Ilya Bryzgalov turned Yoda to the Dark Side with new Flyers mask (PHOTO)

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Ilya Bryzgalov turned Yoda to the Dark Side with new Flyers mask (PHOTO)

By Greg Wyshynski | Puck Daddy – 3 hours ago

Because Ilya Bryzgalov is both a space aficionado and someone who completely understands the appeal of his “hockey’s greatest Cosmonaut” whimsy, of course the Philadelphia Flyers goalie is going to have a “Star Wars”-themed mask (via @NHLFlyers).

Yoda, the diminutive Jedi Master, is wielding a red lightsaber. But Yoda’s lightsaber is green. More importantly, a red lightsaber is associated with the Sith, enemy of the Jedi, and the Dark Side of the Force; wielded by such scurrilous ne'er-do-wells as Darth Sideous, Darth Maul and Vader himself.

Ah, you ponder, but what if Yoda simply stole that saber from a Sith he had sent into the Force ether?

Please recall that Yoda’s lightsaber was created to scale, fitting only his tiny space Muppet hands. Unless the Sith recruited some sinister Jawa as an apprentice, their sabres are not Yoda-sized.

So we are left to believe that artist Fran Drummond has created an affront to “Star Wars” fandom by turning Yoda to the Dark Side. To put this in Philadelphian sports terms, it’s a bit like a mask depicting

Mike Schmidt as a New York Met, hugging Wilt Chamberlain dressed as a Knick.

A beauty of a mask for Bryz, save for one fatal flaw.

And by that we mean an image of Yoda from the prequels trilogy. Poo-doo.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...1lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zBHRlc3QDVGVzdF9BRkM-;_ylv=3

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
It's a trophy. Yoda murdered Vader in cold blood. Justice for Vader!

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I hate myself for reading that article.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
I hope Disney sues him.
That would probably be a first because this isnt the first mask to have a movie character on it. As for the article saying using the prequel Yoda is a fopa prolly doesn't understand that Bryz wanted an action pose and that none exist outside of the prequels. They also didnt notice that Vader is done in a cartoon style so if they used the original Yoda it wouldn't match

phillyfranko

Jun 1, 2010
south of philly
seen it on Facebook...like it...met him and got a pic of me and him by his Astin Martin after that Flyers playoff game where they had 7 huge fights vs Pittsburgh.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
As of today's game he's had Yoda's light saber switched to green

Aug 12, 2005
PA
yes i did notice that he is a shade or two greener
Perhaps when he posed for it he was under the weather. Maybe his species turns orange since he's already green.

Ah-boo.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
Perhaps when he posed for it he was under the weather. Maybe his species turns orange since he's already green.

Ah-boo.
Or it was the glow from a red light saber

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I liked it better red.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I was going to make a joke that this was the only story about Hockey I've followed all season, and when I went to the standings to come up with material for the joke I noticed the Blackhawks haven't bothered to lose a game yet? WTF? Why is that not national news?

BIV

Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
I was going to make a joke that this was the only story about Hockey I've followed all season, and when I went to the standings to come up with material for the joke I noticed the Blackhawks haven't bothered to lose a game yet? WTF? Why is that not national news?
'Cuz hockey.

Damn it, Sacramento needs to give up that fucking basketball team so we can get an arena a lure a hockey team here.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
Because were not canada. trust me its big news up north and technically they lost 3 in either OT or a shootout which means they still got a single point for the game but it's still a pretty huge deal to be 22gms into a season and not lost in regulation

mr. sin

Mar 30, 2005
RALEIGH, NC
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pattisonave/Bryzgalovs-Star-Wars-mask-gets-an-update.html

There has been a lot of buzz about Ilya Bryzgalov's new Star Wars themed goalie mask since it was first revealed, and the Flyers have even managed to climb above the .500 mark for the first time all season since he started wearing it on the ice.
The initial feedback to the facemask was positive, as Flyers fans liked the look and found it fitting for Bryzgalov.
However, not everyone was completely satisfied with the recreation of the classic characters, as a representative from Lucasfilm Ltd., Star Wars’ parent company, reached out to the Flyers to have an incorrect aspect of the color scheme corrected.
The mask, painted by Franny Drummond, initially depicted Yoda wielding a red light saber, which is a sign of the evil Sith Lords. In the films, however, Yoda used a green light saber, as Star Wars fanatics were quick to point out.
Thus, the people at Lucasfilm wanted the mask altered to accurately reflect the film.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
Omg did Lucas really get involved smh

mr. sin

Mar 30, 2005
RALEIGH, NC
while this is true it still is a cunty thing to do
i agree.

but they copied a licensed img
and then made it their own in a incorrect way

but brown/tan yoda does look fucking cool and it does stand out better on the mask.