OpieRadio Logo
Anthony Cumia Show Logo
Jim Norton Logo

I broke my iPhone... Then I fixed it.

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices' started by stellarcomics, Sep 7, 2014.

1. stellarcomics

stellarcomics Registered User

[​IMG]

2. HandPanzer

HandPanzer in situ

But why is the Vlasic pickle bird saying this?

WadsOfShit likes this.
  3. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

You're correct.

It should be re-titled; Niggard Phone Hacks. :action-sm

steve500 likes this.
  4. steve500

steve500 Registered User

Give him a break...he's just a graphics design artist.

This would have been more relevant

[​IMG]

And here's one just because it came up in Google images

[​IMG]

#29 steve500, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    WadsOfShit and d0uche_n0zzle like this.
  5. 5skin

5skin Registered User

I heard a new iphone was stolen in broad daylight outside an apple store over the weekend. I ain't pointing no fingers tho, but if I were.

6. weeniewawa

weeniewawa it's a man, baby!!!

well, it was last month

;)

7. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

any one ever try doing the i pad screen? my old lady dropped hers and smashed the shit out of it, she is still using it but its driving me insane I'm trying to convince squeaky to buy a new one and then take her old one and put a screen in it or I'm just going to pry it out of her hands one day and try to put a screen in it.

8. stellarcomics

Here's where I bought my parts:
    http://www.repairsuniverse.com

Good luck bro!

9. stellarcomics

I'm thinking about replacing the front bezel on my iPad to a black one.

That's right, I said black one. A long thick dark black one.
    There's a freebie.

THE FEZ MAN, gleet and Hog's Big Ben like this.
  10. THE FEZ MAN

Mmmmmmm hot

stellarcomics likes this.
  11. stellarcomics

Slight update, about a year ago I dropped this phone again and the replacement screen fell apart... literally. Fuck.
    Put it in a drawer for two years. I recently bought a replacement screen/digitizer/camera/proximity sensor from Amazon.

They lowered the cost of this part from about $200 two years ago to about $40 now (less demand for 5C parts, I guess). Holy shit, they dropped the price another $10 since I bought mine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L9RWWCC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I even bought extra teeny tiny iphone screws in case I lost a few.
    It's working properly again and is now my office phone (so I won't fucking drop it again).

THE FEZ MAN likes this.
  12. Mags

Mags Edgelord
    Donator

I'm eligible for an iPhone 7 upgrade when they come out.

Holla.

13. THE FEZ MAN

My old lady still won't let me fix her I pad, it's gotten so bad I'm not sure a new screen will even fit, I think when she's not using it she plays frisbee with it, one more hard drop and I'm betting the home button falls out, I on the other hand bought an otter box for mine, I'm a fumbling stumbling drunkard I know how fast I would destroy mine if given the chance

14. stellarcomics

I can't imagine that it's harder to fix an iPad vs the iPhone. Replacing the front display is pretty easy, once you get it open it's just ONE part to swap out.

15. gorram

gorram ;)

Been hearing the screen replacement on the newer phones is getting less feasible. The older lower resolution screens were dirt cheap so it made sense. Also hear that it ends up being cheaper to swap them at the apple store than get repaired.

Not to mention as they slim down its getting more and more tedious to work on.

16. THE FEZ MAN

I thought i had something to say about this subject, well the old lady finally smashed the complete fuck out of her I pad, I mean smashed the fuck out of it, fell face down on the fireplace mantel and it is completely unusable. So, I went out and bought her a new one on Friday, top of the line iPad Air yada yada..... and the toughest case that they had at the Apple Store.
    I ordered a new front glass and digitizer from Amazon for 16$..... and of course it was the wrong one, it's for an iPad 2 and won't work, but, my sister in law has that one and her screen is also broke, just cracked not smashed.
    So, I got the old smashed screen out, one razor sharp flying shard at a time with my heat gun and a mix of tools, I then had to reshape the corners because they were smashed up good, one I just gave up on and filed most of the corner lip off , I also ordered the correct part once again from Amazon, 20$ including all the tools, so, yea, I'm not sure if there is a big difference in quality between replacement parts but I can't recommend the monstilio one from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LNMLKMU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had a hard time getting the home button ribbon wire to stay in the plug, and rout properly, which may or may not have caused my second issue, the home button no longer works, I checked it before final assembly but when I went to check it this morning it would not work, it's not clicking when you press on it so, so I fiddled with it and it kind of clicks but it still won't work the correct way, so I said fuck it and found a few work arounds that seem to be working it's just un natural to do if you are used to pushing the home button.
    I may have caused the problem myself because I was over ambitious with my clamping, knowing too much may have been my downfall, after I put the screen in place I heated it again to make sure it was as square and tight as possible then I placed it face down on the foam that came with the screen to even out the pressure, then a sheet of 5/8 starboard and then an ammo box with about 10-15 lb of weight, I think maybe the glue might have oozed into the mechanism and or pressed the button in and bent the bracket. Hey if a little pressure is good, heat and pressure must be great.... oops

