I want to buy a revolver

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
I want to buy a revolver but I am a complete retard over what is good and bad.

I have a shitload of 45acp so I want to be able to use some of the same components. I understand the .451 and .452 can be used in the 45colt. So I'd like to get one in that caliber. I'd like it, if there was a modern 45colt that could take 45acp with clips.

I see the River Redhawk can do it but I don't know much about them.

Should I get that one or is there a better one? The S&W Governor can do it but it has a shorter barrel than I want. I was looking for at least a 4" barrel so it had some accuracy at distance.

I just want a revolver as a back up weapon I can put in the car or take out with me on camping trips where I don't have to worry about jams. Get down to basics.

Uncle Earl

Blue collar avenger
Be careful with big bullets and short barrels; the shorter the barrel, the more recoil.

Also, feel it around the handle and trigger guard. You don't want it too close because it's going to snap and Sting the shit out of your middle finger. My buddy has a .357 snub he let me try out. Not a fan at all.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Revolvers have clips?
I was going to buy a Judge just for the cool looking factor.. Went and fired one...killed that desire real quick.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Yea, when you load rimless ammo into a revolver designed for rimmed ammo, you need a clip to hold the ammo together.

The Judge and The Governor are both fairly short barreled.

I'd like something around 6" but I don't see many options and may have to settle with less.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Moon clips hold the cartridges together in the magazine. Speed loaders release them into the magazine.
well color me stupid never saw them before.

The type/size of the round it uses is a very poor deciding criteria for the weapon you chose.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
I have a ton of 45acp and bullets/casts for even more. If I get 357, I'd have to spend a ton on ammo to get comfortable with it. 45 colt seems to be pretty decent across the loadable range. If loaded hot it can match the 44 magnum.

I was thinking the 357 for a bit but I don't want to spend hundreds on getting my stock to a comfortable level.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Get a nice Smith and Wesson Model 25-2 in 45 ACP and a bunch of half moon and full moon clips. Or go back a little farther and find a Model 1950 Target. Or do what I did and get a Colt 1917. It will be 100 soon, I got it before it's 70th birthday. I make some great snake shotshells that are cylinder length and take all the fight out of big rattlers.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Get a nice Smith and Wesson Model 25-2 in 45 ACP and a bunch of half moon and full moon clips. Or go back a little farther and find a Model 1950 Target. Or do what I did and get a Colt 1917. It will be 100 soon, I got it before it's 70th birthday. I make some great snake shotshells that are cylinder length and take all the fight out of big rattlers.
The 1950 looks to be 2200+ dollars. I was looking for less than 1200, if possible.

gleet

The 1950 looks to be 2200+ dollars. I was looking for less than 1200, if possible.
Try checking out gun shows and farm auctions. In the 1980s.

gleet

I saw some used 25-2s for under 1k.
That would be a good price and a great resolver. I like the 45 ACP wheelguns although I also have 45 Colts. You don't get a faster reload than a full moon clip with FMJ bullets. SWC can hang up. Here's a guy who is almost as fast as I am.

gleet

If you dehorn the hammer so there are no sharp edges and corners, it will hurt a lot less when the doctor pulls it back out of your ass.

maz

TRueWDTer
If you dehorn the hammer so there are no sharp edges and corners, it will hurt a lot less when the doctor pulls it back out of your ass.
Would you allow me to shoot you with one ?