I need a new PC...Help

madbam

I'm on da Zoloft..........
Aug 2, 2001
Poughkeepsie, NY
My Home PC is over 6 yrs old (DELL DImension 8200) and it finally shit the bed...nasty virus..long story...anyway..I have been researching the hell out of what's available and I am really confused and overwhelmed..I am not a gamer but like the occasional GTA or half life game...I surf the net everyday and use itunes and burn cd's/....do I stick with DELL or go to another PC brand..I don't want to build my own because I just don't have the time..any suggestions are welcome..Thanks:icon_mrgr

Than McNally

Jan 16, 2007
WV
apple.com
get ANY mac and get parallels to run windows inside of it for your occasional gaming.

nuff said. and NO i am NOT like the apple guy on todays show. they are just slick machines. i am a software engineer, i build stuff for windows and love my mac.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
What's your budget?

The Mac route is going to cost you at least $1400. (iMac w/ATI graphics, Parallels, and Windows XP)

Something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883107396
will give you virtually everything you need - just add monitor (even a 20") and you're still under a $1000. It has integrated graphics, which is weak for games, though better than most other integrated options. It does have a slot to add a dedictated graphics card.

For Dell (though I try to avoid them), the XPS 410 with 2 gig and Windows XP will run you $999, includes Core 2 Duo, Nvidia 7300 grahics w/256mb, 250 gig hd, DVD+-RW/DL burner, 19" LCD.

Any machine you're going to buy will be good for the standard internet/email/word processing/music.

Gaming is a different issue. Generally you want a dedicated graphics card, though for casual gaming, you're not talking a big premium.

Whatever you do, spring for at least 2gig of ram if the machine has Vista on it. If you've got a choice, stick with XP for now.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Specify a budget and whether or not you want a desktop or a notebook. There are lots of options.

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
What do you want to do with it?
Are you getting a new monitor?

Vista Home Premium or Buisness
~3 GHz Processor (dual or signal) 64 bit
2 Gigs Ram DIMM
200 Gigs Hard Drive(SATA, 7200 RPMs+, 8+ MB cache)
DVD +/-/ROM burner
512 MB-1 Gig PCIe Gfx card
4+ USB ports
multiple PCI slots

Make sure it comes with good software.

agentjmw

Clayton Townly Businessman
Jul 13, 2005
I went Mac a few months ago. Its the cats ass. Whatever you do, avoid Dell.

ginaf20697

Jul 26, 2005
NH
My husband is an IT manager. He agrees Dells are shit. He wants me to get a Macbook when my Thinkpad dies. Should be around October since my three year warranty expires in September. All I do is surf and watch stuff on it anyway so a Mac is ideal for that.

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
Aug 19, 2005
Chicago, IL. Southside, stupid.
I'll also suggest a mac, but ONLY ONLY if the model you're looking at offers you everything you need right out of its box.

Switching platforms is still a pain in the ass, especially to old dogs who hate having to learn new tricks just to keep up with the joneses (like me)

With that said though, my macbook c2d is great, and it did come with everything I looked for right out of the box without bloat-ware that dell is famous for. I do all of my white-hat stuff on it.

also, mac laptops actually are more cost effective than just about every other laptop out there. (There was a recent article on slashdot detailing this, I don't have the link handy)

Again, bam, if you need a hand, shoot me your budget. I'll have ya 5 or 6 picks you can review and check out yourself. In both lappy and desktop form.

Arc Lite

As big as your Imagination...
Apr 25, 2005
SW Missouri
There's a lot out there worse than Dell. I've had two and will probably get another when my current one needs replacing.

madbam

Aug 2, 2001
Poughkeepsie, NY
I'll also suggest a mac, but ONLY ONLY if the model you're looking at offers you everything you need right out of its box.

Switching platforms is still a pain in the ass, especially to old dogs who hate having to learn new tricks just to keep up with the joneses (like me)

With that said though, my macbook c2d is great, and it did come with everything I looked for right out of the box without bloat-ware that dell is famous for. I do all of my white-hat stuff on it.

also, mac laptops actually are more cost effective than just about every other laptop out there. (There was a recent article on slashdot detailing this, I don't have the link handy)

Again, bam, if you need a hand, shoot me your budget. I'll have ya 5 or 6 picks you can review and check out yourself. In both lappy and desktop form.
I'd love to get a mac but it isn't in my budget right now plus I have a thinkpad for a work pc but I want a desktop for home.

My budget is anything less than 700 bucks. The things I would like to have are:

2 GHZ or more (Don't know Intel or AMD)
1Gig Ram or better
160G HDD
cd/dvd drive or dvd r/w whatever is the best
no floppy
6 or so USB 2/0 ports
1 Firewire port
Windows XP (Pro or Home)

THanks for the help dude...I am pulling out my hair here...and Dell's are really that shitty now...I guess a lot has changed in 6 yrs huh?

