Ibanez RG2228....8 String metal monster

ratedRsuperstar

...when McCainia runs wild on you!!!!
http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=RG2228

it will be mine. oh yes. it will be mine.

i'm currently trying to convince my girlfriend (who until these negotiations was refered to here as "cunt" ,but, for the time being and the sake of my request, will not be called such)to get this for my birfday in september.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
I'm not musical at all. Never heard of an 8-string guitar. Good luck bro.

Joe Avezzano

Jul 9, 2006
It will serve you well on your voyage back to 1998 when join Wes Borland and Munky on the Family Values Tour.

ratedRsuperstar

It will serve you well on your voyage back to 1998 when join Wes Borland and Munky on the Family Values Tour.
nnnnno.

borland, munky and head played sevens. borland's was tuned to a low C# as opposed to B and had two high strings, both tuned to high C#. korn uses sevens tuned down to A.

I have a couple of sevens, one tuned standard to low B, the other tuned down a fourth (F#, B, E, A, D, F#, B).

I started playing a seven for the chunk that Fear Factory produced, but when I heard vai and petrucci used a seven more melodically, i really appreciated the low B. The only group I know that currently uses 8's are Meshuggah.

trust me, if I had cumia money, i would be going for a Conklin 9 string with fanned frets

Joe Avezzano

Jul 9, 2006
Yes, I know all this. I was just making a wisecrack and didn't think you were going to play the part of Leonard Literal. But, if you think you can use all those strings... God Bless!

ratedRsuperstar

Yes, I know all this. I was just making a wisecrack and didn't think you were going to play the part of Leonard Literal. But, if you think you can use all those strings... God Bless!
yeah, i'm a douche.:action-sm but i was also clarifying i'm not a nu-metal faggot or a trendy person. i'm a musician and love the idea of expanding the range of the guitar without ridiculously priced custom pieces or digitized-sounding effects.

now got to look into an amp and/or that could handle it at a loud volume. i'm thinking a randall cab with two 15's with my four-12 cab and a crossover set for the low F# and low B. currently a B sounds good through my amp(120w solid state 2-12 head with a 4-12 cab) at any tolerable volume, but the F# is muddy. the F# sounds good through my bass amp (it's a 100w with a 15) but the highs would blow the speaker. anyone have a suggestion?

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
nnnnno.

borland, munky and head played sevens. borland's was tuned to a low C# as opposed to B and had two high strings, both tuned to high C#. korn uses sevens tuned down to A.

didnt borland play a 5 string guitar that he custom built himself? i know fieldy plays a 5 string bass, but wes eventually went to a 5 string guitar, right?

BCH

Doesn't need your acknowledgement on Twitter
Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
Meh, it's still going to play like an Ibanez. Save your money and buy a PRS when you can afford one. You'll always be happy with it. Not like this 8 stringed white elephant.

Also, will this thing re-sell? Truthfully, there's not much call for 8 stringed guitars and the phase is sure to pass with metal players as well. When you "grow out" of the need for an 8 string guitar, then what?

That's what I'm getting at I guess. A PRS custom 24 will play better than any Ibanez they ever made, they sound like everything you want them to sound like from a Telecaster to a Hot-Wired Les Paul, and you can always use it and its value will never go down really.

If you must get it, your idea with the amp is a good one, I'd go 2 15s and 4 10s but either way...

FMDoug

Nov 29, 2005
Meh, it's still going to play like an Ibanez.
Now that's funny.

Buy this one and get a pickup in it. http://www.acousticguitarworkshop.com/artists/szabo.htm then plug it into a marshall amp. Now that would be cool.

I understand the 12 string because its almost like playing piano. But why do people play 7 or 8 strings? Is it the lack of a bass player?
Just get a nice six string and a good bass player. I'll stick to my American Telecaster and octave/whammy pedal. I get incredible sounds out of it and I can play bass or solo over anything. It was my best pedal investment.

BCH

Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
Now that's funny.
Sorry I just don't find them to be as nice as a PRS or a nice Fender Re-Issue or ::gasp:: a nice vintage gibson...

Joe Avezzano

Jul 9, 2006
yeah, i'm a douche.:action-sm but i was also clarifying i'm not a nu-metal faggot or a trendy person. i'm a musician and love the idea of expanding the range of the guitar without ridiculously priced custom pieces or digitized-sounding effects.
Just breaking your balls. I remember back in 98 or 99 when those bands came out, everyone had to have a 7-string, but they didn't know why. My friend bought one and soon found out that unless you were (back then) a nu-metal faggot or Steve Vai, you didn't need the seventh string to play 99% of the music out there.

