I WILL NOT Take My Confederate Flag DOWN!!!

mr. sin

Mar 30, 2005
RALEIGH, NC
http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-709533?hpt=hp_bn2

"Report — My college has forced me to take my confederate Flag down becuase they said I am violating a "Racism Code". They can't do that to me because it is a public college and i have my right to freedom of speech. The Sons of Confederate Veterans are on my side and i have an attoney. If they housing department does not allow me to put it back up, after the letter has been sent. Then a HUGE LAWSUIT will take place, becuase the university is violating my right of Freedom of Speech. I'm Black NOT African American and I Dont see the Confederate Flag as a RACIST SYMBOL!!!"

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
The South's Gonna Do It Again!

-Charlie Daniels

Again? They never "did it" the first time.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Of course an institute of higher learning is incapable of understanding the C.S.A. and their flag beyond calling it racist.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
If it was inside the room, that's one thing. But it's on display in the window. And it's a college dorm - not your house. As long as the college owns the building, it's their right to decide what can be displayed on the outside of it.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
If it was inside the room, that's one thing. But it's on display in the window. And it's a college dorm - not your house. As long as the college owns the building, it's their right to decide what can be displayed on the outside of it.
Colleges don't make decisions. People do. So, after we hopefully agree that "the college" doesn't decide, the question remains: who gets to decide what is and what isn't allowed in the window of a government funded college dorm? Judges? Politicians? Teachers? Student associations? Individual students who live in the dorm?

And should there be some objective rules, or should decisions be left to someone's whim?

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
My problem is with calling it racist. Absent of any other context, the flag is not a racist symbol, so that reasoning to have it removed is bullshit. If they have a policy of not displaying any flags in dorm windows, fine. If not, there is no reason to single this flag out, even if it is (unreasonably) offending people. Perhaps being a college offers the opportunity to educate those who claim to be offended to the history and full meaning of the flag. Or tell them to stop being whiny cunts and ignore the fucking thing.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
My problem is with calling it racist. Absent of any other context, the flag is not a racist symbol, so that reasoning to have it removed is bullshit. If they have a policy of not displaying any flags in dorm windows, fine. If not, there is no reason to single this flag out, even if it is (unreasonably) offending people. Perhaps being a college offers the opportunity to educate those who claim to be offended to the history and full meaning of the flag. Or tell them to stop being whiny cunts and ignore the fucking thing.
I agree that the flag itself is not racist, however it is frequently used as a racist symbol. I would bet 99% of the rednecks that fly one don't know shit about state's rights issues, or even what a confederate form of government is. Think about the swastika, most if not all of the people who display it use it as a racist or hateful symbol. A swastika in and of itself is not racist or hateful. Hell maybe they just think it looks snazzy, but almost everyone knows the intent behind displaying it.

JonBenetRamsey

well shit the bed
Aug 30, 2005
woodland critter christmas park nj
I agree that the flag itself is not racist, however it is frequently used as a racist symbol. I would bet 99% of the rednecks that fly one don't know shit about state's rights issues, or even what a confederate form of government is. Think about the swastika, most if not all of the people who display it use it as a racist or hateful symbol. A swastika in and of itself is not racist or hateful. Hell maybe they just think it looks snazzy, but almost everyone knows the intent behind displaying it.
this.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Blue and red clothes are frequently used to represent gang membership... however that's not their only value. I would also argue that most of the people that display the confederate flag do so to represent a) the south or b) the rights of sovereign states. I really don't think racism drives it most of the time... in this case especially that's highly unlikely seeing as though the student was black.

Again, maybe the college should use this as a teaching tool... too many morons in this country actually think the civil war was only about ending slavery. Hell, the North came out on the moral side of the fight, but that doesn't mean they reached that position using morality. Ending slavery was mainly an economic tool to control the South, since they benefited much more from it. On a political level you can look at the C.S.A. and see that their fears were at least partially justified, considering we are now closer to the UK system of government than the freer one we wanted to create.

It comes down to one main point. They cannot assume context for a symbol that has multiple popular meanings, thus banning this flag is only justified if all flags are banned (perhaps with the exception of the US flag), or you are threatening freedom of speech.

bedhumper

Oct 9, 2011
The swastika was started and is still considered a symbol of peace for millions of people in Asia. The crimes of Nazi Germany are vastly more reprehensible than those of the South. And does this campus have a problem with people flying the hammer and sickle, which represents 10 times the amount of death that occurred in Nazi Germany, let alone the South?

DJ Evel Ed

MayYourCumCrustedCocksBeConstantlyCoveredInCunt
Nov 30, 2003
Up your ass!
Why not remove or add one of the stars so it's not officially a Confederate Flag? Would that work?

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Blue and red clothes are frequently used to represent gang membership... however that's not their only value. I would also argue that most of the people that display the confederate flag do so to represent a) the south or b) the rights of sovereign states.
I love the Confederate flag. It looks cool, represents rebellion, and, in my opinion, is way more aesthetically pleasing than the American flag.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I drove down Crenshaw Ave in LA with a Confederate Flag on my truck. Brool Story Co.

Ihateinternmatt

Nov 7, 2011
The colleges are ran by the same politicaly correct liberal fucks, fuck them I would make them kick me out and sue the dipshits. I dont like rainbow flags, obama signs or union signs at colleges and they are all displayed there, but no one can get those removed. There is no difference not everyone is gonna like everything they see its becoming such a pussy nation. I hope his flag stays up.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
The colleges are ran by the same politicaly correct liberal fucks, fuck them I would make them kick me out and sue the dipshits. I dont like rainbow flags, obama signs or union signs at colleges and they are all displayed there, but no one can get those removed. There is no difference not everyone is gonna like everything they see its becoming such a pussy nation. I hope his flag stays up.
It won't stay up. Like it or not, they call the shots and
it'll never fly at a college these days.

Why not remove or add one of the stars so it's not officially a Confederate Flag? Would that work?
Not a chance.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
Rainbow flags, Obama signs, and union signs weren't flown as a representation of a region where an entire race of people where enslaved, lynched, and murdered, stupid.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Rainbow flags, Obama signs, and union signs weren't flown as a representation of a region where an entire race of people where enslaved, lynched, and murdered, stupid.
It represented the region, not the act. There were plenty of slave owners in the North, decades after flying the first American flag.

Again, you're assuming context. I doubt racism against blacks is the motivation behind a black college student displaying the flag. Either we ban all flags in dorm room windows, or allow all of them. The college can absolutely do either, but they're in the wrong if they're censoring certain flags because they don't agree with them, while allowing others.

Or again, open a dialogue. We're looking like Germany when we try to censor and hide our past.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
It represented the region, not the act. There were plenty of slave owners in the North, decades after flying the first American flag.

Again, you're assuming context. I doubt racism against blacks is the motivation behind a black college student displaying the flag. Either we ban all flags in dorm room windows, or allow all of them. The college can absolutely do either, but they're in the wrong if they're censoring certain flags because they don't agree with them, while allowing others.

Or again, open a dialogue. We're looking like Germany when we try to censor and hide our past.
I know all that, I just didn't feel like typing it. It isn't really about what the college necessarily agrees with or not, it is most likely about how students find it disruptive or offensive. It doesn't have to actually be racist, but if a shitload of students find it offensive then I think they have a pretty good excuse for asking him to take it down. Do you think everyone who sees a Confederate flag pasted in a window knows (or cares) that the room belongs to a black kid? What if he had the word "N!GGER" written on the window? Would it be okay because it is a black kid's room? Would passers-by be any less offended?