I read the criticism about the button issue in the reviews but bought it anyway, I figured for 20$ it was worth trying to fix it and I still think it was worth trying even with the button screw up, now she has a travel spare or one that she can leave on her elliptical or we can take out to the pool, well worth 20$ and half a day of scraping glue and broken glass.

As an ethnic engineer I was impressed with not only how easy it actually was to do well within my skill set, the machine it's self is beautiful inside very apple, everything nice and simple and honesty not very much inside at all mostly batteries the clips that hold the ribbon cables were easy to work and even the one that I was having trouble with was fairly easy to work, I blame the cable not the clip, the case is all nice and finished machined inside.
    Over all I was very pleased with the outcome so far (sans non working home button)

17. BIV

BIV I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.

I broke my phone man
    I broke my phone dude.

THE FEZ MAN likes this.
  18. NotSoFast

NotSoFast Registered User

Shall I hold your hand?

BIV likes this.
  19. BIV

BIV I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.

Hold my hand, man.

Mommadeez4u likes this.
  20. THE FEZ MAN

Well, BoB the destroyer strikes again, this time it was the lightning cable snapped of inside her new I pad, while I do want to blame her for this, because there is a reason I call her BoB the destroyer, I will give her a slight pass because I’m not sure if the cable was already broke, most likely from past abuse and age, this started last night with the cables not wanting to charge with out fiddling with it, indicative of a crack that I couldn’t see in the connector.

The cable snapped right where the detents are on the side, I tried a pair of very fine tweezers first, then a vacuum, then using straight pins to release the spring clips, then heating the pin and trying to push the hot pin into the exposed plastic, it must be PVC because it didn’t want to melt... then I got mad, I was going to use a drop of crazy glue but I was afrade of getting glue where I didn’t want it and really fuck it up.

Harbor freight bails me out again, I have a set of “pin drills” from them, they are tiny, like I can hardly see the cutting edge, and smaller than a straight pin, I chose the smallest one in the set about a .020 might have been smaller, then very carefully started to drill into the exposed plastic of the plug (where I put the hot pin) after a few minutes of careful hand drilling the bit finally caught and I was able to pull the broken tab out with the drill bit.

After doing that I went online and apparently you can use a pin to release the spring clips (tried that didn’t work) or the crazy glue (didn’t want to try because I’m a slob)

So, I can add “pulled out broken charging plug) to my list of “Fezman un fucks your fuck up”

21. blazin

blazin Registered User

My battery was smoked on my HTC 10 but had a hairline fracture in the screen, so Sprint wanted me to go thru insurance and pay $200 for a phone I bought almost 2 years ago. The battery was so beat it wouldn't charge or even turn on, so I've been using my HTC M8 that's almost 4 years old and slow. What the fuck!

HTC phones are notoriously difficult to work on. I followed some teardown videos and was able to get the new battery in and new screen. Phone worked for a day then locked up on me saying "No Sim No Service" so i took it apart again with no luck. Thought maybe the cable on the SIM card tray was tweaked so I ordered a new one...Took 2 weeks to get, installed it and same problem.

Took phone apart again for 3rd time and this time it works! Been stable for 2 days now, everything seems to work! What a pain in the ass. I don't need a new phone, this is fine, and with a new battery I'm good for the forseeable future.

THE FEZ MAN likes this.