I Am ... Fired. So, So, So Fired.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
http://www.abc17news.com/news/movie...on/-/18421100/20089958/-/66o97fz/-/index.html

I wish I could come up with a better thread title for this story.

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. -
Management at the Goodrich Capital 8 Theaters is defending what it calls a publicity stunt at the movie theaters this past weekend.

During the opening weekend of the latest 'Iron Man' movie, a man walked into the theater in full tactical gear and carrying a fake gun.

Jefferson City police and witnesses, however, are not pleased with the stunt and are questioning the theater's logic after recent shootings in Aurora, Colo. and Newtown, Conn.

John Molock is a retired Army war veteran and suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder. He told ABC 17 News this most recent trip to the movies triggered memories he never wanted to relive.

"We had just finished watching Iron Man 3," said Morlock. "We're just getting into the car when I spotted a man in full assault gear, carrying what appeared to be a modified M-4 and 9 mm on his side."
Morlock did not call police, but several other moviegoers did.

"We received a series of 911 calls stating that a man dressed in all black and body armor and a rifle was walking into Capital 8 Theaters," said Capt. Doug Shoemaker.

Officers thought they were responding to an active shooter investigation.

"Everything was in place, it's the opening night of a superhero movie, it's somebody walking in all-dark clothes, everything pointed to bad things about to happen," said Shoemaker. "There's really no good that can come of this."

Instead, it was all part of a publicity stunt for the movie opening. The man in tactical gear was an actor carrying a fake gun.

Capital 8 Theaters manager Bob Wilkins told ABC 17 News this was planned months in advance and only a few people were upset, but hundreds were entertained.

When asked if management took into consideration what happened in the the mass shooting at a Colorado movie theater, Wilkins responded, "Absolutely. That's my number-one priority every day. It's the safety and security of our guests."

ABC 17 News asked Wilkins if he had any regrets for allowing the publicity stunt and he said, "No, my job is to entertain people."

Social media backlash followed ABC 17’s initial report Thursday.

Goodrich Capital 8 posted a Facebook apology Friday around noon, saying:
"We apologize and are sympathetic to those who felt they were in harm’s way with our character promotion for Iron Man 3. This was not a publicity stunt. We have worked with the Cosplacon group on many movies to dress up and help entertain our customers. We have had many complaints about the members dressed specifically as S.H.I.E.L.D. operatives carrying fake guns. We didn’t clearly tell our customers and some people didn’t realize it was for entertainment purposes only. We apologize that police were called to come out to our theater. We have a wonderful working relationship with the Jefferson City Police Department. Going forward we will take the necessary steps to make sure this doesn’t happen again. Security and safety for our customers is our number one priority."

Still, some moviegoers and law enforcement do not believe the stunt was a good idea.

"That's just unbelievable," said Morlock. "The whole country is talking about gun control because of shootings in theaters and schools."

"It's an unfortunate lack of wisdom in this particular judgement that hopefully will never occur again," said Shoemaker.

Shoemaker added it's a good thing an off-duty officer wasn't at the theater because it's likely the officer would have engaged the actor. Had the actor not complied, the situation could have turned out much worse.
Jefferson City police say the department has a good relationship with the theater and ironically, the SWAT team held an active shooter training there just a couple months ago.
  • Copyright © 2013 KMIZ - The Networks of Mid-Missouri. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?! Just use Iron Man and SHIELD agents in suits and ties. Why oh why did they feel the need to use people with guns and in tactical gear?

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Yeah, that is probably the top of the list of bad ideas.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
They left out the part where the woman on the far left of the photo was arrested for filling that case with Sno Caps.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
They left out the part where the woman on the far left of the photo was arrested for filling that case with Sno Caps.
Cosmic Cube Steak

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Aug 16, 2006
The Oh-See, Fuck-Asses
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. protecting the candy case from cosmic invaders!
The guy at the end thinks the sixth Infinity Gem is bacon.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
I can't believe during the alleged months of planning for this that nobody objected to the use of realistic looking military actors with realistic looking weapons. The average person would probably be too busy shitting their pants instead of looking to see if there was a SHIELD logo on the uniform, especially if those actors were walking around separate from the more obviously recognizable characters. I'm also not sure the average person knows the significance of a red tip on a weapon.

That being said, though...

John Molock is a retired Army war veteran and suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder. He told ABC 17 News this most recent trip to the movies triggered memories he never wanted to relive.

"We had just finished watching Iron Man 3," said Morlock. "We're just getting into the car when I spotted a man in full assault gear, carrying what appeared to be a modified M-4 and 9 mm on his side."

