Immigrants protest 'illegal' label

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
A small group of immigrants gathered in Woodbury Monday to protest the use of the word "illegal" to describe those who have entered the United States without documentation.

"By saying illegal, they're assuming that we broke a criminal law," said Jackeline Saavedra, 27, of Bay Shore, a Touro Law Center student who identified herself as undocumented. "Not everybody enters illegally."

Coordinators said they prefer the phrase "undocumented immigrant."

Osman Canales, 23, an immigrant rights advocate in Huntington who organized the protest, said using the word "illegal" criminalizes a whole community. "It's a racist word against our community, so we're just here to raise awareness," he said.

The protest mirrored a larger effort nationwide to push media outlets and people in general to stop using the word "illegal" when referring to immigrants.

The "Drop The I-Word" campaign was organized by The Applied Research Center, a New York City-based racial justice think tank. Its goal, according to its news website, Colorlines.com, is to "eradicate the slur 'illegals' from everyday use and public discourse."

Campaign coordinator Monica Novoa said that in two years, 14,000 people have signed the group's pledge.

"Using a phrase like 'illegal aliens' or 'illegals' . . . reinforces the notion that you could treat another individual as less than a human being," said Alina Das, assistant professor of clinical law at New York University. "One action -- whether it's a crime -- shouldn't be used to define a whole group of people or one individual."

But Gallya Lahav, associate professor of political science at Stony Brook University, said the term "undocumented" has flaws.

"It's a politically correct way of saying illegal," she said. "What you're also talking about in proper form are the real undocumented -- asylum seekers -- people who are fleeing for threats of their life or freedom."

Still, the word "illegal" makes Elias Llivicura, 18, who described himself as undocumented, feel "uncomfortable."

"We also have feelings too," said Llivicura, of Bellport, who came to Long Island from Ecuador at age 8. "It makes me feel like I'm different from everybody else," he said. "It makes me feel like really bad inside."
http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/immigrants-protest-illegal-label-1.3916690

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
They should have realized by now that people will never stop calling them what they are. Any immigrant either came here with the laws we have or not. If they didn't, then they came here illegally. Why is that so hard for some people to understand?

And calling it "the I Word" is about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. "Illegal immigrant" is not a slur, it is an accurate description--you came here illegally. They need to stop with the crybaby, phony victim angle. Nobody forced them to come here and nobody forced them to do so without going through the proper steps. If you don't want to be called an illegal immigrant, don't come here illegally. It's pretty simple.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
It's actually racist by this group to assume "illegal immigrant" automatically refers to Hispanics (their justification for calling it a racist term)... it just refers to someone who enters this country illegally. There are plenty of illegal immigrants of other races... Asians being one group that enters the US illegally in significant numbers.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
They should have realized by now that people will never stop calling them what they are. Any immigrant either came here with the laws we have or not. If they didn't, then they came here illegally. Why is that so hard for some people to understand?

And calling it "the I Word" is about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. "Illegal immigrant" is not a slur, it is an accurate description--you came here illegally. They need to stop with the crybaby, phony victim angle. Nobody forced them to come here and nobody forced them to do so without going through the proper steps. If you don't want to be called an illegal immigrant, don't come here illegally. It's pretty simple.
Preach it brother!

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
So they decide to protest in mass and it never occurs to ICE that it might be a good idea to grab some illegals? Dear Leader would be most displeased if criminals were rounded up and deported before the election.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
So they decide to protest in mass and it never occurs to ICE that it might be a good idea to grab some illegals? Dear Leader would be most displeased if criminals were rounded up and deported before the election.
Yeah, i think 875.3 million spics ended up protesting in church.

the Streif

¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
Donator
Aug 25, 2002
In a hot tub having a snow ball fight.
Campaign coordinator Monica Novoa said that in two years, 14,000 people have signed the group's pledge.
Good job cunt. In two years I bet I could have gotten 14,000 people to sign a paper stating that Hitler had a few good ideas too.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
"Illegal immigrant" is not a slur, it is an accurate description--you came here illegally.
It's actually racist by this group to assume "illegal immigrant" automatically refers to Hispanics (their justification for calling it a racist term)... it just refers to someone who enters this country illegally.
I think one of their points is that in most cases, they didn't "come" here illegally. Many came on valid visas, but over-stayed them and it was then that they became illegal because of our complicated processes and backlog of cases.

Gather wetback is bad as well...
Says the Frostback. :action-sm