I just think it's a strange choice of guitar, and like the other guys said a good quality tried-and-true Gibson or PRS would serve most guitarist's needs. But if you think you can utilize a 8-string, why not?

Post some youtube of it in action when/if you get it...

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
I'm sure I'll get shit for this, but I love my Epi Les Paul. I dropped out the bridge pickup for a Duncan Invader so there's something resembling sustain and a better tone. It works for what I'm doing (nin-ish rhythm, riffs, etc) and cheap enough that it won't kill me if I get pissed with it and decide to go smashy smashy(broken strings on stage really piss me off. Drop kicked my guitar off my straps(clip locks) at my last show due to that).
I'm really not a lead player either, so I can't justify the money for a PRS anyway.

And RatedR, it's nice to know that you're rounded and not limited to good racist humor. :D

ratedRsuperstar

didnt borland play a 5 string guitar that he custom built himself? i know fieldy plays a 5 string bass, but wes eventually went to a 5 string guitar, right?
wes had what was essentially an electric, detuned banjo tuned low G#, G#(1 oct up), C#, F#, B. the only song I know he used it on was "nookie" the only reason i remember that (if i'm right) is from a guitar world article from back then and i'm like fuckin rainman with useless, trivial knowledge.

Meh, it's still going to play like an Ibanez. Save your money and buy a PRS when you can afford one. You'll always be happy with it. Not like this 8 stringed white elephant.

Also, will this thing re-sell? Truthfully, there's not much call for 8 stringed guitars and the phase is sure to pass with metal players as well. When you "grow out" of the need for an 8 string guitar, then what?

That's what I'm getting at I guess. A PRS custom 24 will play better than any Ibanez they ever made, they sound like everything you want them to sound like from a Telecaster to a Hot-Wired Les Paul, and you can always use it and its value will never go down really.

If you must get it, your idea with the amp is a good one, I'd go 2 15s and 4 10s but either way...
i have two ibanez 7's and an ibanez 6 string bass. all of which are stock and don't play/sound bad at all. true the 7's aren't my best sounding but are ok. i wouldn't mind dropping in some dimarzios (d-sonic especially in the bridge) but they work when i need them.

i'm not worried about resale value. the last guitars i sold were a 95 american strat , 98 cort active 5 string bass, and peavey 4 string p-bass knock-off (to pay off the IRS because they payroll lady at work then was a dumb cunt) and i have regretted it everyday. i have vowed that no matter how down on my luck i was, i would NEVER sell any again, unless, god forbid, my daughter was really ill or something.

as for the prs, my great uncle (RIP) had a mccarty that was fucking sweet along with an american strat, american tele, buck owens tele and taylor jumbo acoustic. he told me when he was dying i could have them but he died and his shitty whore of a daughter fuckin hocked them to buy her loser 50 year old delivery boy fiance a used 1986 mazda truck, only for him to drop dead a month later. but i can't afford a "good" prs. though, for some reason it keeps coming back to him, there is a wes borland prs custom 7 string on ebay for like 10 grand.(maybe 25??)

as for the "phase" i'm not strictly a metal player. i like playing it, but i also play prog, blues, rock, and some jazz (i learned theory and sight reading and ear training in a jazz band class in high school). i do like it for a "novelty" thing, but the extra range, scale and chord possibilites, and of course low end chunk are pretty good selling points.

Now that's funny.

Buy this one and get a pickup in it. http://www.acousticguitarworkshop.com/artists/szabo.htm then plug it into a marshall amp. Now that would be cool.

