Indian woman dies in jail during hunger strike after arrest from ignoring jury duty

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Indian-origin woman dies in US jail after 15-day hunger strike

Chicago, Jan 28 (PTI)

An Indian-origin woman, who was being held at a Chicago jail for allegedly failing to show up for jury duty, has died in custody after a 15-day hunger strike.

52-year-old Lyvita Gomes, a former airline trainer for Delta Airlines, died in Lake County jail on January 3, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Funeral arrangements for Gomes, which have now been fixed, were earlier delayed until her relatives arrived from the United Kingdom this weekend, Alfredo Miranda, owner of Miranda Funeral Services, was quoted as saying.

Gomes, a native of Goa, was held after she ignored a jury summons last summer.

As a non-citizen, she was not even eligible to serve on a jury, but ignoring the summons started a chain of events that brought her to the Lake County Jail in December.

She was charged with resisting arrest in October after a deputy showed up at her door as ordered by a judge so that she could explain her absence.

Federal immigration officials said Gomes got a US visa in 2004, and her friends said she moved to Atlanta to work at Delta headquarters.

But there, one former co-worker said, she began to show signs of mental instability.

Gomes, who lived in a Vernon Hills Hotel for the last two years, did not show up for two more court hearings, and once again a judge ordered her arrest.

On December 14, Vernon Hills police brought her to the County Jail.After he medical staff determined on December 29 that Gomes' life was in danger, she was transferred to Waukegan's Vista Medical Center East, where she died five days later.

Representatives of Lake County United, a coalition of religious institutions that works on social justice issues, are questioning Gomes' treatment.

In consultation with Gomes' brother Oydsteven Gomes, they have sought information about everything from her medical care to the rationale behind her jury duty arrest, the paper said.

Gomes grew up in a suburb of Mumbai, and her brother described her as optimistic, helpful and high-achieving. She studied biochemistry and education in college, wrote a math textbook and took a job as a Pan Am flight attendant in 1986.

Oydsteven Gomes, who lives in India, said in an email: "I do not know if this is .. a failure of the prison system or a careless culture and attitude towards individuals whatever their circumstance. I do not wish (the inquiry) to be a matter of reprisals but more a matter of learning the truth so that attitudes can change."

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/222654/indian-origin-woman-dies-us.html
I guess going 15 days without food can make you sikh...:icon_cool

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
I guess going 15 days without food can make you sikh...:icon_cool
First, let me say this: :haha7: :haha7:

Why the hell would she ignore an order to show up for jury duty?? Nothing pisses off judges faster then ignoring them. Had she done 10 seconds of research she would have seen that she was ineligible for jury duty. The to top it off she gets stupid with the deputy that was their to enforce what I'm sure was a bench warrant. The judge would have likely chewed her ass for a minute, then dismissed her from jury duty....but no, dummy has to fight the deputy, then goes on a hunger strike.

I think a "time served" and a small fine could have kept this from happening.

Fustercluck

Jul 25, 2005
FEMA Region 9
maybe she had one black parent and got a sudden case of the sikhlecell.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Her own damn fault. When working with the court system you have to be sure to dot your eyes.

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
She showed them.

and I broke the chain..

everyone loses.

Atomic Fireball

Donator
Jul 26, 2005
Vishnu with the court system that they can jail a foreigner for ignoring a summons?
Ouch

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
Jail is the only threat that works when it comes to jury duty. You would never be able to have a jury if there wasn't some teeth in the penalty for ignoring the summons. The fact that she was foreign has nothing to do with ignoring the summons. She had been living and working here, and could have simply brought in her green card/work visa to show the courts.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
i cant decide who the bigger asshole is, the holier than thou judge or the crazy woman that went on a hunger strike.

steve500

Oct 20, 2008
35,000 ft
So will the new trainer allow them to give me the whole damn can of Ginger Ale?

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
i cant decide who the bigger asshole is, the holier than thou judge or the crazy woman that went on a hunger strike.
I actually say the prison personnel are the assholes here. If she was on a hunger she should have been admitted to the prison hospital ward for treatment and counseling. The judge was doing his job, and she had ignored him before, that's a huge no-no.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
I actually say the prison personnel are the assholes here. If she was on a hunger she should have been admitted to the prison hospital ward for treatment and counseling. The judge was doing his job, and she had ignored him before, that's a huge no-no.
i have an issue with "authority figures" ;)

caniseeyourtaint

Passive agressive douche
Feb 26, 2004
Ocean County, NJ
Why the hell would she ignore an order to show up for jury duty?? Nothing pisses off judges faster then ignoring them. Had she done 10 seconds of research she would have seen that she was ineligible for jury duty. The to top it off she gets stupid with the deputy that was their to enforce what I'm sure was a bench warrant. The judge would have likely chewed her ass for a minute, then dismissed her from jury duty....but no, dummy has to fight the deputy, then goes on a hunger strike.

I think a "time served" and a small fine could have kept this from happening.
This could have had something to do with her ignoring the summons and getting stupid:
Federal immigration officials said Gomes got a US visa in 2004, and her friends said she moved to Atlanta to work at Delta headquarters.

But there, one former co-worker said, she began to show signs of mental instability.

Mags

LDAR king
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
Jail is the only threat that works when it comes to jury duty. You would never be able to have a jury if there wasn't some teeth in the penalty for ignoring the summons. The fact that she was foreign has nothing to do with ignoring the summons. She had been living and working here, and could have simply brought in her green card/work visa to show the courts.
Guess what happens in NYC if you ignore a jury summons?

Nothing. Nobody would ever show up at your door. Why didn't she jsut say she never got a summons? In NYC they come delivered by regular mail. You don't have to sign for it so, "I never got it."