OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Importing eBooks into Kindle Fire

Discussion in 'Wackbag Tech Support' started by Falldog, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Falldog

Falldog Wackbag's Best Conservative
    Donator

Amazon just started selling refurbished Kindles for $139 so I decided to pick one up. I know it's not the best one out on the market and there are new ones coming out soon but it seemed like a cheap way to get one to mess around with.

Now I know nothing about ebooks, what kind of files are out there, etc etc.

If I were to 'acquire' an eBook for something I own a physical copy of, is there away to import that into whatever eBook system Amazon runs?

2. icculus1284

icculus1284 Registered User

Fires don't have e-ink, which is why I chose the kindle 4(80$). Backlit screen just doesn't sound appealing for long periods of reading.

As for your actual question: no idea.

3. fulldevilsoccer

fulldevilsoccer Registered User

don't you guys think that in the near future you'll have something like the wii u and you just "stream" the book from your smartphone to your tablet?

4. ianbobo

ianbobo Well-Known Member
    It's My Birthday!

You can do that with the kindle app. You can read your content anywhere. I love my Kindles. i have a Fire and the cheapest one for reading in bed with the cover/light combination

5. icculus1284

Kindles can hold more than a thousand books. No real need to "stream". I download via wifi, and it's near instant.

6. Falldog

Donator

That's what I want to do with my new one, w/o having to busy the books I already own.

7. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

I'll try to answer your question, although I know little about the Kindle Fire. Regular Kindles use .mobi files, so I assume the Kindle fire will accept those also. From the sites you "acquire" the books from, type ".mobi" or "kindle" along with title and it should handle all of them. Once you download them, probably the easiest way to get them on your Kindle is using Calibre (free, just do Google search). It organizes and updates meta data for all your books, and can painlessly put them in the correct folder on the device.

Now, your KF may also handle epub and other file types, but I'd stick to .mobi if the following interests you. You can side-load the same file (after editing it a bit) to your smartphone, computer, other tablets, etc, and Amazon Whispernet (or whatever it's called) will sync your last place read between all your devices. If you want me to explain how to do that, let me know.

To reiterate, use .mobi file types and mess around with Calibre until you're comfortable with it.

8. Falldog

Donator

Thanks man, I'll definitely take a look at that sometime tonight/when I get my Fire.

9. TreeFortRichard

there are places with huge amounts of books available..they are very small, like 3mb so there can be over 500 in one collection...so many that it feels like a torrent of books coming your way...

10. Dicktator

Dicktator Frozen Meatbals 4life

Soooooooooooo, no one knows?

11. whiskeyguy

Pretty sure I answered it. Find .mobi files and use Calibre to transfer them to the Fire. Alternately you can use Calibre to convert file types like epub to .mobi.

12. Falldog

Donator

Can I access ebooks my folks may have purchased through their accounts?

Torrenting books is gonna be easy I'm sure, but I don't want anything I haven't actually paid for.

13. Dicktator

Transfer or get books to the kindle is what i'm not understanding. All my purchased books are done through wifi. I have the .mobi books on my computer. And I get that I need caliber to manage the .mobi now HOW do I send them to the KF. I pretty sure when I press the device it's not going to send it to my kindle.

14. Falldog

Donator

I'm assuming there's a directory that it syncs up with when the device is connected.

15. Bobobie

Bobobie Registered User

I had trouble getting my sisters Kindle Fire to recognize mobi files that worked on my Kindle Second Generation.

Trouble as in it didn't work at all.

16. whiskeyguy

Amazon has a lending feature where you can lend books you've purchased to other people... they are just unavailable to the owner while they are being lent.

On Calibre, once you've loaded your books and have connected the Fire, right clicking and selecting "Send to Device" should do it. That's what works with every other eReader I've had experience with. Make sure Calibre is up to date, and you may have to re-start your Fire after the transfer.

Are you sure you transferred them to the right folder, and did you restart the Fire after the transfer? Also, it might help to update the meta data using Calibre (this downloads book info from places like Amazon). If you use Amazon as a source, you can actually then sync the last place read between devices.

17. Falldog

Donator

I got my Fire today. I didn't realize that the whole interface was different than the normal Android one.

Can I get mail and such on this? Should I just try to root/install a standard Android OS?

18. Dicktator

First Gen Kindle Fire and I tried for 3 hours and finally said fuck it. Maybe when I get desperate I will give it a try again later. But I'm not a broke person so I'm gonna pay. BOOO!
    It's funner when it's free.
    any good secret sources for files when I do get it figured out. PM.

19. Falldog

Donator

I rooted my Fire but it doesn't seem to have been worth it. The Google app store doesn't even load in the system properly and still prevents me from downloading because it recognizes that it's a Fire.

20. Falldog

Donator

Much appreciated. Calibre works great. The only thing that bugs me is that books I import that way show up in my Docs section, not books.

21. whiskeyguy

I read something about that a while back, not sure if there was a fix to it.

22. icculus1284

I used calibre today on my kindle

Thanks for the info in this thread. Simple process.

23. Falldog

Donator

Hah, after all the time wasted on trying to get the Google app store loaded I just learned how to side load everything I needed. Way to make things difficult, Amazon.

24. Bobobie

Bobobie Registered User

I figured out the problem on my sisters Kindle Fire. She copied the Folder that contained the file instead of the file by itself. I simply moved the file out of the folder into the root of the Ebook folder and the book appeared in the menu. It was just as simple as putting a mobi file on a regular Kindle.

25. Hate & Discontent

Hate & Discontent Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?

TL;DR

You can also email .epub (along with pdf and a few others) files to your Kindle email account (username@kindle.com) with the word CONVERT in the subject line, and Amazon will convert the file and deliver it to your Kindle via wifi, etc.