I understand the 12 string because its almost like playing piano. But why do people play 7 or 8 strings? Is it the lack of a bass player?
Just get a nice six string and a good bass player. I'll stick to my American Telecaster and octave/whammy pedal. I get incredible sounds out of it and I can play bass or solo over anything. It was my best pedal investment.
i too have a digitech whammy, which is fine for some 2 oct up squeals like dimebag or playing rage's version of "street fighting man". let me put it this way: set it for one oct down and hit an F# power chord on your low E. it sounds all synthesized. but, a heavy gauge string tunned to a low F# will resonate (same pitch as a bass, E string 2nd fret) but with a smaller gauge and shorter scale will have more treble to it.

as for "why people play sevens" listen to steve vai's "bad horsie" and dream theater's "the glass prison", "this dying soul" and "the dark eternal night" to hear a seven sing as opposed to palm-muted chuga-chugas

I'm sure I'll get shit for this, but I love my Epi Les Paul. I dropped out the bridge pickup for a Duncan Invader so there's something resembling sustain and a better tone. It works for what I'm doing (nin-ish rhythm, riffs, etc) and cheap enough that it won't kill me if I get pissed with it and decide to go smashy smashy(broken strings on stage really piss me off. Drop kicked my guitar off my straps(clip locks) at my last show due to that).
I'm really not a lead player either, so I can't justify the money for a PRS anyway.

And RatedR, it's nice to know that you're rounded and not limited to good racist humor. :D
i have a 99 epi LP standard. it's ok. i dropped in a zaak wylde set of active emg's and it just didn't sound right so i put the stock p/u's back in and reversed the bridge and it sounds pretty good. the neck is kind of muddy and the toggle and input jack need a little soldering. also the tuners are fucking awful, as are most gibson/epi standard tuning keys.

i have the 3 zakk wylde epi LP's with the emg-hz's and the are sweet. the black and white sounds the best. the camo has the fastest neck and good bridge tone. the buzzsaw has a really warm sound on the neck but the bridge sounds a little weaker than the other 2 guitars.

i see it like this. epis and gibsons are made by the same parent company as are chevys and caddys. why would i buy an escalade when the tahoe is the same car, only with a few less features and luxury. it still works the same only one has more of a "prestigious" name

and yeah, i'm a one-trick pony when it comes to my hacky pseudo-racist humor, but i'm more diverse than i let on.

i'm a collector as well so an 8 would be nice to add. so far i have:

the 3 zakk epi LPs
stevie ray strat
white pinstriped jackson rhoads
black el cheapo jackson rhoads
black washburn dimebag
trans black, flamed top epi LP
natural ibanez RG7
trans red ibanez RG7
dean acoustic/electric w/ cutaway
alvarez 12 string acoustic
fender el cheapo acoustic (got it free with the SRV strat)

amps:
crate 2x12 120w combo
crate 4x12 straight cab
fender bass amp 100 1x15
crate 50w 1x12 acoustic amp

pedals:
digitech whammy
crybaby from hell
rotovibe
boss metal zone
digitech rp50 (mainly used with the dry signal from the whammy as a on-the-spot tuner
digitech bp50 (same as the rp but for the bass)

poopiebottoms

Sparkling Wiggles Lover
Aug 23, 2002
1989 - Baba Booey!
I've played for 24 years, and don't see the need for 8-strings. It just seems gimicky. It really only can do one thing different, play really low notes. It's like the cowbell of guitars.

The best guitar I own I designed and built for myself. It has and does everything I could ever possibly want in a guitar. Though admittedly, it only has six strings.

ratedRsuperstar

I've played for 24 years, and don't see the need for 8-strings. It just seems gimicky. It really only can do one thing different, play really low notes. It's like the cowbell of guitars.

The best guitar I own I designed and built for myself. It has and does everything I could ever possibly want in a guitar. Though admittedly, it only has six strings.

i like it because of the the darker sound i get on the higher frets ala tony iommi. he played a lot of licks on the lower strings at a higher fret for the "dark" sound. that and i think because of those creepy vos fingers. with the neck p/u on it sounds nice for my style

i've wanted to try building one myself, but have no idea where to start. did you piece it together from others, buy parts from warmoth(or similar site), or craft the neck and body from lumber?

i wanted to make a warmoth guitar, either a rhoads polka dot v or a knock off of the new zakk gibson v. both of with would cost around $1200 by my estimates. with the zakk i figure i'll be better off waiting to see if there's an epi version next year. the rhoads (like the 2 zakk have) were made as replicas of the original and manufactured and sold by a company in vegas for around 3 grand a piece.

also i SUCK at painting them. every attempt has met disaster. i've had more success brushing on stain and polyurethane. the douche at the airbrush place in the mall told me he could do solid color for 500 and designs for 1000, both with car paint. or he could use latex for 300.

BCH

Wackbag Staff
Jun 9, 2005
New York
Come on, you know you want me...

