Imus Coming Back With Black Sidekick

Jims Rottweiler

Anyone ever smell my ass?
Apr 23, 2005
Who saw this coming?

IMUS COMING BACK WITH BLACK SIDEKICK
By DON KAPLAN
December 1, 2007 -- Crusty shock jock Don Imus has hired a black cohort in an effort to quell lingering racial tension from the debacle that got him booted off the airwaves last spring, The Post has learned.

"The reasoning is obvious," an ABC insider said cryptically of the new addition to Imus' crew. The new show will kick off Monday at 6 a.m. on 77-WABC talk radio.

The identity of Imus' new black colleague is still under wraps and WABC management is guarding the information as if it were a state secret.

His longtime sidekicks Charles McCord and Bernard McGuirk are also expected to join the new "Imus in the Morning" show.

Yesterday, a statement from the show promised Monday's 6-to-10 a.m. broadcast - which will originate from Town Hall - would feature "the rest of the show's longtime cast and new additions to the team; plus a performance by The Levon Helm Band."

Imus sparked an uproar on his show last April when he called the Rutgers women's basketball team "nappy-headed ho's" after their loss to Tennessee in the NCAA championship game.

At the time, black community leaders called for Imus to be fired. After issuing apologies and meeting with the Rutgers basketball team, he was dumped first by MSNBC and then by CBS-owned WFAN radio.

Starting Tuesday, Imus will broadcast the first three hours from a rented television studio in a building near Madison Square Garden.

It will be videotaped and carried as part of an unlikely partnership between Imus and RFD-TV, a 24-hour cable network - not available in New York City - that celebrates the country lifestyle and usually features shows like "I Love Toy Trains" and "The Johnnie High Country Music Revue."

For the final hour of his four-hour daily show, Imus will run across the street to ABC's radio studios at 2 Penn Plaza.

The two-studio shuffle is part of a five-year deal that reportedly pays him between $5 million and $8 million annually.

Meanwhile, Imus' return to the air does not sit well with some critics, including the National Association of Black Journalists, which in October urged WABC owner Citadel Broadcasting not to hire him. Also, longtime advertisers, such as GM, have said they will evaluate the show before making a decision whether to buy ad time. But the cantankerous shock jock is not expected to command the same premium ad dollars that he once did.

And while his national presence it a plus for the Citadel-owned station which will syndicate the new show around the United States, it is still unclear if his New York ratings will be up to snuff.

The morning team of Curtis Sliwa and Ron Kuby - whom Imus replaces - consistently scored better ratings locally than Imus did on WFAN.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12012007/news/regionalnews/imus_coming_back_with_black_sidekick_304001.htm

LilJimmiesMule

Fuck you, and Fuck your family...
Donator
Dec 8, 2004
Minnesota Pest
so is his new hole going to contribute the funny and help make light of "the racial tension" or is the new hole going to be there to be a funny-quelling hole....

Razor Roman

Save the USH!
Aug 27, 2002
Sayreville NJ
Yeah I guess he wants to have a black sports guy on the show... even though legendary (and had 2 stitnts with Imus) Warner Wolf was available for the gig and already under ABC contract.

DeltaPin

Donator
Feb 17, 2005
NJ
Yeah I guess he wants to have a black sports guy on the show... even though legendary (and had 2 stitnts with Imus) Warner Wolf was available for the gig and already under ABC contract.
I think they moved Warner Wolf to Mike & Mike on ESPN.

Absolutely

Self-Heavy
Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
The I-Man is sort of dissapointing me at this point.

Black sidekick now? Yuuuck

mendozathejew

Mar 12, 2005
jersey
if its the sports guy, or one of the other roles that was always there in the first place, then this was a very misleading article. that wouldnt be a side kick, that would be someone with a 3 of 4 minutes of airtime each hour.

this article makes it seem like they are 3rd mic to imus and mccord

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
For the final hour of his four-hour daily show, Imus will run across the street to ABC's radio studios at 2 Penn Plaza.

The two-studio shuffle is part of a five-year deal that reportedly pays him between $5 million and $8 million annually.
Walkover. How original.

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
Ha
Ha
They said he was going to run studio to studio. Yea right..........

Sprite

permanent case of the Moooondays
Apr 27, 2005
Jersey
Ugh. Yechh. :icon_roll

Plunkies

Jun 28, 2006
Wasn't there already a black guy that worked on the show? I don't doubt that Imus is going to come back like a pussy, but I've got to assume the article is blowing something out of proportion.

mendozathejew

Mar 12, 2005
jersey
Wasn't there already a black guy that worked on the show? I don't doubt that Imus is going to come back like a pussy, but I've got to assume the article is blowing something out of proportion.
if its the sports guy then yes they blew it way out of proportion. thats not a side kick. a side kick is someone staying on mic all show like mccord

norton23

Opie And Anthony Always Win In The End
Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
I heard a rumor,,,this is big,,,new sidekick=

Dave Chapell WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mendozathejew

Mar 12, 2005
jersey
Imus’ nemesis, Howard Stern, told The Associated Press in a recent interview that his acerbic competitor’s career had peaked.

“At this point, I don’t think he’s very relevant,” Stern said. “People will tune out within a week. I defy you to listen. It’s like a rodeo — you know, see how long you can ride a bull? See how long you can keep listening to Imus.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22057090/

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Imus’ nemesis, Howard Stern, told The Associated Press in a recent interview that his acerbic competitor’s career had peaked.

“At this point, I don’t think he’s very relevant,” Stern said. “People will tune out within a week. I defy you to listen. It’s like a rodeo — you know, see how long you can ride a bull? See how long you can keep listening to Imus.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22057090/
I hate to say it but Howard is right.

Of course he's just as bad and irrelevant now.