Indy Wrestling Promotion Thread (Non-ROH)

TheICON

Showstopper, Main Eventer
Jul 20, 2005
Bronx, NY
Holy shit, a year ago, I never would have imagined ANYONE talking about Chikara here. But to the guy who claims he is a wrestler and Chikara is bad, tell me, is this why Ring of Honor has begun booking Chikara regulars? Is this why people from Chikara are working for FIP in Flordia, PWG in California, and working pretty much around the world at this point?

Chikara is the place that brought us Larry Sweeney, Eddie Kingston, Jigsaw, and the original place to find the Kings of Wrestling. It's laughable that you consider this a bad thing, when any guy who can sell enough tickets will be booked on a battle royal on some shit indy show in Queens or Long Island. At least Chikara teaches its students not only how to work properly, but to entertain a crowd (not teach them just how to bump and put them in front of a crowd). It's a fine alternative to the crap you see at CZW, or the stiff-fest at ROH, or even the garbage that TNA poses as wrestling. Get off your fucking high horse.

Chikara isn't meant at all to be WWE, or anything like it. They're wacky lucha-libre characters, and the people who go to the shows are a breed like none I have ever seen. When I heard what one of the Los Ice Creams was going to do during his match, I laughed in his face, called him crazy... and when he pulled out a sock and emptied out a bunch of sprinkles in the ring (to mock the many thumbtack spots you see now), I was shocked when I saw the crowd act as if he had just done the unthinkable. And when he finally powerbombed Retail Dragon on the sprinkles, the crowd reaction was amazing. It doesn't ALL have to be about light tubes, and generic wrestler 1 vs. generic wrestler 2 in generic tights with some Guns N Roses theme music for both guys.

And believe me, if you think that what you saw is ALL Chikara has to offer, you're sadly mistaken. But then again, you're a worker right? I'll bet my fucking car that you would be the first guy to send in a tape and try to get work for them if it meant you could get some exposure for yourself. Oh yeah, they're bad for the business though. Let's keep watching WWE make a mockery of wrestling like Chikara couldn't even remotely attempt to do, douchebag. :icon_roll

Kid Brock

No longer VegasBrock
Jul 26, 2005
Las Vegas
Well written bro. Welcome to the thread I have been kind of lonely in here lately.

TheICON

Jul 20, 2005
Bronx, NY
Well written bro. Welcome to the thread I have been kind of lonely in here lately.
Danke. Been following Chikara since the 2nd class (Jigsaw, Kingston, Marciano, Akuma) graduated. I hate to read misconceptions of the promotion, when it clearly offers something for almost everyone who watches it. I've been more of a lurker the past few months. Looking to get back in the swing of things. =]

D

DanApache

Its a mockery. Entertaining, and funny? Yes, absolutly. But that stuff shouldnt be done in front of a crowd. During some practice sessions me and some others will throw some dumb slow motion stuff in, but it shouldnt be done in front of a live audience (just my opinion..)
Wrestling is entertainment. People go to see wrestling, especially CHIKARA, not to see a legit sport that all looks real, but to see some fun action. CHIKARA is a promotion that offers you all sorts, be it serious matches like Quackenbush, Hero and Claudio in various combinations, and also comedy, such as the clip before. It's that mixture that's helping CHIKARA grow, so obviously they're doing something right.

This post reminds me of a retarded thread on WrestlingClassics when all these old geezers were whining and moaning because of the slow motion wrestling, saying it "exposes the business". The business has been exposed for years.

TheICON

Jul 20, 2005
Bronx, NY
Wrestling is entertainment. People go to see wrestling, especially CHIKARA, not to see a legit sport that all looks real, but to see some fun action. CHIKARA is a promotion that offers you all sorts, be it serious matches like Quackenbush, Hero and Claudio in various combinations, and also comedy, such as the clip before. It's that mixture that's helping CHIKARA grow, so obviously they're doing something right.

This post reminds me of a retarded thread on WrestlingClassics when all these old geezers were whining and moaning because of the slow motion wrestling, saying it "exposes the business". The business has been exposed for years.
Couldn't have said the first paragraph better myself... But I wouldn't compare it to "exposing" the business. You do have guys like Kingston and Hero that carry their fued to just about every promotion they go to, and seem as if they're living this hatred for one another.. But then you'll have comedy spots like the Ice Creams and Crabtree. It's a happy medium for everyone. But the thing about exposing, I don't know.. Just because we know it's not... real, doesn't mean that we don't get lost in the moment while in a crowd. After all, no one would go to movies, watch TV, or attend wrestling shows if that were the case. It tells a story, and for that short period of time, no matter how ridiculious the antics might be, the crowd still eats it up, and to a major degree, will go with it. It's a tremendous help to those putting on the show that the crowd will pretty much sell the things that in other promotions, crowds would shit all over. Chikara is very much unique in both product and its fan base, as far as that goes.

Standby

Better Than [you]
Wackbag Staff
Sep 8, 2005
Arlington, VA
"Demolition" and One Man Gang added to the CHIKARA "King Of Trios" event
This is apparently NOT a joke, as messing with the links of the pictures can bring up some fake and funny trios. Team Batman and Team R.E.M. were two, and I guess people thought Demolition/OMG were a joke.

They are not, apparently. Demolition are doing some indy shows.

Also announced at this afternoon's CHIKARA show, "Two Eyebrows Are Better Than One", is that Kaiju Big Battel's faction The Sea Amigos will enter into the King of Trios tournament.

Sea Amigos vs. Neo Solar Temple FTW...

Kid Brock

No longer VegasBrock
Jul 26, 2005
Las Vegas
Got to love a "strut off" between Colt Cabana and Larry Sweeney.

[YT]yH6Z-i_sPt4&NR=1[/YT]

Kid Brock

No longer VegasBrock
Jul 26, 2005
Las Vegas
Felt like bringing this old thread back from the dead.

[YT]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5iIFlgG5lx4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5iIFlgG5lx4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YT]

[YT]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zVa49EwJj0w&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zVa49EwJj0w&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YT]

Kid Brock

No longer VegasBrock
Jul 26, 2005
Las Vegas
[YT]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gpd_PXVSkPM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Gpd_PXVSkPM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YT]