Sell some of those other guitars and buy me.

Look at my Bird inlays!

That black thing could have 13 strings and it still wouldn't be as good.

poopiebottoms

Sparkling Wiggles Lover
Aug 23, 2002
1989 - Baba Booey!
i like it because of the the darker sound i get on the higher frets ala tony iommi. he played a lot of licks on the lower strings at a higher fret for the "dark" sound. that and i think because of those creepy vos fingers. with the neck p/u on it sounds nice for my style

i've wanted to try building one myself, but have no idea where to start. did you piece it together from others, buy parts from warmoth(or similar site), or craft the neck and body from lumber?
I think Iommi tuned down a whole step too. That's cool. I'm not bashing you for wanting it. You could definitely do a lot of really creative stuff with it.

I bought the body and neck from Warmoth. Initially, I had wanted to build it from lumber, but finding quality wood with good tonal properties is tough.

The body was basically a finished piece of wood with the pickup and electronics cavities routed out. I had to drill for the controls and switches. It's mainly mahogany, with a grainy rosewood face, with a thin layer of maple wedged between them for an accent. It's finished with a gloss.

The neck came pretty much complete, except without a nut or tuners. I had to buy and custom cut the nut to fit the bridge. I used a tempered-tuning nut made by a company called Earvana. The neck shape is the same as a Clapton-strat, the hard-V of the late 50's strats. It's maple with an ebony fretboard. The frets are stainless steel, to resist wear from bending, and tall. The radius is a compound radius, like the PRS guitars have. The fingerboard is rounder at the lower frets for chording, and flatter at the higher frets for soloing. It has a bi-flex truss rod, so the neck is really stable, and rarely needs adjustment.

All of the hardware (bridge, tailpiece, pickup rings, knobs, tuners) are chrome. I had to make a few modifications to the warmoth stuff to make things fit. I custom made a truss rod cover out of an old pickguard with a dremel.

The pickups are 3 humbuckers, made by a company called Rio Grande pickups. Most humbuckers are half height coils with a large magnet. These however, are true single coil pickups, wound together. As a humbucker they sound a bit richer, but split into single-coils, they sound exactly like a strat. The neck and middle humbuckers are called Vintage Tallboys, and the bridge is called a Muy Grande. It's wrapped like the tallboys, but with larger magnetic poles for more punch.

I designed my own switching system. Without getting into too much detail about it, I can essentially get Les Paul, Strat and Tele tones easily. I also can get great jazz and metal type tones. Additionally, there are a few unique and desirable tones that it has as well.

My goal was to have a solid, playable guitar that was versatile enough that it was all I needed for any playing situation. I play with various people, mainly for fun, with styles as diverse as Sabbath, AC/DC, Buddy Guy, Miles Davis and Willie Nelson. I still love all of my strats, but this guitar is really all that I use.

ratedRsuperstar

The neck came pretty much complete, except without a nut or tuners. I had to buy and custom cut the nut to fit the bridge. I used a tempered-tuning nut made by a company called Earvana. The neck shape is the same as a Clapton-strat, the hard-V of the late 50's strats. It's maple with an ebony fretboard. The frets are stainless steel, to resist wear from bending, and tall. The radius is a compound radius, like the PRS guitars have. The fingerboard is rounder at the lower frets for chording, and flatter at the higher frets for soloing. It has a bi-flex truss rod, so the neck is really stable, and rarely needs adjustment.
THAT is attention to detail.

i've wanted to at least play an yngwie strat to see how a scallopped fretboard felt/sounded.

any chance of posting a pic of your fiddle? it sound pretty fuckin sweet.

Slow Bollards

Bollards...sounds a bit rude, doesn't it?
Apr 28, 2005
SILLY-delphia!
wes had what was essentially an electric, detuned banjo tuned low G#, G#(1 oct up), C#, F#, B. the only song I know he used it on was "nookie" the only reason i remember that (if i'm right) is from a guitar world article from back then and i'm like fuckin rainman with useless, trivial knowledge.

i have two ibanez 7's and an ibanez 6 string bass. all of which are stock and don't play/sound bad at all. true the 7's aren't my best sounding but are ok. i wouldn't mind dropping in some dimarzios (d-sonic especially in the bridge) but they work when i need them.