Fuck you, John Molock. You just watched a movie where I can only assume that those military characters were shooting their military guns at things. But in the parking lot after the movie, your keen military eyes picked out the type of weaponry but didn't notice the fucking Airsoft tips? If your PTSD is really so bad, how about you don't watch the shoot 'em up movies in the first place?

PS - It's good to see Liddy isn't fired.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
is fatty suppose to be Pepper Potts?
Aaaaannnnnnd we're off:

Portly Potts
Pepper Jack Cheese Potts
Pepper Potato Head
Pepper Potbelly
Pepper Plump
Piggy Potts
Pudgy Potts
Roly Poly Pepper
Gwyneth Plumptrow
Piggy Pigs
Plus Sized Potts
Porky Potts
Pepperoni Pizza
Pudding Potts
Pumpkin Potts

Rash Rendering

Feb 9, 2010
If a citizen with a ccw permit would have capped the guy... you'd have a dead actor and the citizen would be justified if he thought some shit was about to go down.

JonBenetRamsey

well shit the bed
Aug 30, 2005
woodland critter christmas park nj
If a citizen with a ccw permit would have capped the guy... you'd have a dead actor and the citizen would be justified if he thought some shit was about to go down.
but if the actor was carrying iced tea and skittles, cosplayers the world over would be up in arms, if they left their parents' basements.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
SHIELD- Serving Ham, Ice Cream, Entenmann's , Licorice, and Diet Cola (she's watching her figure)

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
There are some limits on that whole "I thought shit's about to go down" defense. For instance, if the guy is holding a gun with an orange tip, the defense is not gonna fly. If everybody's laughing and clapping, again: that defense is not gonna fly.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Aaaaannnnnnd we're off:

Portly Potts
Pepper Jack Cheese Potts
Pepper Potato Head
Pepper Potbelly
Pepper Plump
Piggy Potts
Pudgy Potts
Roly Poly Pepper
Gwyneth Plumptrow
Piggy Pigs
Plus Sized Potts
Porky Potts
Pepperoni Pizza
Pudding Potts
Pumpkin Potts
Wel...I guess I'll just leave then. nothing to do here.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
In Israel when you go on school field trips you also have armed security go with you (like if you're out hiking in the desert or whatever). Back when I was a kid, it was often parents who had gun licenses (not sure if that's still common or not). So there was this case where the guides who were leading a class decided to play a prank and put on terrorist headscarves and jumped out from behind a rock and one of them got plugged between the eyes. Put an end to those kinds of pranks.

jimmyslostchin

Malarkey is slang for bullshit isn't it?
Jun 8, 2005
NJ
Aaaaannnnnnd we're off:

Portly Potts
Pepper Jack Cheese Potts
Pepper Potato Head
Pepper Potbelly
Pepper Plump
Piggy Potts
Pudgy Potts
Roly Poly Pepper
Gwyneth Plumptrow
Piggy Pigs
Plus Sized Potts
Porky Potts
Pepperoni Pizza
Pudding Potts
Pumpkin Potts
I was originally only going to like this for the Benny Hill theme, but then I started reading the names and fuck me if it wasn't funny as hell.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
I don't see what the big deal is.

If you see a guy with a fake looking gun standing next to Iron Man are you really going to think that Him and Iron Man are going to shoot up the place?

Frank: Yes. Well, when I see 5 weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of the park in full view of 100 people, I shoot the bastards. That's my policy.
Mayor: That was a Shakespeare in the Park production of Julius Caesar, you moron! You killed 5 actors! Good ones!

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I don't see what the big deal is.

If you see a guy with a fake looking gun standing next to Iron Man are you really going to think that Him and Iron Man are going to shoot up the place?

Frank: Yes. Well, when I see 5 weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of the park in full view of 100 people, I shoot the bastards. That's my policy.
Mayor: That was a Shakespeare in the Park production of Julius Caesar, you moron! You killed 5 actors! Good ones!
I thought this at first, but then I thought to myself: Where were the actors hanging out before the movie started? Were they walking around inside the theater in costume? Somehow I have the feeling that people who are stupid enough to think this was a good idea are also too stupid to do it discretely and properly.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
I thought this at first, but then I thought to myself: Where were the actors hanging out before the movie started? Were they walking around inside the theater in costume? Somehow I have the feeling that people who are stupid enough to think this was a good idea are also too stupid to do it discretely and properly.
Bingo. One of these retards goes wandering across the parking lot dressed up like that, no obvious movie costumes in sight, and he's likely to cause a bit of concern.