I guess people do like offensive material...

bethm1b

person of interest
Dec 1, 2006
Just past the line.
ET

LONDON (AFP) - Sales of a Tintin comic book have rocketed since the Commission for Racial Equality claimed it was racist, a newspaper reported Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sales of "Tintin in the Congo" have shot up by 3,800 percent after the CRE watchdog claimed it contained potentially highly offensive material, said The Daily Telegraph.

The comic has reached number eight on Internet retailer Amazon's most popular books list, the broadsheet reported.

A CRE spokesman accepted that its interjection could have sparked the rise in sales.

"It is a delicate balance but because we had a complaint from a member of the public we felt we had no choice," he said, according to the newspaper.

Borders, a British chain of bookstores, said Wednesday it had yanked copies of "Tintin in the Congo" from its children's sections following the CRE saying that it "beggared belief" that they should sell the comic.

"This book contains imagery and words of hideous racial prejudice, where the 'savage natives' look like monkeys and talk like imbeciles," a CRE spokeswoman had said.

"How and why do Borders think that it's okay to peddle such racist material?"

The CRE said it was contacted by a Borders customer last month who saw the book on sale in London.

"Tintin in the Congo", which first appeared in Belgian newspaper Le Vingtieme Siecle as a comic strip in 1930-1931, is part of the series "The Adventures of Tintin" by the Belgian author and illustrator Herge.

But its tale of boy reporter Tintin's trip with his dog Snowy to what was then the Belgian Congo is seen as controversial by some because of its depiction of colonialism and racism, as well as casual violence towards animals.

Herge later said the book was merely a reflection of the naive views of the time. Some of the scenes were revised for later editions.

bethm1b

person of interest
Dec 1, 2006
Just past the line.
["This book contains imagery and words of hideous racial prejudice, where the 'savage natives' look like monkeys and talk like imbeciles/QUOTE]

A comic book based on real life?

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
"This book contains imagery and words of hideous racial prejudice, where the 'savage natives' look like monkeys and talk like imbeciles," a CRE spokeswoman had said.
Just art imitating life.

TheDrip

I'm bi-winning.
Jan 9, 2006
What's next? Should we try removing books with references to our days of slavery, or British colonization, because it paints a bad picture in the mind of the readers?

Fucking faggots.

Great line:
""It is a delicate balance but because we had a complaint from a member of the public we felt we had no choice," he said, according to the newspaper."

Ooooo, a member of the public complained. Let's cause a stink. I hope the author is set for life due to this increase in sales thanks to these buffoons.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Herge later said the book was merely a reflection of the naive views of the time. Some of the scenes were revised for later editions.
Change the past. Nothing bad happened in the past. Ignore what happened before. Update history since we are right and they were wrong.

I'm going to go stew in anger now.

jackjack

May 12, 2007
Daytona Beach
Ooooo, a member of the public complained.
I'm not even convinced there was one legitimate compliant.
Earlier in the article, it was referred to thusly:
------
Sales of "Tintin in the Congo" have shot up by 3,800 percent after the CRE watchdog claimed it contained potentially highly offensive material, said The Daily Telegraph.

------
The 'potentially' part gives it away. They forgot to change their rhetoric after they drummed up a phoney complaint.