iHunt 2016

Haeder

South Dakota
Going goose hunting tomorrow morning. Haven't fired a shot in anger in almost a year. Overnight low of 63 degrees. Too warm for hunting but we're going anyway. Decoys and blinds packed. Alarm set for 5:30am.

Unless it's raining or it's Monday......then I won't be coming in to work [miss Steve C].

Haeder

South Dakota
Done cleaning geese!

It was a simple chore because we didn't kill any. Too many hunters and not enough cover in the cut corn field we were hunting. Had three flocks work the decoy spread and none of them came within shotgun range.

It was still damn fun to see waterfowl.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
We loaded up 50 rounds for my boy's new rifle. Sight it in today then go get an elk soon. Maybe today we'll shoot some dumb grouses.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
We loaded up 50 rounds for my boy's new rifle. Sight it in today then go get an elk soon. Maybe today we'll shoot some dumb grouses.
Yeah well I can bullseye whomp rats with my t-16 back home. They're no more than 2 meters

gleet

The 6 day sage grouse season ended yesterday and it rained most of the week. I saw two with an hour left and got one, limiting out for the day. He was brined and fried tonight. Chewy and beefy and not bad at all.

gleet

Wife drew a once in a lifetime cow moose tag and season opened yesterday. Wife shot a cow moose at sunup. We got it home whole.

gleet

Well, I had two hunks of cable laying around for years. Last week I got clamps and made eyes and the moose died 92 yards out in a beaver swamp and it turned out I had 95 yards of cables. Noosed the head and hooked her to the Mule and pulled her out with diesel power over beaver dams and willows.Then I pulled her sideways onto the trailer and put the Mule behind and drove her home to the electric hoist.

Haeder

South Dakota
Well, I had two hunks of cable laying around for years. Last week I got clamps and made eyes and the moose died 92 yards out in a beaver swamp and it turned out I had 95 yards of cables. Noosed the head and hooked her to the Mule and pulled her out with diesel power over beaver dams and willows.Then I pulled her sideways onto the trailer and put the Mule behind and drove her home to the electric hoist.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
That is really cool, what did she shoot it with? And were you able to save the pelt?

gleet

That is really cool, what did she shoot it with? And were you able to save the pelt?
A homemade 280 Ackley Improved in a 1908 Brazilian Mauser action with a Shilen barrel and an exhibition curly maple stock and a 6X Weaver in Conetrol mounts. 140 gr Nosler Partitions. I built it about 20 years ago and shot a few things then she grabbed onto it and claims it's hers. She has shot elk and deer and antelope with it. Every year she fires once to check the scope that has never changed, and once to kill whatever she feels like. She's down to 14 rounds left in the box of 50, I'm gonna have to reload in 5-6 years.

We tacked the hide up on the back of a shed. It's 9 feet tall. That thing has 4" hair towards the front.

We cut up the shoulders last night, the loins and neck and ribs tonight and will finish cutting the ass tomorrow.

Haeder

South Dakota
A homemade 280 Ackley Improved in a 1908 Brazilian Mauser action with a Shilen barrel and an exhibition curly maple stock and a 6X Weaver in Conetrol mounts. 140 gr Nosler Partitions. I built it about 20 years ago and shot a few things then she grabbed onto it and claims it's hers. She has shot elk and deer and antelope with it. Every year she fires once to check the scope that has never changed, and once to kill whatever she feels like. She's down to 14 rounds left in the box of 50, I'm gonna have to reload in 5-6 years.

We tacked the hide up on the back of a shed. It's 9 feet tall. That thing has 4" hair towards the front.

We cut up the shoulders last night, the loins and neck and ribs tonight and will finish cutting the ass tomorrow.
Moose backstraps sound delicious. Fuckin' starvin'. Got any moose backstraps back there gleet?

Haeder

South Dakota
"Epizootic hemorrhagic disease (EHD) is a hemorrhagic disease of white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) caused by an infection of a virus from the genus Orbivirus." - Wikipedia.

Found two dead bucks today. The farmer hacked their heads off with a machete and wired them to a fence. Should be bleached clean by spring.

THE FEZ MAN

That's a shame those would be fine trophies around here most of the bucks around here are scrawny

Haeder

South Dakota
That's a shame those would be fine trophies around here most of the bucks around here are scrawny
Refunds are being offered for deer tags in about half of South Dakota because of the disease. The impact on the deer herd has been devastating. Here's another one that was found recently.

THE FEZ MAN

We have whatbis called "cronic wasting disease" but, the irony is that where I live SE PA is actually way way over populated with white tail, so much that they have to hire sharp shooters to cull the herds or else they starve

gleet

I had a fear that moose would be full of Echinococcus granulosus cysts from wolves and we would lose the meat but it all looked good. I've seen some lumpy deer and elk on game cams and in person lately.

We just got done cutting and it is being vacuum sucked as we speak.

Haeder

South Dakota
Purchased a dozen new arrows yesterday. A new pack of broadheads should be arriving in the mail tomorrow. Taking next week off to archery hunt and hoping all of the deer weren't killed off by EHD.

Haeder

South Dakota
I'm in a treestand waiting for sunrise. Pheasants are crowing and geese are honking. Still not enough light to see deer. Overnight low was 55 degrees. Light breeze from northwest. It is unseasonably warm in South Dakota.

Haeder

South Dakota
A buck chased a doe on to the neighboring property to the north. His intentions did not appear to be pure. She did not want to be molested. Hope they are able to make some sort of compromise.

There is also a buck bedded 226 yards west of me. Might be a shooter.

gleet

A buck chased a doe on to the neighboring property to the north. His intentions did not appear to be pure. She did not want to be molested. Hope they are able to make some sort of compromise.

There is also a buck bedded 226 yards west of me. Might be a shooter.
That's too far for a certain bow shot.

#tattered