I hesitate to ask this here....but any advice on potty training?

Kugzilla

Roar. Go: Eagles, Flyers, Philles, Buckeyes, etc.
Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
OK-I"m a stay at home dad now. I've been trying to read stuff on this, as I'm tired of changing diapers. Anyone here have any actual advice on this?

Serious replies only please.:icon_mrgr

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
In all seriousness, there are a million different ways people will suggest, but I think each kid comes around in their own time. I have my kid every other weekend. One weekend she was here, she wasn't trained. The next time, two weeks later, she was. Some kids take up to a year. So I think the main thing to stress is patience. Don't show any kind of disappointment, and use lots of positive feedback.

I guess that's all I can think of. It's been like 10 years since I had to worry about that. :D

Sevenyars

I own a Beanie cup, bought it off of ebay
Nov 30, 2004
Lancaster Ohio
Take the child out and let them pick out their own "big kid" underware. If they have a character they like ect. that is better. Make a big deal about being a big kid and using the potty. No matter how disgusting the mess is only be possitive about the training. If you start yelling , or getting mad. The child might digress. Some people may argue that making a big deal about such a trivial thing is wrong and may hurt the child later on. And that it should be treated with disinterest and just say use the toilet or not. That the lack of interest may make the child use it quicker without fan fair. I found with my daughter that the training with all the congradulations was what she needed, and it led to us bonding. It took her about three weeks to get out of diapers.
Now the passy, that one took a little longer.

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
y sons autistic.. I taught him by just putting him on the toilet every half hour...and making him sit there awhile. he learned that if he pooped he got to leave faster.

Kugzilla

Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
We did the underpaaants (linger longer) thing a few days ago, and they were excited about those, but haven't yet been able to transition that into actual use. The twins are who I'm working on, and it's pretty tought with both of them. The girl is interested, but the boy, not so much. I'm cool if I can get one of them done, as once that's done, the other one should come along...

And I'm taking care of them and their 14 month old sister, so to be honest, I keep forgetting to work on it.

Sevenyars

I own a Beanie cup, bought it off of ebay
Nov 30, 2004
Lancaster Ohio
Don't give up, it may take a few weeks. Since they have been in this world they have been pooping like a horse, when and where they wanted. It's tought on their little phykies. But you have to stay on it too. Children are who their parents are. If you don't see it as important , then neither will they. Seems like you have a very full house. i really envy you. Not the late night feedings mind you, just having all those chillr'in around .

Kugzilla

Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
y sons autistic.. I taught him by just putting him on the toilet every half hour...and making him sit there awhile. he learned that if he pooped he got to leave faster.
I've read about that-I tried setting the timer on the microwave, and putting them on every 45 minutes, but invariably, one of the three had something going on and we got off schedule and then the whole thing became too chaotic.

Kugzilla

Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
Seems like you have a very full house. i really envy you. Not the late night feedings mind you, just having all those chillr'in around .
When it good, its great. When it's a rough day, it's harder than anything I ever had when I was working a "real job."

But, it is a great opportunity. Hope I'm not scarring them too bad for life... the twins are 3, and my boy can identify almost every artist on my ipod, and his twin sister can nearly write her name.

The baby has discovered that farts are funny. Think overall I'm doing alright, but waking up at 3am with the Blues Clues "time for so long" song in my head is a far cry from the old days...

blee

Will Drink Today
Dec 9, 2004
western ny
I heard that it is easy to train boys if you use Cheerios. Put some in the toilet and give him something to aim for.

Dopie Opie

Oct 22, 2004
The most important part of potty training was being consistent. We have four and at one point we had three in diapers, without twins.

Its a challenge and the hardest part was remembering to send them to the bathroom.

My other suggestion is when in the house let them run around in underwear all day. Its easier than stripping them down when they piss or shit on themselves. And less laundry.

Kugzilla

Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
I heard that it is easy to train boys if you use Cheerios. Put some in the toilet and give him something to aim for.
I don't think I'll try that with him, but I want to try it now. Sounds like fun.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I agree with Dopie Opie and the letting them run around the house sans diapers. Not only does it make it quicker when they feel the "urge," it also removes the memory of being comfortable with warmness in your diapers.

