I finally replaced my 2007 Samsung HD TV ...

I celebrated the fourth by finally replacing my Samsung lnt4664 HD TV that I bought in 2007 for like $2000. It still works great it's 1080P but it no longer likes to turn on in humidity due to a back light short. I tried to fix it but you have to replace the whole board for one of the back lights and that would cost over $100. Once the TV is on it works fine so all winter there's no issue. But in the summertime the humidity makes it short out. We don't have air-conditioning so for the past two years we just left the TV on for the entire summer. I said screw this and the TV that I wanted that was also consumer reports And cnet etc best buy is on sale at BJ's.

Wow what a difference this TV is amazing I really like it because it has a built-in Roku it has 4K HDR it has built-in 90 minute buffering for local channels it's really got everything TV and an amazing picture for thousands of dollars less than the cost of these features on a Sony or LG.
It's a TCL 55" if you're looking to get a new TV I highly recommend it for only $480 it's a steal.
https://www.bjs.com/product/tcl-55r613-55-4k-uhd-hdr-smart-roku-led-tv-with-bonus-voice-activated-remote-40-value/3000000000001278347

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
I celebrated the fourth by finally replacing my Samsung lnt4664 HD TV that I bought in 2007 for like $2000. It still works great it's 1080P but it no longer likes to turn on in humidity due to a back light short. I tried to fix it but you have to replace the whole board for one of the back lights and that would cost over $100. Once the TV is on it works fine so all winter there's no issue. But in the summertime the humidity makes it short out. We don't have air-conditioning so for the past two years we just left the TV on for the entire summer. I said screw this and the TV that I wanted that was also consumer reports And cnet etc best buy is on sale at BJ's.

Wow what a difference this TV is amazing I really like it because it has a built-in Roku it has 4K HDR it has built-in 90 minute buffering for local channels it's really got everything TV and an amazing picture for thousands of dollars less than the cost of these features on a Sony or LG.
It's a TCL 55" if you're looking to get a new TV I highly recommend it for only $480 it's a steal.
https://www.bjs.com/product/tcl-55r613-55-4k-uhd-hdr-smart-roku-led-tv-with-bonus-voice-activated-remote-40-value/3000000000001278347
I got the same brand, same size, except yours is probably a model year or two newer. Mine doesn't have the voice activated remote. It was my first smart TV and first 4K TV. I love it. The Roku interface blows away the shitty Amazon fire stick interface. The fire stick doesn't even have a fucking on-screen clock without a third-party app.

The TV doesn't have Bluetooth, but it can play audio on the Roku remote app and you can use your phone's Bluetooth. The Plex app works great, too.

Best bang for the buck purchase I've made in years.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
I once had a CB in a truck that was the same way, it took hours to turn on but when it was on, it worked fine. I left it of for about 10 years straight

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
great price by the way, hope it lasts a long time. I personally wouldn't use any of the IP stuff and use separate boxes and never hook up the TV to any internet for reasons Mr @d0uche_n0zzle mentioned

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
We don't have air-conditioning
In 2019? Wow. I'm actually shocked to hear that.

I bought a TCL 40" 1080P last year on Prime Day for my wife's office which is also our backup guest room. I don't have a DirecTV box in there, so Netflix/Prime/Youtube is enough for an occasional-use TV. So far, it's been great. Even some of the home theater geek snobs like TCL. They're great, especially for the price.

Regarding spyware, that's what Pi-hole, and a separate subnet for IoT devices are for, :D

great price by the way, hope it lasts a long time. I personally wouldn't use any of the IP stuff and use separate boxes and never hook up the TV to any internet for reasons Mr @d0uche_n0zzle mentioned
I always find it weird when people bring things like this up yet won't let their smartphone out of their site for more than a few minutes.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
I always find it weird when people bring things like this up yet won't let their smartphone out of their site for more than a few minutes.
I'll leave it at home or turn on Airplane mode if I'm feeling really paranoid.

I'll leave it at home or turn on Airplane mode if I'm feeling really paranoid.
Airplane mode just prevents YOU from seeing that it's connected to THEIR networks.
I got the same brand, same ...

