In-store game exchanges

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
So I went to Target, Circuit City, and Gamestop with a brand new sealed up copy of NBA Live 2008 in hopes of exchanging for another game. All 3 stores would not let me do it without a receipt. Seems times are changing. I really wanna exchange this and the difference for Rainbow Six Vegas 2. Anyone got any ideas of where I might have a better chance of getting this done?

Large Marge

Feb 20, 2008
They wont even give you store credit? seems strange... I can't think of anywhere else... you might have to ebay it.

blinkdmb

Jan 12, 2005
Around here Walmart doesn't give a fuck, they will take it back for a giftcard all you need is your license

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
So you're trying to return a game to a store that you didn't buy it from? Is that what you're trying to say?

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
^^^ Basically, yes. Thing is it's not some type of scam. The game is totally new. Wrapped in cellophane, and has the original factory microsoft authenticity seals under it. I just want to exchange it for another game. No store credit involved.

PDX909

May 12, 2007
Portland, OR
I think I heard that Best Buy takes things back but charge a 15% re-stocking fee.. can't swear to it though, never get anything from BB these days.

NotSoFast

Apr 23, 2006
Thibodaux, LA USA
^^^ Basically, yes. Thing is it's not some type of scam. The game is totally new. Wrapped in cellophane, and has the original factory microsoft authenticity seals under it. I just want to exchange it for another game. No store credit involved.
Get the store credit. Use said credit to purchase the game you want. What's so fucking wrong with that?

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
Any schmoe can get a shrink-wrap machine... Just sayin.

how about the microsoft sticker?:icon_neut

Get the store credit. Use said credit to purchase the game you want. What's so fucking wrong with that?
Maybe I didn't make it clear enough above, but thats what I'm trying to do. All I want is another game that interests me for the brand new unopened game that I wouldn't play for free.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
If you didn't buy it from the store it's a scam.

Sell it on craigslist and pay the difference for the game you want. No hassles then. Thats a new game, i'm sure someone would buy it for close to retail.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Where did you get the game? Someone give it to you? Perhaps you can find out were they got it and try there.

Software is a bitch to return, rightfully so. Even if it's sealed, there are so many ways around that most stores won't let you return shit.

But if you insist on ripping off a store, Wal Mart is probably the most lenient on their returns.

And before someone says something about me using the term ripping off, thats what it is. Almost every store will not put software back on the shelf due to abuse of the system. So they return it to the vendor and take a loss on it. Same thing would happen if you tried to return a package of underwear that had been opened. I'm hardly the one to give any morals lessons here, I'm just explaining why no one will take your pre purchased software from you.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
Where did you get the game? Someone give it to you? Perhaps you can find out were they got it and try there.

Software is a bitch to return, rightfully so. Even if it's sealed, there are so many ways around that most stores won't let you return shit.

But if you insist on ripping off a store, Wal Mart is probably the most lenient on their returns.

And before someone says something about me using the term ripping off, thats what it is. Almost every store will not put software back on the shelf due to abuse of the system. So they return it to the vendor and take a loss on it. Same thing would happen if you tried to return a package of underwear that had been opened. I'm hardly the one to give any morals lessons here, I'm just explaining why no one will take your pre purchased software from you.
Working in retail, I (offhand) dont know of any retailer whos official company policy is ZERO exchanges on unopened software or games. Fuck, i work for one of the big office supply stores, and if its sealed we will take it back ANY time, no reciept needed, so long as wel still sell that product in the store. No recpiept means you get credit for whatever it sells for then, but we wont turn it away. Same goes for every other retailer I know of.

In your example, the key phrase is "had been opened". Yes, any idiot can get a shrink wrap machine, but its hard to fake or redo the seals on a game. Sounds like to me the retailers are dicking him around.

Finally, echo x2: WAL-MART.

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
Same thing would happen if you tried to return a package of underwear that had been opened.
I completely agree with your analogy, but it's irrelevant to this situation, as "my package of underwear" has never been opened... as said several times already. Maybe you think I'm lying, though I can't understand why. It would serve no purpose on this board. I'd be better off asking how to try and get rid of open software if that were the case. Bottom line is that my wife bought it as a christmas gift for a friend of her cousins, never saw him, and just let me have it after the fact. I never opened it because to be honest, basketball doesn't do it for me in real life, let alone a game. There is no scam here. I'm only asking a store to give me a game of my choice for an unused, unopened game, plus the difference in money. Hell... I'll even pay a restocking fee on top of $20 for the newer game.

Gonna try walmart tomorrow.

SpecialEd

Homeless Guy
Oct 4, 2004
Philly
again... walmart, they take everything back. my friend just exchanged a game last week. one time i bought a mirror there, brought it home, broke it, and took it back no problem. gotta love walmart

Cybouncer

Not Fat, Big Boned!
Feb 26, 2006
Long Island, NY
Most stores won't take it back for a couple of reasons.

1) As was said earlier. It's real easy to have a heat gun & Shrink Wrap. I understand you didn't do this but many do and that's why they're leary to bend the rules.
2) Copyright laws: If you had opened it, played or copied it (Software), then just returned it, then it's a copyright violation. No big deal for you but when you multiply that by the thousands that would do it if the policy weren't in place, it could literally put a store out of business. Many stores make jack shit on the games themselves anyway. All the money is on the accessories.
3)THEFT: Probably the most likely reason many stores won't take it back. What's to stop someone from comming in with a "Booster Bag" (Bag lined with foil to trick the sensors), loading it up with games, then try and return them for credit the next day or at another location. It's very common as anyone who lives in Brooklyn can attest too.

Ask to see the Manager and explain your deal to them. I used to take care of cases like you all the time but my gut reaction was always to say no at first.

Good luck.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
how about the microsoft sticker?:icon_neut
Good point. That's the one thing the software counterfeitters haven't been able to figure out despite all of today's technological advances, how to duplicate a sticker. :icon_roll

jimmyjimjimz

Wackbag's version of The Miz
Aug 12, 2005
Rockaway Beach, NYC
Try Toys R Us. Or Home Depot. Home Depot took back car tires, even though they never sold them. Toys R Us will probably give you Jeffrey money, I don't know if they still have Jeffrey money, but if they do, that's what they'll do. My mom returned a shitload of shit @ Toys R Us once when I was younger, and she got like $150 in Jeffrey Money. (Jeffrey is that giraffe mascot of Toys R Us)

TrainableHoward

I thought Chris Hanson was really funny on O&A....
Dec 9, 2005
NH
I'd go the walmart route. Wally world is getting my 360 back if and when it shits the bed. I saved the box and receipt for this eventuality.
Give us an update, I'm curious to see if they're still as lenient about returns as they've always been. Pending the arrival of my red ring of death, they'll either exchange the 360 for a new one, or wear it as a fucking hat.

BravoSierra

Why do people keep calling me?
Jun 27, 2005
Berkeley, CA
Wal-Mart is awesome when it comes to this. I "bought" a Nintendo Gamecube there a few years back because I didn't have the money to get a PS2. So I played the crap out of the Gamecube for a month, saved the extra money, returned the Gamecube and got the PS2. I basically rented that thing for free.

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
Ended up getting it done at Walmart. I had to go to two different stores though. The first one gave me the same line as every other place, but the second one let me trade up with no problems. Now it's on to killing some vegas terrorists. =D