I need help, advice, whatever....please read

Dopie Opie

Oct 22, 2004
What do I do here guys and gals ??

I won a pair of free airline tickets (American Airlines) at a golf tournament last week. They are good anywhere in the US as well as the Bahamas and the Carribean.

Problem #1 - I hate flying. We have not flown since our honeymoon in 1999. Not necessarily scared of terrorists, just do not like not being in control. I used to fly for work all the time and I hated it. Just not wired to fly.

Problem #2 - We are kind of strapped for cash right now and we would have never be able to fly the whole family because there are 4 kids.

Problem #3 - I am sure I could sell the vouchers and make a few bucks. Nothing that will solve any problems, but may at least pay for a weekend away for me and the wife.

Problem #4 - She wants to fly off to Vegas or L.A. or S.F or the Bahamas for a long weekend without the kids. I hate being that far without them.

Now one of my main concerns is that my dislike of flying will cause me so much stress while we are away that I will not even be able to enjoy the mini vacation.

Any suggestions

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
where do you live? how far are the flights? Seriously, flying is really safe...I know it is cliche, but you are in way more danger driving in a car. You could probably get a prescription for a valium for the flight, take it, relax and enjoy the flight

Dopie Opie

Oct 22, 2004
I am in NY - I have flown, and flown some long fligts and small planes. I have been to Hawaii, St. Lucia, Aruba, etc. I also you used to have to fly to Ft Smith Ar. four times a year which was like a 20 seat prop plane. It is not the actual flight it is more the anxiety knowing that I will be flying.

Not sure what the fucking deal is.

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
Are the vouchers transferable, do they expire and are there usage conditions?

Dopie Opie

Oct 22, 2004
Are the vouchers transferable, do they expire and are there usage conditions?
Pretty sure they are transferrable as they are not made out to me. They are just AA vouchers. They do need to be used by March 22, 2008. Other restrictions I need to look closer.

The sucky part is trying to find a nice place to take the wife for a weeked in the northeast during the fall and winter. I am an AC kind of guy, but we do that all the time.

roche

i am lame
Wackbag Staff
May 28, 2004
Dallas, TX
Pretty sure they are transferrable as they are not made out to me. They are just AA vouchers. They do need to be used by March 22, 2008. Other restrictions I need to look closer.

The sucky part is trying to find a nice place to take the wife for a weeked in the northeast during the fall and winter. I am an AC kind of guy, but we do that all the time.
I know someone who could sure use a vacation. :action-sm

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
Shit if they where good till mid July 08 I would have given you a few hundred for em, thats when we go to Vegas for our anniversary.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California

wait till the middle of winter when you are sick of the cold, get the valium prescript and go somewhere warm.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Shit if they where good till mid July 08 I would have given you a few hundred for em, thats when we go to Vegas for our anniversary.
Yeah, I can't use them either. We already have our tickets to Vegas and
to Disneyworld. Next time I'll need tickets is to the Keys but that's not
until the end of April.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
I feel your pain. I do not like to fly. I never wanted to, and had to fly on business out to Kansas City about 7 years ago. It wasn't that bad. I haven't flown since. In the interim, 9/11 happened. Call me a pussy, I don't care. I have a genuine fear of flying, and now a genuine fear of savages causing a problem on my plane. On top of it all, my best friend is an aircraft mechanic and he's shared some doozies with me about some of the things that have gone on.

I'm sure someone will give you a fair price for those vouchers. I think you should then take your wife/kids away for a nice weekend getaway.

Dopie Opie

Oct 22, 2004
Thanks MJ. I would love to have some of your cash. I was actually looking at rates at some of the top line hotels in Vegas and while they can be pricey on the weekend, week day rates are quite reasonable.

I looked at The Palms, Mandalay Bay, Mirage, etc.....

I have a buddy who just moved to L.A. who I could go and see.

Just freaks me out being so far from the kids and not being able to just jump in my car and be home in a few hours.

Dopie Opie

Oct 22, 2004
It would have to be me and the wife, no kids, which is fine with me. SHe stays home with four kids and needs to get away. I have offered to go to the city, do the Broadway thing and now I am getting an attitude that I never want to do anything with her.

We can go to the city anytime is the shit that I am hearing.

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
Thanks MJ. I would love to have some of your cash. I was actually looking at rates at some of the top line hotels in Vegas and while they can be pricey on the weekend, week day rates are quite reasonable.