i'm not worried about resale value. the last guitars i sold were a 95 american strat , 98 cort active 5 string bass, and peavey 4 string p-bass knock-off (to pay off the IRS because they payroll lady at work then was a dumb cunt) and i have regretted it everyday. i have vowed that no matter how down on my luck i was, i would NEVER sell any again, unless, god forbid, my daughter was really ill or something.

as for the prs, my great uncle (RIP) had a mccarty that was fucking sweet along with an american strat, american tele, buck owens tele and taylor jumbo acoustic. he told me when he was dying i could have them but he died and his shitty whore of a daughter fuckin hocked them to buy her loser 50 year old delivery boy fiance a used 1986 mazda truck, only for him to drop dead a month later. but i can't afford a "good" prs. though, for some reason it keeps coming back to him, there is a wes borland prs custom 7 string on ebay for like 10 grand.(maybe 25??)

as for the "phase" i'm not strictly a metal player. i like playing it, but i also play prog, blues, rock, and some jazz (i learned theory and sight reading and ear training in a jazz band class in high school). i do like it for a "novelty" thing, but the extra range, scale and chord possibilites, and of course low end chunk are pretty good selling points.

i too have a digitech whammy, which is fine for some 2 oct up squeals like dimebag or playing rage's version of "street fighting man". let me put it this way: set it for one oct down and hit an F# power chord on your low E. it sounds all synthesized. but, a heavy gauge string tunned to a low F# will resonate (same pitch as a bass, E string 2nd fret) but with a smaller gauge and shorter scale will have more treble to it.

as for "why people play sevens" listen to steve vai's "bad horsie" and dream theater's "the glass prison", "this dying soul" and "the dark eternal night" to hear a seven sing as opposed to palm-muted chuga-chugas

i have a 99 epi LP standard. it's ok. i dropped in a zaak wylde set of active emg's and it just didn't sound right so i put the stock p/u's back in and reversed the bridge and it sounds pretty good. the neck is kind of muddy and the toggle and input jack need a little soldering. also the tuners are fucking awful, as are most gibson/epi standard tuning keys.

i have the 3 zakk wylde epi LP's with the emg-hz's and the are sweet. the black and white sounds the best. the camo has the fastest neck and good bridge tone. the buzzsaw has a really warm sound on the neck but the bridge sounds a little weaker than the other 2 guitars.

i see it like this. epis and gibsons are made by the same parent company as are chevys and caddys. why would i buy an escalade when the tahoe is the same car, only with a few less features and luxury. it still works the same only one has more of a "prestigious" name

and yeah, i'm a one-trick pony when it comes to my hacky pseudo-racist humor, but i'm more diverse than i let on.

i'm a collector as well so an 8 would be nice to add. so far i have:

the 3 zakk epi LPs
stevie ray strat
white pinstriped jackson rhoads
black el cheapo jackson rhoads
black washburn dimebag
trans black, flamed top epi LP
natural ibanez RG7
trans red ibanez RG7
dean acoustic/electric w/ cutaway
alvarez 12 string acoustic
fender el cheapo acoustic (got it free with the SRV strat)

amps:
crate 2x12 120w combo
crate 4x12 straight cab
fender bass amp 100 1x15
crate 50w 1x12 acoustic amp

pedals:
digitech whammy
crybaby from hell
rotovibe
boss metal zone
digitech rp50 (mainly used with the dry signal from the whammy as a on-the-spot tuner
digitech bp50 (same as the rp but for the bass)
I used to work in a music store. This thread reminds me how fucking annoying musicians can be. I met some really cool people, and i'm not shitting on the people here that are well and truly passionate about their craft and equipment. It just seemed to me that most gear-heads I encountered were pretentious douches with a head full of manufacturer part numbers and stupid ambiguous buzzwords with very little know-how and talen t to back it up. ("I'm trying to get a waxy distortion, mannn, but my GFT629 only has phasing on the active channel.) Die. Then they'd bring in their demo and they invariably had no idea how to use the stuff they just invested good money into.

The only thing worse are the 13 year old faggots who want to play the $2500. LesPaul and you catch them using a fucking quarter as a pick. Goddamn do I not miss that gaping cunt of a job.

For the record, I'm at less than a marginally intermediate level with my guitar playing and my rant about gear-heads is derived from my own ineptitudes, no offense to anyone here.:) I really did hate that job though.

