OpieRadio Logo
Anthony Cumia Show Logo
Jim Norton Logo

If Anyone Cares, The Latest RRHoF Nominee List

Discussion in 'Music' started by Floyd1977, Oct 5, 2017.

1. goat999

goat999 town drunk

Bon Jovi will get in. Even though he's a fucking cornball, they've been huge several times over 30 years.
    Moody Blues, Dire Straits, Cars all deserve to be in.
    There'd be no Rage without MC5, but Rage will probably get in based on the political climate.
    LL gets in because white people are so scared of black people. I wish NWA would have told whitey to fuck off with his corny ass clubhouse. The obligatory rap group nominee phase over the last few years is really embarrassing to both rock and rap.
    Priest definitely deserves to be in.

Sinn Fein and Stig like this.
  2. Floyd1977

Floyd1977 Registered User

Yeah, Pinder leaving was a blow (although it seems that by the time they re-emerged in the late 70s, Pinder had largely been pushed aside creatively). I always considered him the real "heart" of the Moody Blues. His songs were always good (though none of them ever became "hits"). There was once a documentary on them on Netflix that I watched once. In it, Graeme Edge admits that Pinder and Justin Hayward did pretty much all the writing despite which member got the songwriting credit. He said that whoever came up with the initial idea for a song got the credit, but Pinder/Hayward finished them all. If that's to be believed than that seems to make Pinder the unsung hero of the band.

Also managed to lock down a quality piece of ass (who I guess he's still with) despite looking like a ghoul.

Stig likes this.
  3. Hog's Big Ben

Hog's Big Ben Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
    Donator

Fucking hell. This was her last month:

[​IMG]

This was him last month:
    [​IMG]

4. Reaper G

Reaper G POW# 126

I can't argue with the Monkees going in. They may not have been a "real" band but those tunes were great pop songs, and they still have a strong fan base 50 years later.

I'll give you another one: Paul Revere & the Raiders. A great garage band that happened to wear goofy costumes (hey, it worked for Kiss).

Stig likes this.
  5. Stig

Stig America's Most Beloved Entertainer

Too bad Paul passed away a couple years ago. Great band. Mark Lindsay was just out touring with Mickey Dolenz.
    Also, a lot of inductees used the same song writers and backing band as The Monkees. Hell, they'll probably induct the Wrecking Crew if they haven't already.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

6. Reaper G

Reaper G POW# 126

I know Hal Blaine and Tommy Tedesco are in.

Discoman and Stig like this.
  7. Stormrider666

Stormrider666 Hell is home.

I just voted in the "Fan Vote". That wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be.

Judas Priest
    The MC5
    Dire Straits
    Moody Blues
    J. Geils Band

The last 3 bands I chose based on what other people said in this thread.

8. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

Swap out MC5 for LLCJ and that would be my ballot

Stormrider666 likes this.
  9. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

Looks like Bon Jovi has a healthy lead in the fan voting

10. goat999

goat999 town drunk

"Mama Said Fuck Your Wife".

11. DiggerNick

DiggerNick Well-Known Member
    Donator

LLCJ should get in just for that "My hat is like a shark's fin..." song.

12. Stormrider666

I think LL Cool J should get in. When I was filling out the ballot, I was going back and forth between, "The nominess that I want to see get in" and "The nominees that should go in this year". Then I was trying to figure out the impact of each nominee. Especially the ones who were part of the MTV generation. That's why I eventually used this thread as a consensus for my picks.

And that's not even the best line in the song.:

You want a hit? Give me a hour plus a pen and a pad!

MayrMeninoCrash likes this.
  13. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

No offense to LL Cool J, but the MC5 are far more influential. Without the MC5, you probably don't have the Stooges, and without the two of them (as well as the Who, the Velvet Underground, and a band called Death), you don't have the Ramones or punk rock or anything that the Ramones or punk rock itself have influenced. No grunge, no hardcore punk, no thrash metal, possibly no Motörhead. The list goes on, but you get the point.

Reaper G likes this.
  14. Lord Zero

They deserve to be in due to their influence, but they are indeed a lame Jersey band.

15. Lord Zero

Speaking of "November Rain", I had never heard that song other than a little of the hook, which didn't interest me, until a few weeks ago, when I watched the music video because it looked cheesy. Holy fucking shit. Anyone DJ or programming director, on either radio or MTV, who put that on should be put on trial for crimes against humanity. It's such a shitty song, and the video makes my skin crawl. It's pure cringe.

16. Floyd1977

But did they really influence anyone?

I've talked a lot about The Moody Blues here and I believe they deserve to be in due to an exceptionally stellar career, but one weakness is that you don't actually hear a lot of artists claim to be inspired by them.

And in this case I won't argue that Bon Jovi doesn't deserve the same type of recognition. Obviously were hugely successful.

17. DiggerNick

DiggerNick Well-Known Member
    Donator

The song is awesome. But if you want cheesy and self-indulgent, this wasn't as far as GnR went. Check out the video for 'Estranged'.

In it Axl jumps off a cargo ship and swims with dolphins. Because that's just how much money they had for videos back then.

Although Slash's last guitar solo is God-like.

#42 DiggerNick, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  18. Lord Zero

Lies!
    Oh, believe me, I know about Axl's hacky dolphin faggotry.

19. Lord Zero

I can't think of any, but I'm sure they did.

20. Floyd1977

Nickelback?

21. Lord Zero

Without any proof to support that theory, I'm going to go ahead and confirm it.

SOS and Floyd1977 like this.
  22. Reaper G

Reaper G POW# 126

I voted again, this time switching out the Cars (who don't need help) for the MC5 (who do).

How much does the HoF rely on the fan ballot? I mean, Bon Jovi sold a billion records and can still sell out arenas, but who did they really influence? The Ramones, Stooges, Velvet Underground, Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen -- all great artists, highly influential on those who listened to them, but few if any chart hits. Would they be in if it were up to an online poll?

23. Floyd1977

I've read that the top two or three bands on the fan poll each receive a vote (though I'm sure that Jann Wenner, reserves veto power). So it doesn't seem like it counts for a ton. However ELO and Journey, two bands that I never would have imagined would get in on their first nom as they were also never tremendously popular with Rolling Stone, topped the fan poll last year and got in.

Short answer: Who the fuck knows?!

24. Stormrider666

I voted again and switched out the Moody Blues and the J. Geils Band for the Zombies and LL Cool J.

I think the issue with the Rock-n-Roll HOF is that unlike other HOFs, you don't have actual statistics to use for the starting point as to why someone should be inducted. So a majority of its based on the personal opinions of their voters. Many of whom, I don't know who they're. Compared to the majority of the reporters that I know who vote for the respective HOFs in the four major sports that I follow.

I think the criteria for going into the Rock-n-Roll HOF should come down to the following four factors.

1. Commercial success
    2. Critical acclaim
    3. Impact
    4. Intangibles.

I think for a majority of musicians and bands you could equally use all four to decide who goes in. While I think with others, you have to weigh one factor against the other.

25. ChimneyFish

ChimneyFish Come home...to Simple Rick's

Holy Mother of God! That was the cringiest thing I've seen in a long time. That gave me the douche chills so hard I think I almost had a stroke.
    I used to have at least a little bit of respect for Axl, at least as a performer, but I don't think I can even muster that now. Not after that ending.

DiggerNick likes this.