The girl is probably going to be easier, so try and concentrate with her first and the boy should be soon after.

Also, try "showing" them (your wife with the girl obviously) how you do it. With the boy, (and I'm being serious here) try and use your hand to shield your own junk so as not to freak the little guy out.

Until kids hit their teens and start to have their own lives, there's nothing more important to them than emulating mommy and daddy and trying to please them

rustytrombone1

May 26, 2005
Connecticut
Saw the thread title....thought Kugzilla was having personal problems....talk about disappointment when the thread was about being a responsible parent.

Might I suggest: rub the lad's nose in it

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
With the boy, (and I'm being serious here) try and use your hand to shield your own junk so as not to freak the little guy out.
Yeah don't want the next generation of shock jocks to be fucked up with images of dads schlong pissing and crying like a bawlbaby.

LL

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
The most important part of potty training was being consistent.
QFT

It's not something you can half do. Glenn Dandy's approach works well, you just bring them in there all the time hoping to strike gold and soon enough they get the idea of the whole thing. Actually holding it in until they get to a bathroom can take a while after that.

Our kids were all trained by 2.5 years old thanks to valiant effort on my Wife's part.

not_you_too

May 5, 2004
Philly
My daughter is 22 months old... we started with her about two months ago, taking her diaper off and having her sit on her little potty when we used the bathroom. (We bought 4 of the $10 ones on amazon so every bathroom has one). Within a few days she was peeing on it reliably when we would sit her down, and after a few weeks she started to tell us when she had to go. We still can't get her to tell us when he has to drop a log, though... but she's still pretty young to be using the potty anyway. At least we only have to change her 2 or so times a day now, which is good because we have a 1 month old that goes through a ton of diapers!

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I've read about that-I tried setting the timer on the microwave, and putting them on every 45 minutes, but invariably, one of the three had something going on and we got off schedule and then the whole thing became too chaotic.
Bear in mind his kid has autism, it's a whole different world of everything having to be on a strict schedule with repetition being key.

sued

Now you know
Sep 2, 2004
Montclair.NJ
If it is a boy buy those biodegradable packaging peanuts and let him aim.
If it is girl, sit her down and read a book hang out for 10 minutes at a time. No longer than that or her butt and legs will fall asleep. I put an egg timer in the kitchen for every 30 minutes and let her run around naked. I had to use some carpet cleaner once or twice but she got the idea pretty quickly.

Kugzilla

Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
Those of you who went for broke and dealt with the mess, did you make a big deal of putting the new undies on em, or did you just put em on and wing it?

Man, I really like our new carpet...

Kugzilla

Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
My story with my son is here.

My daughter just farts on the hopper and cracks herself up.
I can't tell you how much it pleases me that I"m not the first one to have started a thread on this topic. Man...Wackbag-what can't we do?

Wife and I are both home the next two days-I think I'm going to try the no diaper thing tomorrow, but need to get some carpet cleaner first.

Kugzilla

Oct 7, 2005
Northern Virginia
Well, I tried the no diaper thing, and the girl peed, but did it on the way to the bathroom, so, progress.

Aug 27, 2002
Bensalem, PA via Souf Philly
Its good to hear about the no diaper/panties thing...

Part of me kinda felt uncomfortable about it, like if someone "happened" to see my daughter running around sans panties they might think that I was a perv or something... It definitely works so I could care less what someone else thinks.

Now she is 5 and in this "control phase" where she'll hold it in because she doesn't want to "miss" anything.

Oddly enough, it seems to coincide with events (parties, showers, etc) We tell her that she winds up missing more by not going. I'll even pause the TV if she is watching something.

It is frustrating and it drives my wife and I crazy because we know that she needs to go and my daughter knows that she needs to go, but instead of going she'll tense up and hold it in.

It gets to the point where she winds up constipating herself by not going. It then turns into a huge production to get her to poop, even when we give her Mira-Lax.

Warfarer

I can't think of anything funny.
Jun 20, 2005
Alabama
I am completely and utterly disappointed that this thread has stayed on course. There isn't even one mention of molestation or child spanking anywhere.