In Your Opinion: The Best Actor/Actress Working Today?

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
My vote:

Not just because I'm a huge BB fan, but because this guy is truly amazing at what he does.

Of course, there is also the obvious Daniel Day Lewis.

Want to know something sad? Ten years ago I would have said Jim Carrey.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Sad because you were juvenile or sad because he hasn't lived up to his potential?

Best actor, I need to think about that. Best actress, as far as the young ones go Michelle Williams is definitely up there.

Fustercluck

Jul 25, 2005
FEMA Region 9
Katey Sagal for three amazing and vastly different and entertaining characters

jagsfans

Dec 26, 2005
Jacksonville FL
Agreed Daniel Day Lewis is an obvious answer. Michael Fassbender based on consistency of work is my pick. Meryl Streep is the obvious pick for Actress. However, I'm going with Natalie Portman from The Professional to V for Vendetta and now Black Swan I think she has the most potential going forward.

ShooterMcGavin

May 25, 2005
Sad because you were juvenile or sad because he hasn't lived up to his potential?
Probably a bit of both. The guy has some amazing talent but he has wasted it in recent years.

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective still makes me fucking howl every time.

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004
I'll throw in Gary Oldman. Seems like DDL, he could play anything.

Sep 23, 2004
I'll throw in Kate Winslett for actress. An actor I am really enjoying is Ryan Gosling. I even like that Fracture movie he was in.

Sep 23, 2004
I just find him to be one of those cliche heartthrob actors that is very overrated.
I can see that angle. I just watched Drive. I enjoyed the film as a whole, I loved the style and the atmosphere and the score. I didn't think he was amazing. I think that's a role where the character is bigger than the actor in some sense.

I do think Ryan Gosling's "killer movie" is Blue Valentine. I also liked Half Nelson.

Maybe he's not like Daniel Day Lewis or even Gary Oldman, but honestly, if you look up his filmography, he hasn't done a lot of shitty movies. He's been really consistent. I don't quite view him like a Tom Cruise.

Off topic, I feel like Brad Pitt is a heartthrob whose career I really respect and have enjoyed.

Dec 12, 2007

Even if hes in a badly written film I can still enjoy it if hes part of it.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Winslet is a good choice for actress, and Blue Valentine was the movie that got me on the Gosling train and contained one of Williams' best roles.

Anyway, I figured out who'd I pick for best actor, and I think he'll be a controversial choice but hear me out. He's equally good in dramatic, comedic, and weird roles, brings the same talent to television as he does film, and he has a filmography of both really popular and really cult films.

It's Will Ferrell.

Just kidding, it's John Goodman. And if you think of the stuff he's done, even the bad stuff, he's still pretty good in it. And I know, he might not have the showiness of a Daniel Day Lewis or a Robert Duvall (whom I consider the best remaining of the 1970s stars), but I like an actor with a lot of variety in his work.

ShooterMcGavin

May 25, 2005
I can get on board with Goodman. Not as the best working today but as an underrated talent.

He falls under the same category as Dan Akroyd for me. Not many great movies, but great at the roles they play.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
However, I'm going with Natalie Portman from The Professional to V for Vendetta and now Black Swan I think she has the most potential going forward.
I'm sorry, she doesn't get a pass for the Star Wars films.

For Male actor, I'd go with Colin Firth. Female is tougher. I guess I'd go with Kate Winslet over Michelle Williams due to my complete inability to believe Williams as Marilyn Monroe.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Why? The Wickerman is a great movie, besides what does Nicholas Cage have to do with The Wickerman anyway?
Looks like someone didn't see the remake, which has surpassed "The Room" as my best worst movie of all time.

[yt]d4MqTCIDKhU[/yt]

[yt]v_mW8mBzmHo[/yt]