Inside Llewyn Davis - New Coen Brothers Movie ?

Poon Slayer

Reissued Regret
Dec 11, 2009
Chattanoogy
http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2011/06/the-coen-brothers-tap-new-york-folk-scene-for-next.html

Earlier this month, the Coen brothers told an audience at New York’s Lincoln Center that their next film would be music-related, but the duo responsible for quirky flicks including Fargo and last year’s True Grit didn’t offer any specifics.

Now, the LA Times is reporting that the project will take place in Greenwich Village’s blossoming folk scene during the mid-20th century. A source close to the film’s development says that the script is loosely based on the life of Dave Van Ronk, a legendary musician who was highly influential during the days when an impressive roster of young musicians, including Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell, got their start in neighborhood coffee houses.

Three years after his death in 2002 at the age of 66, Van Ronk published a posthumous memoir called The Mayor of MacDougal Street_, which is rumored to be incorporated into the film.

At their Lincoln Center talk, the Coens compared the new movie to Margot at the Wedding and explained that they also expected the film to feature musical performances saying, “We’re working on a movie now that has music in it [that’s] pretty much all performed live, single instrument.”

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Sweet.

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island

I like how they're going outside their usual visual style, and making an entire movie that looks like the cover of The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
My favorite filmmaker(s) working today.

I also like how they're continuing to do period pieces about pretty much every decade.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I didn't call you a fool for confusing the two. Expanding on something I said earlier, when it comes to directors whose projects I'm interested in, I think Coen Brothers would be first, Paul Thomas Anderson second (and yes, I know your and everyone's problems with The Master and I'm not going to be like "how dare you complain that a movie didn't have a plot or character development," but I thought there was so much about that movie that was remarkable in ways very few movies come close to). Quentin Tarantino and Lars Von Trier are probably 3 and 4. And I need to think of who'd be #5 because it's not about directors whose movies you want to see, it's about being curious about the next step in a director's evolution.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Yep. This is one I'm gonna like.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
I didn't call you a fool for confusing the two. Expanding on something I said earlier, when it comes to directors whose projects I'm interested in, I think Coen Brothers would be first, Paul Thomas Anderson second (and yes, I know your and everyone's problems with The Master and I'm not going to be like "how dare you complain that a movie didn't have a plot or character development," but I thought there was so much about that movie that was remarkable in ways very few movies come close to). Quentin Tarantino and Lars Von Trier are probably 3 and 4. And I need to think of who'd be #5 because it's not about directors whose movies you want to see, it's about being curious about the next step in a director's evolution.
I'd go with Takashi Miike at five (based on 13 Samurai, which was way better than anything he's done before), and Mel Gibson right behind him. I have high hopes for him. There's also Aronoffsky, Kathryn Bigelow, and Werner Hertzog (even in his seventies, he's more likely to come up with something new than most young directors)

The two that would usually make the most interesting lists but fucked it all up by becoming predictable are Guillermo del Toro and David Fincher.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I'd go with Takashi Miike at five (based on 13 Samurai, which was way better than anything he's done before), and Mel Gibson right behind him. I have high hopes for him. There's also Aronoffsky, Kathryn Bigelow, and Werner Hertzog (even in his seventies, he's more likely to come up with something new than most young directors)

The two that would usually make the most interesting lists but fucked it all up by becoming predictable are Guillermo del Toro and David Fincher.
Miike impressed me with 13 Samurai too and I'm usually not a fan of his work. Most of them come across as too goofy for me, but Samurai is a genuinely solid, mature film. Aronofsky's a good choice. As is Herzog.

I agree about Fincher. I like his movies, but I can't say I'm particularly enthusiastic about his projects.

And I still want to know who Alex Proyas pissed off.

God Loves Fags

A clear and dusty day in June
Feb 1, 2011
Brooklyn
This is fucking great. I LOVE that you can watch a full season all at once. Netflix is the best. Waiting a week between episodes is ridiculous and will definitely be phased out soon. With this and Arrested Development coming out this year, I'd say Netflix is already right up there with the HBO/Showtime/AMC/FX level.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
This is fucking great. I LOVE that you can watch a full season all at once. Netflix is the best. Waiting a week between episodes is ridiculous and will definitely be phased out soon. With this and Arrested Development coming out this year, I'd say Netflix is already right up there with the HBO/Showtime/AMC/FX level.
What does this have to do with anything?

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Won the Grand Prix (second place) at Cannes after a French movie about lesbians. Screw Scorcese, they are the best living director.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005

Also can SOS, Ballbuster1 or another mod change the thread title to Inside Llewyn Davis - New Coen Brothers Movie ?

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
New Trailer

Now I just need a Zero Theorem trailer so I can say definitively that there are no other movies I'm looking more forward to this year.

freddyfox

May 19, 2009
Albuquerque
Anyone see Inside Llewyn Davis yet? If so, your thoughts? I just dl'd it tonight but I gotta wait until tomorrow evening to watch it. I'll post a follow-up then.

freddyfox

May 19, 2009
Albuquerque
Just finished watching this movie. I have mixed feelings about it. After hearing Ronnie B and Pepper Hicks rave about it I was expecting it to be one of the best Coen Brothers films. Not so. It's a low-key, dark, cold, and awkwardly funny film. None of the characters are likeable. The film follows the misadventures of Llewyn Davis who is a narcissistic and wishy washy aspiring folk musician in early 60s NYC. The mood of this movie gets even more dreary and weird around the halfway mark when John Goodman's character is introduced. I didn't fully understand who was the strange man in the alley who assaults Llewyn in the begining and ending of the movie. I also didn't understand the "Ulysses" reference. Although Inside Llewyn Davis isn't nearly as good or quotable as Fargo or Big Lebowski it's also not as bad as The Ladykillers. It's just ok.