If you live in the greater philadelphia area or parts of Florida PLEASE do no patronize George's Music. They treat and pay their employees like shit, and George has the personality of a stillborn.

edit: I will defend Ibanez's though. My Artcore semi-hollow is the shit.

Joe Avezzano

Jul 9, 2006
I had an Ibanez Jem (6 string) and I thought it was pretty easy to play and sound good, but I'm no professional.

Someone said Epiphone Les Paul eh...? I was looking to buy a dirt cheap guitar (under 300 bucks) that isn't a total piece of shit. Are they decent for the casual player?

ratedRsuperstar

Someone said Epiphone Les Paul eh...? I was looking to buy a dirt cheap guitar (under 300 bucks) that isn't a total piece of shit. Are they decent for the casual player?
my standard sounds ok at best. some new electronics and tuning keys (stock ones SUCK) may make it nice, but why not step up to a better quality guitar.

my zakks sound good because of the emg's, and are sportin some grovers.

i've seen some affordable epi lp's that look like they have potential.

as for bollards' post, i'm not one of "those people" by any means. i was just speaking about what i know or think. i love to play every chance i get. i don't want or need a massive pedal board full of shit i may step on for 4 measures and never again until i play that song again. gain on 10, that's it. the only time i try to get a certain tone is for the strat because it's only used for blues and some classic rock. other than that i don't need a "sound". when playing someone else's song, of course i'll try to get as close to their sound as possible without the need for 15 pedals.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
I had an Ibanez Jem (6 string) and I thought it was pretty easy to play and sound good, but I'm no professional.

That'd have been me. I really like it, though the stock pickups are pretty crappy. I only use the bridge, so I dropped a Duncan Invader in there to make the sound a bit better. It works for what my needs are and I've not had any problems.

Have to say that I hate Strats though. But I think that's more because of what/how I play and the kind of sound I like.

Slow Bollards

Bollards...sounds a bit rude, doesn't it?
Apr 28, 2005
SILLY-delphia!
my standard sounds ok at best. some new electronics and tuning keys (stock ones SUCK) may make it nice, but why not step up to a better quality guitar.

my zakks sound good because of the emg's, and are sportin some grovers.

i've seen some affordable epi lp's that look like they have potential.

as for bollards' post, i'm not one of "those people" by any means. i was just speaking about what i know or think. i love to play every chance i get. i don't want or need a massive pedal board full of shit i may step on for 4 measures and never again until i play that song again. gain on 10, that's it. the only time i try to get a certain tone is for the strat because it's only used for blues and some classic rock. other than that i don't need a "sound". when playing someone else's song, of course i'll try to get as close to their sound as possible without the need for 15 pedals.
As I said, it was apparent that you were passionate about your craft and I have nothing but respect for that, and I have some lifelong musician friends that i met at that job. I was just venting about a small segment of musicians that take themselves way too seriously. The musicians I met that were truly gifted were usually pretty down to earth. All the people I worked with noticed a direct proportion between abject douchery coupled with encyclopedic knowledge of gear and a hopeless lack of talent.

For instance: a guy who spent $30,000 (he said, our guess was 10K tops) on a guitar that was built for Trey from Phish (this was true, and it was nice, but not 30K nice) and had three road cases filled with vintage pedals but couldn't grasp the concept of 60 cycle hum. He wasted two hours setting this shit up to replicate the problem he was having in his 100+ year old home. But it was completely our fault that he was getting hum through his
'69 Fender amp there and not in our store. He deserved to have his cock smashed with that gorgeous guitar.

I wish you nothing but the best, my friend.:)

ratedRsuperstar

well after inquiring about this guitar at on of the few local music stores, actually one of the two that sell ibanez, a guy called me today with the news...

he said his ibanez rep called him today and said they were "severely back-ordered. the demand for the 8 string was much more than they had anticipated and the next available shipment after the back-orders are filled will be around november"

which is fine with me. i bought my camo zakk epi LP around june of last year and it didn't come in until november so i think i can wait for the 8.

just fyi, the rg2228 runs around $1500 and comes with:
hardshell case
care kit (polish, cloth, etc)
strap
extra set of strings (dimarzio i think he said, 10-72)

Joe Avezzano

Jul 9, 2006
Wait a minute, I just realized that we're talking about an 8 string, not a 7. How are you even going to get your fingers around it? You'd have to have Arsenio-style hands to play it.