Movie Hunter Killer

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Anyone see that? I thought it was better than the reviews had said. 37% on RT actually seems a tad low. I do wonder if some of that is Russian meddling. I actually enjoyed it a lot more than Crimson Tide.

Gary Oldman is surprisingly bad, though. He kind of phones in a performance as if the director said "go to 11" in all scenes. Still, enjoyed it since I didn't expect it to top Red October here.

SatansCheerledr

Ideologically Unsound
I lasted about 20 minutes before it got so retarded I couldn't take it and turned it off.

Radioguy

Retarded as in "they've done this before so it's retarded to do it again?"

SatansCheerledr

Ideologically Unsound
Retarded as in "they've done this before so it's retarded to do it again?"
The drone being able to swim right up to the dock without being detected, them having the coup on tape and just not showing it to the world, the huge towers looking right over their base totally unguarded, not even a fucking security camera on it, etc, etc. I said fuck you and turned it off when their version of searching that tower was to pop a couple of rounds at it and walk away like, 'well that's secure". Whole thing was fucking retarded.

Radioguy

The drone being able to swim right up to the dock without being detected, them having the coup on tape and just not showing it to the world, the huge towers looking right over their base totally unguarded, not even a fucking security camera on it, etc, etc. I said fuck you and turned it off when their version of searching that tower was to pop a couple of rounds at it and walk away like, 'well that's secure". Whole thing was fucking retarded.
Go live with the coup??? Are you kidding? That kind of event would destabilize the world, and as we see, it can be potentially be covered up and used to influence the Russian president. No, they'd never go live with that.

As for them missing the drone at first or shooting the gantry vs anything else, reduced security wasn't so crazy considering the news out of Russia over the past few decades of rusting ships and mislaid nuclear material. Look at actual pictures of their naval bases and it invites that kind of depiction. However, they did detect the drone via triangulation. As for Spetsnaz shooting up the gantry vs ordering a ship over and investigating spoke to keeping the coup quiet from the navy. Look at the Russian destroyer. They had no idea what was going on, or who was on the Arkansas. No, I got the impression they didn't want to draw attention from outside the base.

Nah, it's flawed and rushed (and reused more than a couple Run Silent, Run Deep plot points), but it makes more sense than not. If they had a directors cut that could draw out the pace and build tension, it would work far better. As-is, it's still better than Crimson Tide.

LiddyRules

The 9/11 Moon Landings Were An Outside Job
Go live with the coup??? Are you kidding? That kind of event would destabilize the world, and as we see, it can be potentially be covered up and used to influence the Russian president. No, they'd never go live with that.

As for them missing the drone at first or shooting the gantry vs anything else, reduced security wasn't so crazy considering the news out of Russia over the past few decades of rusting ships and mislaid nuclear material. Look at actual pictures of their naval bases and it invites that kind of depiction. However, they did detect the drone via triangulation. As for Spetsnaz shooting up the gantry vs ordering a ship over and investigating spoke to keeping the coup quiet from the navy. Look at the Russian destroyer. They had no idea what was going on, or who was on the Arkansas. No, I got the impression they didn't want to draw attention from outside the base.

Nah, it's flawed and rushed (and reused more than a couple Run Silent, Run Deep plot points), but it makes more sense than not. If they had a directors cut that could draw out the pace and build tension, it would work far better. As-is, it's still better than Crimson Tide.
When we HitW it, you can join us with a sociopolitical commentary.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff

I thought Crimson Tide was borderline great. Denzel and Hackman played off each other fantastically.

Radioguy

I thought Crimson Tide was borderline great. Denzel and Hackman played off each other fantastically.
That's what it's lauded for. It's that conflict that could have been set anywhere.

To me, Hackman was great, but Denzel less so. Still, I think it was more the writing than Washington lacking the talent. Overall, that film was meant more of a play than this, and the tension there more calculated, which makes what action there is in it almost a distraction.

Really, there wasn't enough story in Crimson Tide (compared to The Hunt For Red October which has the rest of these beat), but Hunter Killer has overall story, more twists, and is simply more fun than Crimson Tide, which I've never heard anyone say was.