• OMG!!! GDPR!! GDPR!!! GDP f***ing R!!!!!!!!!!!111111one!

Bla, Bla, Bla, updated privacy policy, because "we care about you! "

ಠ_ಠ

If you even give a shit, our privacy policy is here.

Pro-tip: If you have a reasonable, and transparent policy from Day 1, then you don't have to run around like an asshole!

I Have An Estimate From Belle Tire For Front Suspension

George Costanza

All Hail the Dragonslayer.
Aug 10, 2007
Lake Orion Michigan
Okay I have a number of repairs needed to my front suspension on my 96 celica gt. I was looking at some of the parts quoted in the estimate. One of the parts I need 2x of is Sway bar link kit k90124 moog front sway bar with control arms. Belle tire is charging 80 a piece for these and I need 2. So it would cost 180.

I see the same product on amazon for 35 apiece new with 2 day shipping, which would save me 110 dollars. Do car shops allow you to bring new parts with you so you don't have to pay the markup to get it from them. I called belle tire and they are closed. So I just wanted to see if any of you have done this before with any tire places? That is bringing your own new parts.

My suspension has been worn out for awhile and the sway bar link kit got damaged when I hit some big potholes a few times that are everywhere on michigan roads this year. After that my car was pulling hard to the left. I just don't want to trash my tires and have only driven 700 miles since the damage to the suspension and moog control arms.

When I got the car the suspension was shot and my front lower control arm bushings were severely worn. I had put off doing that repair for the last year. I figured I'd get everything fixed at once. The worn out front suspension, the k90124 moog front sway bar link needed with control arms.

Any one done this before?
I'll copy the estimate tomorrow and upload it to see if any of you men can help me.
Its 885.00 in labor and parts and I am trying to chew that number down.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Mark up is part of my profit. You bring your own parts
then it'll cost you more to have em installed and there's
no warranty so if they go bad, you'll pay the labor again
to replace the part even if you get a new one for free from
the manufacturer.

You wouldn't take eggs to a restaurant to cook so don't be
surprised when no shop is thrilled to install parts you
bought elsewhere.

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
I bought a performance exhaust system for the truck
Just from the Y-pipe back
Was gonna try to install it in my driveway , but decided not to
Took it to my regular shop and they put it on , no problem
But , I always take my vehicles to them
And always tip them well
They know I do some of the upkeep on my vehicles

Some stuff is better off left to the Pros that have a shop though

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
I will put customer parts on but refuse to warentee them and if they wont fit I refuse to fit them with out getting paid. Also if I dont like them I just wont do the job

Aug 27, 2002
Philly
moog balljoints or tierod ends as used pitted balls are reused and set in new sockets.
That is simply not true.

And OP, you can ask the shop if they can use a private label brand, that would save you a good deal and let them still make money on the parts. For a car that old, you should be fine with private label. Plus, at this point most private label product is made by premium manufacturers anyway (except for brake pads and oil filters, you need to know the manufacturer for those).

George Costanza

All Hail the Dragonslayer.
Aug 10, 2007
Lake Orion Michigan
Mark up is part of my profit. You bring your own parts
then it'll cost you more to have em installed and there's
no warranty so if they go bad, you'll pay the labor again
to replace the part even if you get a new one for free from
the manufacturer.

You wouldn't take eggs to a restaurant to cook so don't be
surprised when no shop is thrilled to install parts you
bought elsewhere.
That's pretty much the general message I got. Sucks though cause I can get the parts new on amazon for 32 bucks and they cost 80 at the shop. Like you said though if they have to install my parts the labor shoots up to 98 bucks from 30. Thanks for all the tips. I also figured out the sensor for the wii.

Top Bottom