OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Imus Sued Over Radio Spots

Discussion in 'General Discussion Archive' started by Sinn Fein, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein Infidel and White Interloper
    Wackbag Staff

I'm putting this here since he's a special friend of the show...

Apparently, he's being sued for some off-the-cuff comments during some live-read ad spots from a year ago.

Imus Sued Over Radio Spots

2. Razor Roman

Razor Roman Save the USH!

Oh that Imus.

He seems to be floundering pretty badly too as far as ratings and quality of the show.

3. Philly loser

Philly loser Wackbag Elder Statesman

I never listened to Imus. What the boys play, I like. He just seems like a cranky old fuck, and I like that. Does anyone listen to him now that he's back? He's only in NY, right? I don't think he's on in Philly. I wouldn't mind hearing some of his shit. I'm hoping he isn't too soft now that he's been back for awhile.

As for the sponsor, he's fucking right. Ford dies and they see it as a revenue source. Fuck those nappy headed... oh wait, wrong money grubbing lawsuit.

4. LiddyRules

LiddyRules I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy

Didn't a company try to do this with Howie and it went nowhere?

5. 23 Skidoo

23 Skidoo She ENTICED me

He used to do live reads for some camera company, and he'd talk about the zoom being so good you could actually see Charles McCord's dong with it. Or he used to do these commercials for Cross pens being the size of Chuck's penis. He has a history of fucking with live reads. It made the commercials a little more interesting to listen to, but I used to wonder how the President of Cross pens felt having paid for a bunch of spots and hearing his pens compared to some guy's cock. Gotta love the I-man. And I did, until I stumbled upon the bbboys during the XM Freeview.

6. gleet

gleet What's black and white and red all over?

He's on RFD-TV on Direct TV. At the same time as O&A, who I listen to.

7. Zona992006

Zona992006 New Wackbag

who is howie?

8. 23 Skidoo

23 Skidoo She ENTICED me

I listen to him during the break between the Terrestrial show and the XM goodness. He has too many damn people on the show now, less Bernie.... and it's just not as funny as it used to be. I'm rooting for him because he hates Hoo Hoo and he's a friend of the boys (and I used to listen to him all the time), but the new show, from what little I've heard of it, has changed. And not for the better.

9. Razor Roman

Razor Roman Save the USH!

you can also listen on www.wabcradio.com

concensus is he shys away from being funny at all nowadays. Don't know if its true cause I don't listen.

10. SaltyDelights

They're messing with the wrong guy regarding (free?) speech issues. Look what happened to CBS; they had to fork over $12 million. Don's lawyer has already sad the lawsuit is baseless. They won't get a penny.

The show is still humorous, and Don mentions O&A all the time. They had Dick Cavett on yesterday. Don said he loved "Mr. Cavett."

Bernie asked, "You love Dick, don't you, chief?"

Don said he would send Bernie to O&A to do that type of humor.

11. Tax Kuntz

Tax Kuntz just being an ass

At least he's not hawking "The Turtle" :icon_roll

12. mendozathejew

mendozathejew Registered User

that would be alright with me

13. Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff

I like the I-Man. And if the stars aligned and O&A returned to afternoon-drive, I'd be all over listening to Imus on a daily basis.

14. STARTSOMETHING

STARTSOMETHING I wanna b, like ronnie b!

Didn't a television studio just recently. Try to sue oanda. About an incident that happened over a year ago?

15. Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff

No, it's the reporter and his wife. It's in regards to an assault on the media involving an air horn.

16. Hoagie

Hoagie I suggest you tread lightly
    Wackbag Staff

He shoulda used characters. Like Mr. I....

Oh wait....

17. Sprite

Sprite permanent case of the Moooondays

$4 mill? WTF. There's got to be some disclaimer in the advertising contract wherein it states something to the effect of that during a live read the jock may and can deviate from the script as well as poke fun at something to do with the product or service. Besides, don't these cunts realize that Imus interjecting some sarcastic humor into the read (thus talking MORE about it) draws more attention to their stupid fucking product? Ugh.

18. GoldenOne

GoldenOne Registered User

+1

It really is too bad what they have done to his show. He was forced to take on these unfunny balloons as a part of his show and has lost all chemistry with his on-air partners. Half the time I feel like I am listening to the WFAN Ebonics show "Sports on Wax" that lasted all of 6 months.

19. Hog's Big Ben

Hog's Big Ben Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
    Donator

The Smoking Gun has the complaint and audio of the first read where he "trashed" the company. They claim Imus was not to alter the ad copy at all. From reading through the complaint, their legal representation doesn't know the difference between "buy" and "by", so I'm guessing they're not the smartest fellas.

They also claim they sought out Imus because of his reputation for promoting books. Yeah, ya fucking morons - he promotes books that he reads and books whose authors come in to plug them. Not signed copies of the Warren Commission. Christ almighty. They got what they paid for. I hope this lawsuit dies and costs Flatsigned.com a hefty sum in the process.

20. cokelogic

cokelogic 5th Mic

Could have been worse. Think of what he might have said if he did a live read for Popeye's Chicken.

21. Plunkies

Plunkies Registered User

"Now that he's flat-lined, you go to flatsigned.com."

Heh, c'mon that's a pretty good line.

22. Cunt Smasher

Cunt Smasher Caligula Jr.

Imus being sued

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/0124081ford1.html

JANUARY 24--A Tennessee company is suing Don Imus for $4 million after the radio host allegedly disparaged the firm last year while reading its commercials on his show. FlatSigned Press alleges that Imus made snide comments about the company as he read spots advertising its sale of copies of the Warren Commission report signed by President Gerald Ford, a member of the government panel that investigated the John F. Kennedy assassination. The January 2007 radio spots aired one month after Ford's death. The timing of the ads, it seems, prompted Imus to remark that FlatSigned--which sells autographed and collectible books--were "bastards" who waited for Ford "to croak so they could unload these." He then added, "Now that he's flat-lined, you go to flatsigned.com." [Click here to listen to one of Imus's FlatSigned spots.] Imus repeated similar sentiments in other live commercials, remarking, "This has gotta be a joke." FlatSigned paid about $5000 for the spots, which directed listeners to its web site, where the limited edition Ford volume (which sold for upwards of $900) could be ordered. In its January 23 New York State Supreme Court lawsuit, an excerpt of which you'll find below, FlatSigned charges that it was damaged by Imus's refusal to read its ad copy verbatim. In addition to Imus, the company is suing Infinity Broadcasting, for whom Imus worked until last April, when he was fired for making offensive comments about the Rutgers women's basketball team. (6 pages)

23. HummerTuesdays

HummerTuesdays Another girrrrl!!!

I'd like to see the company's financials before & after the alleged slight to the company. Unless they can prove that Imus cost them sales, they shouldn't be entitiled to anything. At the very WORST they shouldn't have to pay for the radio spots. But to sue for damanges? They better have some proof.

24. Vyce

Vyce Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.

Oh Jesus Christ.

"LEAVE IMUS ALONE!!!"

25. shimrra

shimrra Hello Ladies

wtf just leave him alone the guy is going to die any time now look at him he looks like death is just sitting there just saying any day now.