Ike Turner....dead.

TheDrip

I'm bi-winning.
Jan 9, 2006
Guess god needed a wife-beater.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5i00d3lO-44BBUMKh7kjWGOlTCHxA

Music legend Ike Turner dead at 76: report

44 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (AFP) — Music legend Ike Turner, best remembered for his successful musical partnership and stormy marriage to singer Tina Turner, has died at home in California, it was reported Wednesday. He was 76.

Turner, often credited by music historians with writing the first rock and roll record, 1951's "Rocket 88," died at his home in San Marcos, celebrity news website TMZ.com said.

A spokesman for San Diego County Medical Examiner's Office could not confirm the report but said officials were investigating a death in San Marcos. Police meanwhile said they had received a report of a death at an address corresponding to Turner's but declined to provide further information.

Turner enjoyed a successful musical career that had its origins in the late 1930s, where as a child growing up in Mississippi he was taught piano by the legendary blues man Pinetop Perkins.

After forming his band The Kings of Rhythm in the late 1940s, Turner settled in St Louis, where he worked as a scout for labels including Sun Records, helping to sign talent such as Howlin' Wolf and Elmore James.

But it was a young teenage singer from Nutbush, Tennessee, then known as Anna Mae Bullock, that was to become the most influential figure in Turner's career.

Bullock impressed Turner with what was to become her trademark raspy voice, and quickly earned a place as a backup singer for The Kings of Rhythm.

In 1960 Bullock -- who was pregnant with Ike's child -- recorded the lead vocal on "A Fool in Love." The song became a massive hit. Shortly afterwards she changed her name to Tina Turner, and the couple's band became "The Ike and Tina Turner Revue."

The duo were married in Mexico in 1962 and over the course of the next decade collaborated in a string of hits including the ground-breaking "River Deep, Mountain High," produced by Phil Spector, "Proud Mary," which hit number four on the US pop charts in 1971, and 1973's "Nutbush City Limits."

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Talented guy... did groundbreaking stuff, but he was a fucking lunatic and generally a scumbag.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I'm sure abusive husbands worldwide will have a moment of silence, before going back to beating their wives.

Evilton

Why do black people call each other "Monica"?
Oct 1, 2006
Guess God needed a pimp to slap a bitch.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
Guess god needed someone that knew how to really use a phone book.

Razor Roman

MJMandalayForPresident2024
Aug 27, 2002
Sayreville NJ
He was a personal hero, and he will be missed.

Scott Peterson will be joining him soon, and they can talk about how to keep bitches in line.

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
he was certainly a flawed fucker, but he may have invented rock n' roll.... with the help of Sam Phillips.

"Rocket 88", perhaps the first 12-bar blues songs with distortion on a guitar. listen to it - it's still enjoyable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_88

But yeah, I'll be sadder when old shit & piss-spy Chuck Berry goes.

C

Cactrot

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike

Smokezilla

U. S. Backstroke Roulette Champion
Jul 30, 2005
BumFuck-Egypt, KY
Here's to the hands who help invent Rock 'N Roll as we know it. . . And still keep his pimp-hand STRONG!!!

Thoughts-N-Pray-yahz!!!:icon_cry:

GarlicButterSau

Now... I have... a machine gun... Ho... Ho... Ho
Dec 5, 2007
Jer-Z
HIT ME AGAIN IKE... AND THIS TIME PUT SOME 'STANK ON IT!

Arguably the Grandfather of Rock and Roll, but not arguably the Grandfather of creepy mustaches and The Goon Hand.

(Dude looked like a black Snidley Whiplash)