i have a fucked up spine.

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
In case anyone has been wondering where I've been lately since it may have seemed as though I dropped off the face of the Earth, here's a brief update.

I spent 4 days in the hospital last week. Basically, I have a degenerative spinal disorder where my discs just go to shit. I had to have major surgery where a couple of my shitty discs were replaced and then they fused together two of my vertebrae. I can't remember if they threw some titanium in there or not.

Anyway, recovery has been a motherfucking bitch, so I haven't really been doing any online shit lately. Basically I'm just at home, lying around, dealing with the pain and trying to sleep a lot.

Anyone else been through this kind of shit?

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
ouch
sorry to hear that Sweetie

fuckin' hate the thought of back surgery

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
In case anyone has been wondering where I've been lately since it may have seemed as though I dropped off the face of the Earth, here's a brief update.

I spent 4 days in the hospital last week. Basically, I have a degenerative spinal disorder where my discs just go to shit. I had to have major surgery where a couple of my shitty discs were replaced and then they fused together two of my vertebrae. I can't remember if they threw some titanium in there or not.

Anyway, recovery has been a motherfucking bitch, so I haven't really been doing any online shit lately. Basically I'm just at home, lying around, dealing with the pain and trying to sleep a lot.

Anyone else been through this kind of shit?
Ummm any pedicle screws involved?

http://www.fda.gov/foi/warning_letters/s6411c.htm

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I have a bad back, so I am aching in sympathy.

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
Oh shit! I forgot to tell everyone about the two highlights of this whole hospital experience... if there are any highlights at all:

1) My neurosurgeon was a straight up KRAUT. I had a feeling that once I was unconscious on the operating table, he probably cranked Deutschland Uberalis while he fixed my spine.

2) I spent something like 20 hours in the ER before they we able to get me my own room (fucking horrendous experience). While I was there, there was a nurse running around who was JUST LIKE Stalker Patti. My brother was the one who actually pointed it out and I almost died laughing.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Oh shit! I forgot to tell everyone about the two highlights of this whole hospital experience... if there are any highlights at all:

1) My neurosurgeon was a straight up KRAUT. I had a feeling that once I was unconscious on the operating table, he probably cranked Deutschland Uberalis while he fixed my spine.
"Now vee vill verk on yer spine."

2) I spent something like 20 hours in the ER before they we able to get me my own room (fucking horrendous experience). While I was there, there was a nurse running around who was JUST LIKE Stalker Patti. My brother was the one who actually pointed it out and I almost died laughing.
"Neyow we hayf to werk on yer speeyine"

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
I was so glad Stalker Patti nurse was not attending to me while I was there, because bitch was nuts. She kinda sounded like her, but moreso looked like her. Crackhead looking hair with bangs and glasses just like Patti. She kept talking to herself as she ran around the ER doing shit.

Thed nurse I had, thankfully, was awesome and she got me drugs whenever I needed them.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
Is it that chronic spinodiscogenic whatever ?

I had a boss with it once.

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
I actually have no idea what it's called. I was so out of it when I was in the hospital that I can't remember everything they told me. I saw like 10 doctors. It was crazy. I'm following up with the Nazi neurosurgeon soon.

Hey_Asshole

Man, Beer, Wild
Feb 21, 2007
TRueWDT
My wife has the degenerative disk disease as well as other problems with her back. I see how much pain she is constantly in. She has been putting off the surgery. Let us know how ya feel when you are all healed up.

I had anterior lumbar fusion last April. I was really scared about surgery (never been under the knife before). Once I got my strength back and was able to move around, I realized it was worth it. It's nice to not have pants shitting pain all the time. Plus, I have a cool 14" long scar on my stomach.

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
I had cervical fusion, so my scar is on the front of my neck. One of the reasons why I was so freaked out about having the surgery was because the part of my spine that is affected is so much closer to the brain stem. One small fuckup and I could be in a wheelchair for the rest of my life or worse. My surgeon is fucking amazing though -- one of the best in the field -- so that helped to put me at ease.