The TV doesn't have Bluetooth, but it can play audio on the Roku remote app and you can use your phone's Bluetooth. The Plex
I also have a Roku ultra that we were using with the old TV that was supposed to be in my bedroom but got hijacked to the living room. The Plex app has basically replace the home theater PC. With ethernet I can stream 4K x265 rips at over 20 megs per second.

I don't think this TV is bad with the spyware as the Samsung/sony/lg. The mic is on the remote and only works when you hold in a button.

Bought a 55" TCL ROKU TV last year and love it. Thinking of getting a sound bar, because the speakers positioning, though.

Opie&JimmyShow

Donator

I have a 65 inch TCL. It's my 2nd one. I cracked the screen mounting the first one. I couldn't wait for someone to help me. For the money It's quite impressive. The picture is fantastic.I had the 43 inch that just up and died on me last summer with no warning It was just over a year old. I didn't buy the extended warranty for that one so I was shit out of luck. I STRONGLY suggest buying the coverage.

Sent from your Mom's box.

5skin

I have a 65 inch TCL. It's my 2nd one. I cracked the screen mounting the first one. I couldn't wait for someone to help me. For the money It's quite impressive. The picture is fantastic.I had the 43 inch that just up and died on me last summer with no warning It was just over a year old. I didn't buy the extended warranty for that one so I was shit out of luck. I STRONGLY suggest buying the coverage.

Its usually just a capacitor that goes bad and they're super easy to replace. It's harder to find someplace that carries them than the actual replacement.
55" Samsung went out and replacing caps didn't fix it so my boy ordered a $35 board that plugged right in and fixed it.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
I just threw a perfectly-functioning 55” Vizio in the trash because it was a 55” Vizio and I have to maintain my dignity.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
I just threw a perfectly-functioning 55” Vizio in the trash because it was a 55” Vizio and I have to maintain my dignity.
Vizio has come a long way, even the home theater geek types are into Vizio now.

I've got no brand loyalty. I've got two Sharp, two Samsung, an LG, three Vizio, and a TCL.

Opie&JimmyShow

Donator
Its usually just a capacitor that goes bad and they're super easy to replace. It's harder to find someplace that carries them than the actual replacement.
55" Samsung went out and replacing caps didn't fix it so my boy ordered a $35 board that plugged right in and fixed it.
I brought it to a guy to repair and he was like it junk. I figured it was something simple. Oh well.

Opie&JimmyShow

Donator
So I bought a 50 inch Vizo to replace the TCL. This is my outside TV so I'm not looking to go to crazy money wise. I have to say the Vizo had a BETTER picture than the TCL. It was working great until it got wet and caught fire. Not enough fire to cause a lot of damage, but enough where I'll never plug it in again. I'm just waiting for my replacement from Bestbuy.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
So I bought a 50 inch Vizo to replace the TCL. This is my outside TV so I'm not looking to go to crazy money wise. I have to say the Vizo had a BETTER picture than the TCL. It was working great until it got wet and caught fire. Not enough fire to cause a lot of damage, but enough where I'll never plug it in again. I'm just waiting for my replacement from Bestbuy.

Get the warranty for the outside TV.

I bought a cheap Samsung non-smart TV for my outside TV. Got the 4-year warranty. It shit the bed year three, got a new Vizio TV as a replacement. Took the Samsung to local TV repair guy, got it fixed for $100 and put it back outside. The new Vizio is in my guest bedroom.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator

The Vizio was my outside TV, but it was old and dumb, and I required bigger and smarter.

Opie&JimmyShow

Donator
Get the warranty for the outside TV.

I bought a cheap Samsung non-smart TV for my outside TV. Got the 4-year warranty. It shit the bed year three, got a new Vizio TV as a replacement. Took the Samsung to local TV repair guy, got it fixed for $100 and put it back outside. The new Vizio is in my guest bedroom.
That's what I'm hoping happens. I want the 55 for outside and I'll put the 50 in my bedroom. The 50 wasn't bad looking outside. The 47 looked lost out there. It amazes me the difference in the 2. I would totally go for the 65 inch but, once I do that I can't put it up and take it down myself. I do leave it out from May to December unless the weather is absolutely horrible. I can still manage the 55 on my own.