Just freaks me out being so far from the kids and not being able to just jump in my car and be home in a few hours.
go to vegas.com the best deals I have ever found I found on that site

kimothee

Token Gimpy Cunt
Aug 31, 2004
The Edge of the Water, Norf Jersey
Dude, seriously....your wife is basically beating you over the head telling you that she needs a break. Man up and have a couple drinks before getting on the plane. Make sure that your kids are staying with someone very safe (grandparents or siblings of yours/your wife's) and go away for 4 days. I think you're more paranoid than the kids would be.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be

Talk to your doctor and get a scrip for xanax and get on the plane. Your kids will be fine and might even benefit from some time apart from Mommy & Daddy. And Mommy & Daddy will definitely benefit from having grown up time. One of my sisters has little ones and she & my b-i-l try to have at least one preferably 2 mini grown-up only vacations. The boys look forward to it as well since they get to spend those few days at either of the two sets of grandparents and get spoiled not only by the grands but also by the aunt (me) and the uncle (my b-i-l's brother).

I have a timeshare I might be able to rent to you if you let me know the dates you want to go out there. Long as there's availability, I'd have no problem doing it. Let me know when you want to go and then we'll talk $$ - I'm not looking to break your piggy bank.

It's the Wyndham Grand Desert which is 1/4 mile from the strip.
http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/LASGD/main.wnt

Jolie

Filthy Liberal
Aug 25, 2002
Virginia
Talk to your doctor - many doctors will prescribe valium for you to take during the flight. At least, thats what a friend told me - her gf HATED flying so they always drugged her before the flights.

generoso

Blueberry Coffee diva.
Aug 5, 2004
Long Island ,NY
OK or try this...find a relative far away put the kids on the flight to see granny or some other sucker for 2 weeks. You and the wife stay home in peace a quiet...

Balogny Tits

It's not that were better, were just less worse
May 26, 2005
Canada
Leave the wife, sell the tickets, buy sex!

Problem solved

JimsInfectedEye

That's very hurtful, sir.
May 21, 2005
Philadelphia
It is not the actual flight it is more the anxiety knowing that I will be flying.

Not sure what the fucking deal is.
I'm not sure I'm getting where you're coming from. Initially you say you're not wired to fly, but then you say its not the actual flight, its the anticipation of flying.

In any case, it sounds like you have a horrible case of anticipation anxiety. I get this ALL THE TIME when going somewhere. But I've been through it enough times to realize that its all bullshit in my mind, the actual trip is fine and I wind up enjoying myself wherever I am.

As for the wife, personally speaking, I think she could be a little more sympathetic towards your flying issues. Its a very common fear. I've never flown, and my wife accepts it....I'm getting closer to flying and one of these days I'll finally do it.

What about spending a long weekend in the Poconos or something? Its close, great scenery in the winter, lots to do...

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
I'm not sure I'm getting where you're coming from. Initially you say you're not wired to fly, but then you say its not the actual flight, its the anticipation of flying.

In any case, it sounds like you have a horrible case of anticipation anxiety. I get this ALL THE TIME when going somewhere. But I've been through it enough times to realize that its all bullshit in my mind, the actual trip is fine and I wind up enjoying myself wherever I am.

As for the wife, personally speaking, I think she could be a little more sympathetic towards your flying issues. Its a very common fear. I've never flown, and my wife accepts it....I'm getting closer to flying and one of these days I'll finally do it.

What about spending a long weekend in the Poconos or something? Its close, great scenery in the winter, lots to do...
The idea is they've got FREE airline tickets and she wants to go somewhere with these FREE airline tickets.

He used to fly all the time, but now he's got anxieties about flying & even though he says no, I'm sure it has more to do with terrorists than he's willing to let on. My sister is the same way...but she goes to the doctor and gets the lowest dose of Xanax and she's fine. My father's friend is the same way - he'll take a Xanax, has a few drinks at the airport and then sleeps the entire flight to Vegas or wherever they're going. Not recommending that he drink with Xanax but the point is, there are ways of addressing the fears.

The kids will be fine. I'm sure they're not going to be left with strangers & he can't keep thinking 'what if' unless he's including the 'what if nothing happens' scenario. There is less than a 1% chance of something happening while he's away.

The Poconos is another one of those things that they can do anytime - like going to Manhattan. Personally, I think he's being selfish. She wants & deserves the time away from her children with just her husband.

norton23

Opie And Anthony Always Win In The End
Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
Sounds like you need to take the vacation. You are apprehensive because, correct me if i'm wrong, but you may be the type that has everyting in order? Everyday you go to work, kids go to school, or however old they are they have there set schedule. You have dinner the same time each night, etc.

These tickets being won is god saying, "here, go to it." I think you should take a trip to the Bahamas with your wife for a long weekend. Fuck the bills, leave the kids home or at a relitives house, they will have a great expierence and a nice, "break from the norm," and you and you wife will have the time of your lives. Make this long weekend away something you can both remeber forever. Once you land in paradise all you worries will seem distant, go for it man! The big guy upstairs just smacked you in the head with those tickets for a reason,,,think about it.

Enjoy :)

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
[yt]kY44AgrZaGM[/yt]

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Ok someone set up a paypal account and let's send them all to Disney World.