[Question] I need a good cheap Hard Drive for my dish network reciever

Joker1919

Oct 11, 2008
Central Kentucky
You guys in the know I would like to ask your advice on a good cheap hard drive for my dish network receiver. The ones that the dish website recommend is fucking expensive and I figured that some of you guys might know a good cheap alternative.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
theyre all expensive right now

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
You guys in the know I would like to ask your advice on a good cheap hard drive for my dish network receiver. The ones that the dish website recommend is fucking expensive and I figured that some of you guys might know a good cheap alternative.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
For a DVR app, it's important to get a recommended drive for various reasons. What drive is recommended?

Joker1919

Oct 11, 2008
Central Kentucky
For a DVR app, it's important to get a recommended drive for various reasons. What drive is recommended?
Sorry it took so long to get back to you Sinn, The website says I need to get either a Western Digital My Book A/V or Hitachi XL 1000. I'm no expert but I heard Western Digital is a pretty good brand. I'd appreciate your thoughts or suggestions.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
Are you talking about an External Drive? If it's going to be on all the time make sure it has decent cooling, like a small internal exhaust fan. Cheap external drives are not meant to be on constantly. You use them to backup your data and then turn them off.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
When I got an external drive for my FIOS DVR, I did alot of poking around on some Dish Network and Direct TV forums because those folks did alot of the preliminary homework in regards to what drives worked will in this kind of application and what didn't.

Some drives can't maintain the transfer bitrate for video playback, and others just don't work, etc.

As far as the WD MyBook A/V, it's an external drive that is designed for add-on DVR capacity. They call it a DVR Expander and make models specific to the different cable/satellite providers that are guaranteed to work in each respective application. The 1TB model for Dish Network is $99 on WD's site but it's out of stock. For some reason, it says the minimum order is 4 units. I don't see them in-stock anywhere else after doing a quick search, but some might be out there... I found one site that had it listed for $189 but out of stock.

Touching on the subject of Bobobie's post above - I built my own external drive instead of buying a pre-built unit like a MyBook. I wanted something that had a fan and would run cool and stand up to 24/7/365 usage.

I used a Western Digital AV-GP 3.5" SATA drive. They are specifically designed for this type of application.

Newegg has a bare 3.5" 1TB AV-GP for $139.99 (was $169.99).

I went with this external case for my setup.

According to what I could find after a quick Google search, something like this SHOULD work for you. My advice is to check some of the Dish Network related forums out there and see what other people are doing.