated at the party. I'm sure they will test that.

8. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

I don't think it even could have been a 1911... those are pretty safe guns. There are three safety "mechanisms" to a 1911 after a round is chambered and hammer cocked:

1)Thumb safety (toggled between fire/safety)
    2)Grip safety (must be compressed for the gun to fire)
    3)Trigger (obviously must be pulled, gun would also have a trigger guard)

Even if the thumb safety was off, the grip safety and trigger would still have to be depressed at the same time.

9. gleet

gleet What's black and white and red all over?

Maybe he had his old Fitz Special.

[​IMG]

10. NuttyJim

NuttyJim Registered User

A 2009 article states that they carry the Smith and Wesson M&P 40

http://www.bluesheepdog.com/2009/04/30/detroit-pd-adopts-sw-mp-pistol-and-ar-15/

The Detroit Police Department has adopted the Smith and Wesson M&P40 pistol as their official sidearm, and the M&P15 as their AR-15.

The adoption is a significant gain for S&W as the Detroit PD is a new customer, moving away from another brand of sidearm.* The initial order is for 5,000 pistols and 350 rifles.

The adoption of the M&P40 brings the total number of law enforcement agencies issuing or approving the M&P to 505.

Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (Nasdaq: SWHC), parent company of Smith & Wesson Corp., the legendary 157-year old company in the global business of safety, security, protection and sport, announced today that the Detroit Police Department will equip its force with Smith & Wesson Military & Police (M&P) Series pistols and with M&P Series tactical rifles. The orders mark a conversion of the entire Detroit Police Department to Smith & Wesson firearms. The orders also demonstrate Smith & Wesson’s progress towards its stated strategy to expand its professional law enforcement customer base.
    M&P40 Polymer Pistols

The Department has placed an order for 5,000 Smith & Wesson M&P40 polymer pistols, chambered in .40 S&W. The pistols will be issued to each officer of the Detroit Police Department and will replace currently issued, non-Smith & Wesson firearms supplied by a European-based manufacturer. During the selection process for a new duty sidearm, the M&P pistol was compared exclusively with the department’s then-current handgun. The M&P40 received high marks on officer evaluation forms for the pistol’s ergonomics, operating controls and reliability. The M&P pistol was also noted for its ambidextrous controls and the ability to customize the grip size of the pistol to each officer’s preference.
    M&P15 Tactical Rifles

The Department has also placed an order for 350 M&P15 tactical rifles. The rifles will become available to officers upon the completion of a certification course. While reviewing new patrol rifles during the test and evaluation process, the Detroit Police Department compared the M&P15 against a broad range of competitive semi-automatic rifles. The M&P15 was acknowledged for the high quality of its components, the fact that it is produced in the United States, and that it is fully supported with training offered by Smith & Wesson.

Detroit Chief of Police, James R. Barren, Ph.D., said, “Converting our department to a completely new brand of firearms was a significant decision that required a great deal of evaluation by our officers. The Smith & Wesson M&P40 and the M&P15 merited a review, based upon their selection by a number of other law enforcement agencies recently. Both of these firearms were thoroughly tested and found to meet or exceed all of our requirements. The pistols allow each officer to customize the fit and feel of the sidearm and that translates into a safer and more efficient environment on the job. We were also impressed with the level of customer service that Smith & Wesson can deliver, along with the warranty that stands behind both the M&P40 pistols and the M&P15 tactical rifles.”
    Leland Nichols, Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Smith & Wesson, said, “We are extremely pleased and honored that the Detroit Police Department has chosen to equip its officers with multiple firearms from our M&P series. This series of products has been designed especially to address the needs of global law enforcement and military personnel and is manufactured in the United States. The Detroit Police Department’s commitment to provide its police officers, and therefore its citizens, with the highest quality and the highest level of safety possible is demonstrated by the decision to convert to both the M&P40 pistol and M&P15 rifle. Both of these firearms have earned the respect of police agencies both in the United States and abroad. Currently, the M&P pistol has been approved or adopted by 505 U.S. police departments, and the M&P15 tactical rifle has been approved or adopted by 221 U.S. police departments.”

11. CaffeeDiva

CaffeeDiva Registered User

He misinterpreted "Buck Wild" and had a Remington 700 holstered.

12. Myhairygrundle

Myhairygrundle Screw you guys, I'm going home.

This should be interesting. That must have been one big bear hug. I guess we can all speculate once we know what kind of pistol. He could have had some OD weapon all n-rigged.

And who uses a shoulder holster anymore, other than Crockett and Tubbs? Shoulder holsters are so 80's.

13. OccupyWackbag

The M9 (1911) Is a very large gun to have in a shoulder holster. I would bet he was carrying the M11 (Sig 228) It does not have a safety but it is the preferred weapon for concealed carry for military and law enforcement.

Still the idea that a "hug" caused it to fire is really unlikely.

14. Jon the Cop

1911 is big for shoulder holster? Yeah whatever.

Having carried an M&P 40 for six years I cannot see any reason it would just fire from being hugged. Hell, no gun in the proper holster should be able to discharge. I saw an MP40 fly across a highway hit the pavement hard several times and get run over by a ford. It flew out of a cops hand in a foot pursuit. It never discharged then. Pistol whipped a guy attacking me in a woodland search one night. Never discharged.

Knowing the D. This cop probably had some duck tape grip revolver on a string holster or some shit.

15. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

I was thinking the same thing.

I've also had this fear of Springfield XDs from the second I held one for the first time. By definition, anything that has a firing pin under tension full-time gives me the willies.

16. lajikal

lajikal Registered User

Just doesn't make sense physically and for him to go unscathed besides everything needing to happen for a shot to go off from a holstered weapon.

17. Jon the Cop

Oh boy! "The story keeps changing"

18. Atomic Fireball

Atomic Fireball Well-Known Member
    Donator

At first I thought it said "Trig hugs Detroit officer's gun" and thought it was a Palin bashing thread.

19. whiskeyguy

This is one of the reasons I started using Blackhawk SERPA holsters... of course the chance of this happening in any holster is slim, but it's pretty much impossible in the Blackhawk molded plastic holsters. I like this one because the firearm is actually secured in the holster by a catch, without slowing down the time required to draw it.

[​IMG]

Of course this is for my personal use, law enforcement agencies may have policies against using this type of holster. You can also get molded holsters without the catch.

20. Jon the Cop

So wait? It was in an IWB *HOLSTER* yet it discharged?

21. Jon the Cop

These are actually issued by some agencies I know for officers to carry off duty and tons of detectives and agents I've met use them on duty. I prefer a leather hip rig for mine. But to each their own.

22. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

This makes zero fucking sense. a .40 M&P will not fire in a properly secured IWB holster. What the fuck man?

23. lajikal

lajikal Registered User

Shoulder holsters are less likely to cause a weapon to slip from safety to fire, imo. But in this scenario, fuck.

24. whiskeyguy

They're a little expensive, but I really like them now. Another nice thing is you get your holster specifically for your weapon, which can then be mounted in many types of configurations on different platforms. You can adjust the angle if mounted on your hip, or mount it on a thigh holster which I do while backpacking (backpack waist belt gets in the way of other holsters). Everything's interchangeable, so if you have multiple handguns you can mount their holsters to any of the platforms.

25. Jon the Cop

$35 holster is expensive? Shit, I paid at least $80 for my Don Hume leather holster.