I might have to give this Dave Chappelle fellow a listen.

I recently watched "Delirious" for the umpteenth time, it still makes me laugh. It's 36 years old and it's still holds up if you aren't the type to get your knickers all twisted up. George Carlin, Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy were, in that order, my introduction to comedy as a kid. I look forward to Murphys' upcoming special, I just have a shitty feeling I'm going to be disappointed.
Disappointed in the sense that it's a movie, not a special?

ysr50

Donator
Disappointed in the sense that it's a movie, not a special?
I thought he was going to put out a special on Netflix? Wasn't it supposed to be his comeback into stand-up?

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
I thought he was going to put out a special on Netflix? Wasn't it supposed to be his comeback into stand-up?
Dolemite movie this year. Then a new standup next year if Netflix can make the deal. Last I saw it was $70m.

ysr50

Donator
Dolemite movie this year. Then a new standup next year if Netflix can make the deal. Last I saw it was $70m.
That's a lot of money for a special. I wonder if he's worried. His early specials are iconic, he can walk away as a legend or he can step on his dick as an old fart and ruin his legacy. Time will tell.

Edit: Maybe his new special will make that old stuff look like elementary school nonsense.

Hog's Big Ben

Donator
That's a lot of money for a special. I wonder if he's worried. His early specials are iconic, he can walk away as a legend or he can step on his dick as an old fart and ruin his legacy. Time will tell.

Edit: Maybe his new special will make that old stuff look like elementary school nonsense.
That NYT quote was - of course - devoid of context.

For when Murphy is flipping channels on television and stumbles across Raw, he cringes. The cocky jokes about women and relationships remind him, he said, of a breakup he was going through back then. ‘I was a young guy processing a broken heart, you know, kind of an asshole,’ he said.”

Wearing a plush zip-up jacket with sunglasses hanging off the front, Murphy leaned back and shifted from a cool monotone to a comic impression of himself watching Raw as a snooty prude. “That’s a bit much, my goodness,” he said, cracking up, then shifting again, taking his voice down an octave to register a hint of moral disapproval: “My word.”

Sounds like any professional looking back 35 years at their inexperience, both in life and their profession. I doubt the act he's working on will be about faggots looking at his ass and Honeymooners buttsex jokes.

He's hosting SNL in December. We'll see what he's got.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Donator
That NYT quote was - of course - devoid of context.

For when Murphy is flipping channels on television and stumbles across Raw, he cringes. The cocky jokes about women and relationships remind him, he said, of a breakup he was going through back then. ‘I was a young guy processing a broken heart, you know, kind of an asshole,’ he said.”

Wearing a plush zip-up jacket with sunglasses hanging off the front, Murphy leaned back and shifted from a cool monotone to a comic impression of himself watching Raw as a snooty prude. “That’s a bit much, my goodness,” he said, cracking up, then shifting again, taking his voice down an octave to register a hint of moral disapproval: “My word.”

Sounds like any professional looking back 35 years at their inexperience, both in life and their profession. I doubt the act he's working on will be about faggots looking at his ass and Honeymooners buttsex jokes.

He's hosting SNL in December. We'll see what he's got.
What he does on SNL will tell me if he is serious about getting back into stand-up or not. When they did the 25th anniversary special a couple of years ago, he came out and pretty much phoned it in. I don't know if it was because he thought it was beneath him or he was worried about bombing in front of his peers.

Hog's Big Ben

Donator
What he does on SNL will tell me if he is serious about getting back into stand-up or not. When they did the 25th anniversary special a couple of years, he came out and pretty much phoned it in. I don't know if it was because he thought it was beneath him or he was worried about bombing in front of his peers.
I think he's serious. Did you see the Comedians in Cars thing with Seinfeld from a few months ago? He's still hilarious just conversationally, but he's talking about getting back in clubs and working on a new act. He could probably do his entire SNL monologue on shit that happened behind the scenes on the show.

ysr50

Donator
I wonder if he'll start working out an act at some of the small clubs? I hate Hollywood and Pasadena, but I'd drive down there to see him perform even if it was just a warm up. Is he LA or NYC based?

Hog's Big Ben

Donator
I wonder if he'll start working out an act at some of the small clubs? I hate Hollywood and Pasadena, but I'd drive down there to see him perform even if it was just a warm up. Is he LA or NYC based?
When Seinfeld picked him up in that Comedians in Cars episode, his mansion looked like something straight out of Beverly Hills Cop.

ysr50

Donator
When Seinfeld picked him up in that Comedians in Cars episode, his mansion looked like something straight out of Beverly Hills Cop.
Haven't seen it, I'd imagine during the summer mansions on Long Island or in Brentwood would look pretty similar.

Hog's Big Ben

Donator
Haven't seen it, I'd imagine during the summer mansions on Long Island or in Brentwood would look pretty similar.
I just skimmed through looking for landmarks - they drove by the Skirball Center. Tell him Wackbag says hi.

Bobobie

I remember when Youtube before it was engulfed by Amazon. You could find all of Murphy's old SNL bits, then NBC went Copyright crazy and had all that shit taken.