Ice Road Truckers - June 17th

highway23

I miss NY wings
Anyone else impatient about this coming on the History Channel?

http://www.history.com/minisites/iceroadtruckers

This could be the only show that is parallel to Deadliest Catch. I can't fucking wait. (Trailer for the show on the site)

from http://www.movieweb.com/tv/news/16/20116.php

Starting on Sunday, June 17 from 10pm/9c, The History Channel will begin airing a new series called Ice Road Truckers. In what might either elevate or end reality TV, this has got to be one of the more dangerous shows. Following the truckers, the job breaks down as follows. We track 6 men Alex, Rick, Jay, Hugh, T.J. and Drew over two months as they take "vital" supplies over frozen lakes that also happen to be the only roads that can get them to their destination. So where are they going? The show takes place near the Arctic Circle and the trucking industry itself is located outside of Yellowknife in Canada's Northwest Territory. With the diamond industry bringing in $1.9 million dollars a year, they depend on these trucks to bring supplies for their mining purposes.

As I was watching this show my biggest thought is that its amazing what people are forced to do for money. While these gentlemen might be well compensated, it seems like a lot to ask considering that these guys are taking their lives in their hands every time they go to work. I mean, imagine working and knowing at any second you might have to abandon your truck because its sinking into the ice? Think about this, its tough enough to drive a truck in good weather conditions. Imagine driving them in conditions that are so adverse, you don't know from one day from the next at all what is going to happen.?Think about jackknifing your rig, or getting into some kind of accident, or even being backed up (which does happen on this show). This is nature we're talking about and there really isn't a way to control these elements at all. It does what it does and one has to be malleable to each and every situation. Just watching this show was nervewracking.

As I was watching this show, I began wondering what's next? Maybe they'll do a reality show on Americans working in Saudi Arabia or Iraq? I hear that those jobs pay really well. I don't mean to sound like a party pooper but imagine if this was your brother or father doing this kind of a job? Traveling over a desolate, 350 mile ice highway. I know that this job gives them quick money, they also give supplies to the diamond miners in the Canadian Tundra, but why do people have to risk their lives like this in order to provide a better life for their family? In some way this is necessary so I can't get on it too much, I guess I just wish we lived in a world where it didn't have to be. This isn't Fear Factor, where these people are eating disgusting things or doing stunts with machinery and people backing them up. These people are risking their lives with no net.

Ice Road Truckers airs on Sunday, June 17 from 10pm/9c on The History Channel.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
i want to see it, ive watched the modern marvels about it and a couple of other specials on discovery et all... its a job i think i might enjoy. even building the road or working in one of the truck stops i wish i had a more adventures spirit

I'll be watching this. The ice breaking under your wheels the whole time would be torture.

Lumpy76

I saw a show on this a couple years ago. It was awesome. They were told not to wear their seatbelts so they could bail out faster if the truck goes down.

Pussy faggots, try working on a computer all day. Now that's rough. I get calouses on my butt sometimes.

demonseed

Lingering since 1999
That is definetely something that is going into my DVR programming. Sounds really interesting

HerkyJerkyLiz

Posts below off topic.
i was just talking about this last night. cant wait. i wonder if they do just as much meth as regular truckers.

highway23

I miss NY wings
I don't know though...
these guys aren't just driving down a fucking highway with douche bags around them...

they're out there alone, and on one of the most dangerous jobs in the world.

How would getting high do anything for them? I think it would just make it impossible to do what they do. And, maybe because they are so fucking insane, their employers have drug tests?

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Alright, let me unzip...

THE FEZ MAN

I don't know though...
these guys aren't just driving down a fucking highway with douche bags around them...

they're out there alone, and on one of the most dangerous jobs in the world.

How would getting high do anything for them? I think it would just make it impossible to do what they do. And, maybe because they are so fucking insane, their employers have drug tests?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
These guys nucking futs. Jesus.

And i guess that answers the drug question. the first thing they did on the show was a drug test.

THE FEZ MAN

its the first thing they do almost any ware that requires you to hold a CDL

highway23

I miss NY wings
didn't know that

good to know

I saw a WOW written on a rig yesterday, it was right before my exit. I asked my wife if she wanted to flash the guy....but she said no :(

Good first episode, but I was hoping they would show someone falling through to really rope us in for the whole season!

They did show some fake Sci-Fi channel quality CG of a truck going through.

Good topic, but I'm a bit out on the delivery. Looked amazing on modern marvels and it's obvious they took the Deadliest Catch formula, but it doesn't seem done as well. I'll keep an open mind for a few episodes, as the first one they had to introduce the missions and the characters.

They did show some fake Sci-Fi channel quality CG of a truck going through.

Good topic, but I'm a bit out on the delivery. Looked amazing on modern marvels and it's obvious they took the Deadliest Catch formula, but it doesn't seem done as well. I'll keep an open mind for a few episodes, as the first one they had to introduce the missions and the characters.
Deadliest catch has improved drastically versus the first season, more cameras, more angles, better production, etc... although I'm not sure if I see this being a multi-season type of show... how many hours can you spend watching someone drive a truck?

They better deliver some carnage.

My ass these guys aren't on meth. They can find ways to mask themselves, or megadose on caffeine, legally use Provigil (via prescription), and I'm sure other methods known mainly in the trucking circles.

I'm also sure the trucking companies are only doing the drug tests for their own asses, but don't really care either way. They want their loads there and the only ways to do it is with meth, so one has to simply connect the dots about what to do from there.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Dude how nuts is that you are driving and all you hear is ice cracking the entire time and if you drive too fast you fall through the ice?

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
I agree the action better pick up. If the point of the show is to see who can haul the most loads it will be boring fast. Last night the action involved a truck in a ditch. Wow.

Is there something besides air brakes that would work up there? Hydraulics? Electric? Seems like they aren't hauling oversized loads for the most part. Most of them I saw were 15-25,000 lb loads, and they aren't going interstate speeds, and ice on a lake isn't hilly, so stopping shouldn't be as big a problem. Condensate is a constant problem in that weather, even with the dryers and methanol.