DJ Evel Ed

MayYourCumCrustedCocksBeConstantlyCoveredInCunt
Nov 30, 2003
Up your ass!
Artificial Disc

First, see my avatar. That's my spine with a Prodisc @ L4-L5. I have degenerative disc disease as well as a herniation. I also have an annular tear at L5- S1. I've been in 7/10 pain since 2003. I have tried everything for my pain. I take 300mg of Oxycontin, 1200mg Neurontin, Celebrex and occasional Valium. I've had a diskectomy, a discogram, ADR, physical therapy, epidural injections, facet joint injections, you name it! I am going for trigger point therapy soon and they are talking about injecting my spine with Botox to fry the ends of the nerves.
German doctors are actually the best spine doctors. Dr. Bertignoli & Dr. Zeegers have probably done 10,000 disc replacements and American doctors go to Germany to learn this procedure.
My support groups are GREAT and you can learn alot about spine issues here: www.adrsupport.com and www.ispine.org
This is all from a bad fall at work. My life has basically stopped since then. I cant sit for more than 20 minutes, cant drive, no sex, cant play drums, no sports, no sex, no horseback riding, no lifting, no bending, no sex, no DJ'ing, no airplane trips, ect... oh...and no sex!
If you'd like to see my MRI's & X-Rays go to:
www.globalpatientservices.com
user: egrimes
pw: 12345

I'm suprised you got fusion. Alot of times the adjacent discs have to make up for the motion that is limited by the fused disc. The adjacent discs then begin to degenerate because of the stress caused by the fusion.

Insurance companies say artificial discs are experimental but they say ANYTHING to not have to pay. I fought the insurance company and they eventually gave in. They like to make people jump through hoops.

Hope this helps.

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
Wow Evel, thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Your situation sounds MUCH worse than mine. My only affected area is the cervical part of my spine which is basically my neck. I've had pain over the years in my neck, but it was never really debilitating and I just chalked it up to work stress and shit like that. The only reason why they found this problem with me was because I went to the ER because I fainted and I was having pain/tingling all in my arms. They did a CT scan and noticed the bad discs, which lead to an MRI. I probably wouldn't have had it checked had I not fainted and gone to the hospital.

As for insurance, I guess I'll cross my fingers on that one. I have United Healthcare and so far they've been good, so we'll see.

DJ Evel Ed

MayYourCumCrustedCocksBeConstantlyCoveredInCunt
Nov 30, 2003
Up your ass!
Tee hee hee!!!

I wish my massage therapist looked like that!!!!!

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
hope ya feel better soon. Degenerative disc disease sucks. I've got it in my lower back along with arthritis in my hips. Not fun

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Aug 25, 2002
NYC
First, see my avatar. That's my spine with a Prodisc @ L4-L5. I have degenerative disc disease as well as a herniation. I also have an annular tear at L5- S1. I've been in 7/10 pain since 2003. I have tried everything for my pain. I take 300mg of Oxycontin, 1200mg Neurontin, Celebrex and occasional Valium. I've had a diskectomy, a discogram, ADR, physical therapy, epidural injections, facet joint injections, you name it! I am going for trigger point therapy soon and they are talking about injecting my spine with Botox to fry the ends of the nerves.
German doctors are actually the best spine doctors. Dr. Bertignoli & Dr. Zeegers have probably done 10,000 disc replacements and American doctors go to Germany to learn this procedure.
My support groups are GREAT and you can learn alot about spine issues here: www.adrsupport.com and www.ispine.org
This is all from a bad fall at work. My life has basically stopped since then. I cant sit for more than 20 minutes, cant drive, no sex, cant play drums, no sports, no sex, no horseback riding, no lifting, no bending, no sex, no DJ'ing, no airplane trips, ect... oh...and no sex!
If you'd like to see my MRI's & X-Rays go to:
www.globalpatientservices.com
user: egrimes
pw: 12345

I'm suprised you got fusion. Alot of times the adjacent discs have to make up for the motion that is limited by the fused disc. The adjacent discs then begin to degenerate because of the stress caused by the fusion.

Insurance companies say artificial discs are experimental but they say ANYTHING to not have to pay. I fought the insurance company and they eventually gave in. They like to make people jump through hoops.

Hope this helps.
Wow. I'm nearing your situation. I have DDD affecting L4 and L5 and it's getting progressively worse. It used to be that I just couldn't stand or walk for a certain time period with having to sit or at least bend over, but now sitting in a chair becomes difficult unless I shift my weight off-center. Personally, I wouldn't risk Lyrica or Neurontin due to the side effects and Celebrex is just a patent away from Vioxx itself. That does leave me having to decide how often to pop a Vicodin or Percodan so as to not become addicted, but short of that the risks of fucking up something else are lessened. My doc says it's spinal injections or the knife next. I don't see much alternative the way things are going either.

Is everyone else here with this get pain followed by pins and needles and finally numbness in the affected area? The way some doctors have reacted to my description of the symptoms made me wonder if numbness isn't typical.

All said, my head could be severed and in a jar ala Futurama, and I would find a way to have sex. Don't give up the ghost there. :D