I'm about to pop my Mac cherry.

BusyChild04

I gotta return some video tapes.
Apr 28, 2005
Texas
I'm about to order a 17" MacBook Pro later on today. I'm getting it with my own options of:

Upgrading the processor to 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Upgrading the hard drive to 250Gb @5400 RPM
Upgrading the screen to the High-Resolution Glossy Widescreen Display.

The total of it with tax and all is gonna be $3,571.17. But a friend of mine works for apple and is giving me his discount which will bring it down to $3,035.50. I'm a college student and that gives me a $250 discount. He doesn't know if he can add my discount to it but if he can it'll be $2,785.50. But I'm not counting on that. So I'm playing with the $3,035.50 ballpark. My question is. Will the 3grand be worth it? Or will I regret it? I do alot of DJing, remixing, editing, and composing and need a minimum of 3 USB ports (hence, me getting the 17 inch model.). I have an HP Pavillion dv1000 right now. Never gave me problems until now (it's 3 years old). And now I want a laptop that'll last me years from now. Is this a good idea?

Aero 1

Mar 18, 2005
Clifton, NJ
wait till next week. macbook pros will be announced based on the new Intel chips at Macworld.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
once you go mac, you never go back

yea wait till after MAC world next week and if only for a speed bump in processors and bus. the prices might even be lower and the base hard drive might be bigger. that model will be good for years. apple will keep OSX working on the current equipment for a long time. I am typing this on an old powerbook, well 2 years old at least, and it runs the current OS just fine. newer = more gooder

BusyChild04

Apr 28, 2005
Texas
This problem is I have the money now and with school starting I might not have the money in a couple of weeks. It's more of a now or never type thing. I'm gonna call my friend and see what he thinks. If thats the case...I might have no choice but to wait. Good thing you all are giving me the heads up.

CrisK

Oct 4, 2004
Philadelphia
MacWorld starts on Tuesday of next week. There will be new products announced. A new MacBook might not be released, but you only have to wait 4 more days.

BusyChild04

Apr 28, 2005
Texas
yeah. might as well. If I order it today I won't get it until probably next wed. I think I'll wait.

Well...there goes my laptop buying bubble for today. Close this thread. Thanks, creeps.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Wow, breaking your Mac cherry with a $3000 system is like taking Lex Steele to the prom.

BusyChild04

Apr 28, 2005
Texas
yeah well...you get what you pay for...most of the time... If I'm gonna spend, I go as far as I can.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
yeah well...you get what you pay for...most of the time... If I'm gonna spend, I go as far as I can.
I'm quite jealous. I'm trying to break my Mac cherry with less than $100 to work with. I seem to have spent all of my extra cash on my recent move for silly things like furniture and a new tv. :action-sm

BusyChild04

Apr 28, 2005
Texas
The thing I'm worried about is that I have an 80gig external hard drive with all my movies and music($) and photos. About 60gigs worth. Would my mac automatically read it or would I need to format it and risk losing everything? how can I avoid that?

waa waa mvirus

Sep 3, 2007
The thing I'm worried about is that I have an 80gig external hard drive with all my movies and music($) and photos. About 60gigs worth. Would my mac automatically read it or would I need to format it and risk losing everything? how can I avoid that?
it'll read it all just fine, and if you have an Ipod that is registered to a PC, you can get all that music onto the mac without registering it to the mac with a program called Suenti or something like that, I'll look and let you know

you may spend over 3k on your macbook, but I love mine, it's waaay better than a PC laptop

hybriddriver

she is ice cream
Feb 20, 2006
PA
Yeah, I believe Macs can read external drives formatted to Windows, but not vice versa. Big surprise!

BusyChild04

Apr 28, 2005
Texas
well. No big announcements as far as the MBPs go. I called my friend last friday and asked him about those rumors and he said that he has not heard of any modifications to the existing line of notebooks but just an announcement of the new Macbook Air. So I placed the order holding my breath hoping nothing would be announced that would upset me. Luckily nothing. I tracked my laptop today and it should be here on friday. That Macbook Air doesn't look that impressive though.

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
That new Macbook Air is lovely, but it a bit overpriced for what you get. It's the same computer as the baseline Macbook. I'm thinking about getting a laptop, and that thing doesn't even factor.

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
I'm about to order a 17" MacBook Pro later on today. I'm getting it with my own options of:

Upgrading the processor to 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Upgrading the hard drive to 250Gb @5400 RPM
Upgrading the screen to the High-Resolution Glossy Widescreen Display.
*drools*

sbrainb

Go suck a bag of dicks.
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
The MacBook Air only gots teh 13" screen!

I was planning on buying a regular MacBook Pro soon anyway. I think I'll stick with that.

not_you_too

May 5, 2004
Philly
I have a feeling (based on conversations with people @apple, plus stuff I've read on various blogs today) that newly updated MBP's will be announced shortly.

I've got a couple-year-old core duo MBP that's ready for an update... I really want a quad core macbook pro!

BusyChild04

Apr 28, 2005
Texas
waiting is a bitch. I'm OCD'ing hardcore and checking the tracking status every hour or so. What makes it worst is that I might not be home when the package is scheduled to arrive on friday. :arrrh: My maid will hopefully be there and receive it. Hopefully by friday night I'll be playing around with it like a 12 year old touching his first pair of breasts.

MilitantRabbit

Back...and still sucks...
Nov 11, 2004
Woodland Park
You got your first Mac, I finally did some damage to my MacBook's case. A little hairline fracture in the case. Aluminum don't do that, so no worries for you, expensive top case replacement and a few weeks without my Mac (if I want to do it) for me.

BusyChild04

Apr 28, 2005
Texas
So I did it. I got it today. They attempted to deliver it when I wasn't here so I had to go pick it up at FedEx. I'm using it right now. Holy crap. It really is like I'm touching a pair of cans for the first time. It's fucking beautiful. I have to admit though. I'm a bit lost. I don't know how to get rid of icons on the dashboard I don't want. Like garage band and that type of stuff. I'm also trying to get the hang of installing stuff.

hybriddriver

she is ice cream
Feb 20, 2006
PA
do you mean you want remove icons from the "dock" (the bar at the bottom of the screen)? if so, just click on it, hold in the button and drag it up and away- it will disappear

BusyChild04

Apr 28, 2005
Texas
Yeah. the dock. I'm installing Open Office right now since Office costs me $150. So screw that. My external hard drive worked flawlessly. I have some .wmv movies and don't know how to get them to play. I imagine I have to download a plug in. I just need to find it. Any other things you all recommend?

stellarcomics

Jul 25, 2005
As I just mentioned, Flip4Mac will transport (non-protected) Windows Media to Quicktime player instead.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Using a Mac is like gay sex. Yes, it's more consistent, but it makes you a fag.:icon_lol:

BusyChild04

Apr 28, 2005
Texas
ok. I think I've encountered my first problem. I'm trying to install a DJing software, Traktor Scratch. I've already successfully installed all the drivers and all. But now I'm trying to install the software. I put in the disc and begin the process. When I finish accepting the license agreement and click on to install it it starts doing something then just exits out. Does nothing. I check the applications section and there's just a folder titled "Traktor Scratch". I open it and there's nothing. What's going on? A friend of mine loaded it onto his mac last night so I don't know.