OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Install Ubuntu 64 or Keep Vista?

Discussion in 'Computer and Console Gaming' started by 6DollarDrunk, Jun 21, 2007.

1. 6DollarDrunk

6DollarDrunk Put baby in container with snake

I have a secondary drive with "free" copy of Vista (32 bit) Ultimate. I like aero but don't like how its a memory how. I have 1 gig of ram and after start up it takes up abut 45% of it. So, I got some windows themes for XP that looks like Aero. But thats beside the point.

I have an AMD 64 3000+ that haven't really used. Meaning that I haven't used a 64 bit OS. Since I'm not really thrilled with vista I don't thin it would be worth to get vista 64 but, I would like see if I can get more out of my computer with a 64 bit OS. After reading on it the best linux for me would be Ubuntu which happens to have a 64 bit version. I mainly use my computer for the internet, gaming, study software and photoshop/flash stuff. So, is it worth for me to format the drive and put on the 64 bit Linux or just leave vista on there and forget about it?

2. xzi

xzi Registered User

The *ONLY* reason to run a 64-bit OS is to address more than 2GBs of RAM. It WILL be slower.

3. Deadbent

Deadbent You can go fuck.

Not gonna comment on the aforementioned statement, but I will say if you've any experience with linux, ubuntu and all it's tweaks make for a good o/s and enjoyable user experience for a secondary pc.

It's just a pain to configure, and get it looking cool.

4. martianvirus

martianvirus READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!

I'm runing 64bit vista and love it. Had 32 bit on my computer, and like the 64 bit better. Things just run a little smoother. And Aero uses more of you graphics card then ram. You might want to get a better graphics card.

5. 6DollarDrunk

I have an nvidia 6600XT 512 mb. I'm limited because my computer is about 3 years old. Back when AGP was all the rage. So, thats about the biggest card I can get with out dropping 1/2 the price of a new computer.

I liked linux when I had way back when. But got rid of it because I couldn't play the games I wanted in it. And wine wasn't able to handle them. I actually wanted OpenBSD again but they don't make a 64 bit. And I'd really like to fiddle around with a 64 bit and see if I can a little more out of this box.

6. martianvirus

martianvirus READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!

Why not just get more ram?

7. poopiebottoms

poopiebottoms Sparkling Wiggles Lover

It really depends on what you're going to use it for.

You could always try a dual-boot set-up. There is a great Wiki for setting that up that you can reach through the ubuntu site.

If you like to "fiddle" with your computer, it will be a lot of fun.

8. 6DollarDrunk

because Ubuntu is free.

I'm bored and I want to mess around with my comp. Plus I have this 64 bit cpu so I want to see if I can get more out of than a 32 bit XP. If I cant, oh well. If I can cool. I've always played around with OS's. I've gone thru most of the types, from windows to linux to bsd to solaris. I was forced to use a mac in a college class and to fix my sisters old comp. She thought macs were better, at one point.

I think go give the Ubuntu a try. I don't have much on the vista. Its pretty close to a fresh install. So I wont miss any files in there and I can always use the drive for something else if I dont like ubuntu.

thanks for the advice everyone

9. 6DollarDrunk

omg .. ubuntu is fucking annoying. Stupid security shit like no su or admin log in. What a pain. "if hackers ..." fucking leave it up to me. geez ... they're really starting to dumb down linux. I'm going to try Fedora for the 64. I think someone mentioned that.

10. GonzoRadio

GonzoRadio I like yoguuuuuurt

I'll try to address all of your concerns and questions:
    1. While task manager may be saying that 45% of RAM is being "used," it isn't necessarily being actively used. Vista has a newer (and better) memory model than XP; it is a bit like the Linux model (arguably better, but i won't go there) in that it takes up as much UNUSED RAM as possible, for the sole purpose of already having things in memory BEFORE they need to be in memory. Why? Because RAM is a few orders of magnitude faster than disk, so by actively fetching what you might (and presumably will) use in the near future, your experience should be better. The idea is that the memory is currently not being used anyway (and unused memory is wasted memory),so why not use it in the hopes of loading something you might need in the near future in order to make your experience a bit better? That said; RAM is cheap, if you think 1GB isn't enough, it won't cost much to double your RAM.

2. The real advantage of 64b is the ability to access a larger memory space than 4GB (2GB for user space memory in the Windows world). There are performance advantages in performing some math operations, however. In an ideal world, 64b Windows would perform slightly better than 32b Windows. However, from my understanding there are many more drivers for 32b Vista than 64b Vista (I haven't confirmed this), so it may not be worth the headache of using the 64b version.

3. As for Linux... I still can't understand the appeal of Ubuntu. I really don't see the "ease of use" advantage over Fedora Core, and I really do like FC's layout much better than Ubuntu (FC is the open source version of Red Hat). Maybe its just me, I don't know.

11. 6DollarDrunk

Yeah, I noticed this. Well, not as perfectly as you put it. But I notice certain things seem to open quicker and vista seems to unload memory better. Like for example (i use the sidebar cpu/mem gadget for ivsta/xp to check things) in vista it will go back to about the same percentage after I close programs. Where xp seems to still hang onto a few percentage points more each time.

I didn't have a problem with drivers. The only one I needed was for my graphics card which nvidia already had a driver for. The downside was finding 64 bit programs. 32 bit ones run but at 32 bit speed.

Yeah, my above post shows my displeasure with ubuntu. I'm going to install fedora 7 today and give that a show.