I like rap

Sep 10, 2005
Staten Island, NY
Technique has 3 or 4 good songs on his first album, after that he gets too blowhard with that pseudo revolutionary bullshit. Enough.
He's pretty competent doing his stuff live, too.

dominant species, creation/destruction and no me importa are my shit though.

Look for Ill bills album "what's wrong with bill."
More rapping like you've never heard before.

Trust me on that one.

noway man, vol 2 is one of my favorite rap albums i've ever heard.....Wu Tang are amazing also.

mendozathejew

Mar 12, 2005
jersey
midnight maruaders by tribe is one of the best hip hop albums ever

if you want a lost classic, Word Life by OC. it came out in 94' as his record label went under. and it basically was completely unknown at the time. its similar to illmatic in some ways but the beats are heavily jazz influenced. its very worth finding

Hip Hop was great back in the day when people battled with actual lyrics and the whole thing meant something. being lyrically superior to the next guy. Now it's all "I have more money and useless shit than you do" bullshit.

I second the comment on Common and Talib Kweli. Two of the best. I wish Mos Def stepped up and did something really new.

UnOriginal

Companion Cube Lover
Feb 16, 2005
noway man, vol 2 is one of my favorite rap albums i've ever heard.....Wu Tang are amazing also.
IT has bought into his own shit too heavily, and almost becomes redundant when he sounds like every other line is about him trying to blow your mind with some new fact or rhyme.

Heroin_Bob

The Avatar has returned.
Jan 11, 2006
So if we were all to agree on some things about Hip hop it would be that...Old school stuff is good, current stuff blows and Independent rap is the only rap worth listening to nowadays.

I'm down for all of that.

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
Depends what you mean by independent. Hiero and stuff of that ilk, yeah. Sage francis and such have become boring as fuck. I'll listen to the felt stuff even though I find slug to be utterly annoying on his own, murs carries the shit out of him.

Jan 3, 2006
In Fleas Mom's Box
When i hear albums like

Immortal Technique - Revolutionary Vol 1 and 2!

Holy shit, i've never heard rap this good before...fucking sick...
You sir have a good taste in music...

Also: Try MF Doom's "Mmmmmfood" and Danger Doom is pretty impe as well. Little Brother is pretty good too but "Minstrel Show" was too over the top IMO. I also enjoy classic KRS-ONE and Boogie Down Productions.

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
Aug 19, 2005
Chicago, IL. Southside, stupid.
Little Brother, heh... I always liked that name for those dudes. The first time I heard them in oh, probably 2000, 2001... I said... "You know, they're alright, but I'd rather listen to the father of their style, rather than a little brother of it."

After that I threw on some dug infinite and pete rock joints, and enjoyed the more purer version of that style of beatmaking.

That, is the problem with new rap and why everyone with an aware mind usually thinks it sucks.
All rap, hiphop, etc, is the most derivative of "music" forms.
It borrows, steals and jacks the most.
I'll drop some science about it, and some of what I learned practicing this artform for a long long time. IF you care to read, read on. If not. Skip ahead and buy your kanye cd.

But the problem with rap, and why most people wind up not liking it...
Everything is a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy. The trick is finding the "artists" with the least amount of copied or borrowed style/talent/skills/methods of production. I find those guys are usually tolerable the most.

That's why I believe there are only 6 mc's where ALL rappers, rhymers, mc's that rhyme today get their skills from. (Beat making is a bit more complex than this, maybe I'll get into that some time too.)

But all mc's styles today... all... are derivative of these guys, meaning rhymers you hear today all can be found borrowing nuances, styles and patterns from one or all of these 6 :

Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Kool G rap, Kool Keith (circa ultramagnetic's critical beatdown) Krs, and LL Kool J (yes, believe it or not. kool j. The rhyme pattern from his debut on Radio is one of the prototypes or first frames of reference a lot of mc's have to rhyming, and it's overly evident to my ears when I hear someone who heard that album a bit too much as a kid/teen rapping on a track today)

These 6 have derivative styles from the earlier oldschool rappers, melle mel, furious 5, etc, of course. But largely, they developed rhyme patterns and methods unique to themselves, and it influenced the most. Much more so than in any other generation of rhymer. (91-95 was also a good era for this influence, but that's a story for another post, too)

Now, you can put any rhymer in my headphones, and I'll be able to identify which category he'd fall in. Was he influenced by G rap, kool keith and rakim? (personally, my favorite kind of mc. The big puns, the ill bills, Big L's) Or Krs and Big Daddy Kane and LL (think of plug from dela, and tip from atcq. ) Etc, etc.

One step further, is the majority of mc's of today (whatevers popular on whatever inner city urban radio station) aren't derivative of those main 6 originators anymore. They're derivatives of the derivatives, of the derivatives so to speak.

Basically you have a lot of this.
6th generation mc's being inspired by 5th generation mc's.
The 5th gen mc's were inspired by the 4th gen, the 4th by the 3rd, the 3rd by the 2nd, and every generation, they get more dilluted and become more watered down amalgams of other peoples style.
Once in a while you'll come across an mc who just comes out, or is brand new or something, and he'll have a purer style. A more refined derivative. They're usually students of their culture, and no slouches.
The ones like your immortal techniques, c-rayz's, breez evahflowin's, etc.

Now, because there are derivatives of style, doesn't mean there's no creativity going on. I'm just saying there's theres a huge lack of it the more time elapses.

UnOriginal

Companion Cube Lover
Feb 16, 2005
(personally, my favorite kind of mc. The big puns, the ill bills, Big L's) Or Krs and Big Daddy Kane and LL (think of plug from dela, and tip from atcq. ) Etc, etc.
Bill is still putting out some amazing stuff, like his new single on his myspace.

Sep 10, 2005
Staten Island, NY
It happens in every genre of music deadbent.....Every genre gets overdone and eventually a new artist comes out of nowhere doing the style in a new way....happens in metal alot.

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
Aug 19, 2005
Chicago, IL. Southside, stupid.
It happens in every genre of music deadbent.....Every genre gets overdone and eventually a new artist comes out of nowhere doing the style in a new way....happens in metal alot.
Oh yeah bro, definitely. It's relative to every style of sound/music, you name it.

atxklown

Will you do me a Kindness
Jan 26, 2004
Austin TX
I've been taking my twists and turns on hip hop for a while: Mickey Avalon, Plan B, TTC, Swollen Members, Sway, Dizzee Rascal, Existereo, Buck 65