i bought a fucking duck

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
we are going to stop at tractor supply on our way home from the shore on sunday, and see what they have left, usually they are an easter thing
Oh, an Easter thing. Around here it's a spring flock addition thing. Lots of people have chickens.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Oh, an Easter thing. Around here it's a spring flock addition thing. Lots of people have chickens.
yea, I'm too close to philly, but, down in slower lower delaware there are still a lot of farms, the week before easter there were chicks, at the local ACE hardware up here I'm hoping that they are still selling them down there.

I finally got back in the bird game. We bought 12 baby ducks at an auction, 2 from the feed store and had a neighbor gift us 5 more babies. So we currently have 19 ducks in various states of adolescence, from about 3 weeks to 8 weeks old. We are going to be swimming in eggs in a few months.

Also bought 20 quail at the auction, one died a couple weeks later but the rest are fattening up nicely. They start laying at around 6-8 weeks so we should have some tiny eggs any day now.

THE FEZ MAN

I finally got back in the bird game. We bought 12 baby ducks at an auction, 2 from the feed store and had a neighbor gift us 5 more babies. So we currently have 19 ducks in various states of adolescence, from about 3 weeks to 8 weeks old. We are going to be swimming in eggs in a few months.

Also bought 20 quail at the auction, one died a couple weeks later but the rest are fattening up nicely. They start laying at around 6-8 weeks so we should have some tiny eggs any day now.
I had quail they are very tasty and there eggs are wonderful

SatansCheerledr

Ideologically Unsound

doomvulture

Lord of Jailbait
Holy shit, quail is the best bird meat I have ever eaten. Had it at some fancy rest-a-raunt-e. Had the chefs tasting meal, it was all so good, I never had to touch the salt and I salt -everything- but the quail was far and away the best.

I have been wanting quail for some time now but they are not often available around here. Saw these at the auction and knew I'd be buying them. Luckily nobody else bid and I got them for $1/ea.

Planning to butcher some of the males and keep the rest for eggs.

THE FEZ MAN

I have been wanting quail for some time now but they are not often available around here. Saw these at the auction and knew I'd be buying them. Luckily nobody else bid and I got them for $1/ea.

Planning to butcher some of the males and keep the rest for eggs.
I kept them to train the dogs, once the hounds tore them up we ate them, they are easy to keep and quite hardy. Oh and fucking noisy, I never thought such a little bird could be so loud

THE FEZ MAN

I finally got my damn chicks only took a month... Grrrr so I have 10 peeps 3 murans 3 buff Orpington 4 black astralops

THE FEZ MAN

Quick bump, so, I had about enough of 10 chickens shitting relentlessly everywhere, so I gave 3 away today, I’m expecting at least 2 not to survive the winter (I’m sure I will be disappointed).

So, the question @gleet and who ever else has or had ducks, my two have decided that they would rather not go into the little house I built for them and would rather sit outside the house and freeze their asses off, this is concerning my wife, it’s supposed to be bitter cold here the next few days / week, I’m not overly concerned but my wife is relentless about me coming up with a “plan” because she is convinced that they are going to freeze to death, I’m of the train of thought that not only do they have permanent down coats on, if they were truly cold they would go into their little house and snuggle up in the ample amount of straw i put in there, the chickens will huddle up in their house when it gets really cold.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Run a dummy extension cord and tell her you placed a heated mat in front of the shelter.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Quick bump, so, I had about enough of 10 chickens shitting relentlessly everywhere, so I gave 3 away today, I’m expecting at least 2 not to survive the winter (I’m sure I will be disappointed).

So, the question @gleet and who ever else has or had ducks, my two have decided that they would rather not go into the little house I built for them and would rather sit outside the house and freeze their asses off, this is concerning my wife, it’s supposed to be bitter cold here the next few days / week, I’m not overly concerned but my wife is relentless about me coming up with a “plan” because she is convinced that they are going to freeze to death, I’m of the train of thought that not only do they have permanent down coats on, if they were truly cold they would go into their little house and snuggle up in the ample amount of straw i put in there, the chickens will huddle up in their house when it gets really cold.
My wife just mentioned her ducks sleep outside and we had several weeks of 2 degree nights. Fuck em, they have down and that fancy plumbing that keeps their feet warm and across the road there are wild ducks and geese doing fine.

THE FEZ MAN

My wife just mentioned her ducks sleep outside and we had several weeks of 2 degree nights. Fuck em, they have down and that fancy plumbing that keeps their feet warm and across the road there are wild ducks and geese doing fine.
Ok that’s my thought, they will be fine, Gertrude was hobbling around last week but I think she took a tumble out of the chicken coop and that’s why her leg was bothering her.

Run a dummy extension cord and tell her you placed a heated mat in front of the shelter.
That would never work, my wife would go out and check to make sure it was warm, and if it wasn’t I would catch even more hell, I did consider putting my seed starter heat mat in their house but I don’t think they would use it, or worse they would never get off it

Haeder

South Dakota
Build a small nest outside the duck but and keep it filled with straw.

Ducks will sit on almost frozen water overnight and often won't head south until finding food becomes a pain in the ass. I saw ducks sitting on the massive corn pile at the grain elevator today and it is below zero in South Dakota.

Either that or move them in to the house.

THE FEZ MAN

Build a small nest outside the duck but and keep it filled with straw.

Ducks will sit on almost frozen water overnight and often won't head south until finding food becomes a pain in the ass. I saw ducks sitting on the massive corn pile at the grain elevator today and it is below zero in South Dakota.

Either that or move them in to the house.
When Gertrude was hobbling around last week there was discussion of putting her in the bathtub in the basement, I shot it down because I know she would quack all night long and shit all over the place, which isn’t a huge deal since it’s “my” bathroom

I shot it down because I know she would quack all night long and shit all over the place, which isn’t a huge deal since it’s “my” bathroom
Ducks take on the personality/habits of their owner
So I've heard

THE FEZ MAN

Ducks take on the personality/habits of their owner
So I've heard
That explains why Quackers is a sex fiend with no friends

Plastic tarps?
It’s a very large bathtub, and that is where I was going to put her, ducks are very skittish so any noise would send her into a quacking fit

THE FEZ MAN

And it looks like “Thing” might be in her way out, one day she’s fine, the next she’s hobbling around, I should put her out of her misery but I’m hopeful she will brighten up, she’s eating but very skinny, I think she has the same thing that killed colonel sanders.

Haeder

South Dakota
And it looks like “Thing” might be in her way out, one day she’s fine, the next she’s hobbling around, I should put her out of her misery but I’m hopeful she will brighten up, she’s eating but very skinny, I think she has the same thing that killed colonel sanders.
Kill her and bury her in your Insta Pot with nails and gas. Set to soup.

It's what she'd want.