Deadbent

You can go fuck.
Aug 19, 2005
Chicago, IL. Southside, stupid.
Dells really aren't that bad if you get a budget model and blank their operating system and freshly install your own right out of the box.

So a desktop around 700 clams.

Lemme figure out a few for ya. I'll have a report for ya tomorrow or later tonight. I'm also sure several of the other buddies viewing the thread can help on some good input.

thelord68

Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Here, check this out

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103038

I've used Acer computers in business applications on occasion, though I use Acer monitors in most applications, and they've held up well with little attention necessary.

Pentium D 3.0 ghz (64bit, dual-core Pentium)
1 gig RAM
160gig SATA hd
DVD+-RW (burns and reads CD and DVD)
8 usb (4 front/4 back)
Integrated graphics (Intel 3000) but has PCIe x16 slot for dedicated video card
also has a PCIe x1 and two PCI slots
Windows XP Pro

$499.00

Just add a monitor - 19 or 20" LCD < $200 (Acer, Hanns-G)

madbam

Aug 2, 2001
Poughkeepsie, NY
Dells really aren't that bad if you get a budget model and blank their operating system and freshly install your own right out of the box.

So a desktop around 700 clams.

Lemme figure out a few for ya. I'll have a report for ya tomorrow or later tonight. I'm also sure several of the other buddies viewing the thread can help on some good input.

Very much appreciated man...

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
Here, check this out

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103038

I've used Acer computers in business applications on occasion, though I use Acer monitors in most applications, and they've held up well with little attention necessary.

Pentium D 3.0 ghz (64bit, dual-core Pentium)
1 gig RAM
160gig SATA hd
DVD+-RW (burns and reads CD and DVD)
8 usb (4 front/4 back)
Integrated graphics (Intel 3000) but has PCIe x16 slot for dedicated video card
also has a PCIe x1 and two PCI slots
Windows XP Pro

$499.00

Just add a monitor - 19 or 20" LCD < $200 (Acer, Hanns-G)
For $698 you can get a Dell desktop with 300GB hard drive and 1GB ram (edit: The sign I saw at Wal-mart the last time I was there must have been wrong about the 2GB RAM because the ones online have 1GB) at Wal-Mart. Hmmm looking at them closely...the processors suck dick.

DELL package: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5925440

Compaq package: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5707026

They also are carrying pretty decent laptops now. I picked up this laptop from Wal-Mart last fall for a graphics class (so I could work on graphics when I needed to). It is a Toshiba Satellite with WiFi, 90GB HDD (They have larger HDDs now), and 1GB ram for $700. Watch out though, because they also carry a model similar that has 512MB Ram.

Besides Toshiba they also have Compaq and Sony VAIO laptops.

thelord68

Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
For $698 you can get a Dell desktop with 300GB hard drive and 1GB ram (edit: The sign I saw at Wal-mart the last time I was there must have been wrong about the 2GB RAM because the ones online have 1GB) at Wal-Mart. Hmmm looking at them closely...the processors suck dick.

DELL package: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5925440

Compaq package: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5707026

They also are carrying pretty decent laptops now. I picked up this laptop from Wal-Mart last fall for a graphics class (so I could work on graphics when I needed to). It is a Toshiba Satellite with WiFi, 90GB HDD (They have larger HDDs now), and 1GB ram for $700. Watch out though, because they also carry a model similar that has 512MB Ram.

Besides Toshiba they also have Compaq and Sony VAIO laptops.
Both the Compaq and Dell machines are loaded with Vista.

Toshiba's always my first choice in laptops.

ginaf20697

Jul 26, 2005
NH
Shoot I might just get a Mac so I can avoid Vista. The Windows OSs get more and more annoying with each upgrade.

agentjmw

Clayton Townly Businessman
Jul 13, 2005
Dude we owned Dells for over 10 years. The last bunch are shit. Ram goes bad. Takes days to get them to come to fix. Refused at first. Replaced power supply. Did not fix. We had to get Ram out of pocket to get back to work. Dell's will be sold in Wal Mart. Should give you an idea where they are going.

ginaf20697

Jul 26, 2005
NH
I had the misfortune of hearing my annoying loudmouth coworker talking with Dell support for weeks in order to get all his problems fixed. The usual crap, they kept trying to fix it, probably replaced almost every single part in it before he finally got them to just give him a new computer.

madbam

Aug 2, 2001
Poughkeepsie, NY
I had the misfortune of hearing my annoying loudmouth coworker talking with Dell support for weeks in order to get all his problems fixed. The usual crap, they kept trying to fix it, probably replaced almost every single part in it before he finally got them to just give him a new computer.
I hear that...I am leaning toward HP right now and maybe even Lenovo. Since I work at IBM I get a discount (Although it isnt a big one). Anyone hear anything about them?