Interesting Quotes

Foggy

all mayo is actually my cum
Donator
Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare currunt.
Those who cross the sea change their sky, not their souls.

- Horace

Lord Zero

"War is the health of the State. It automatically sets in motion throughout society those irresistible forces for uniformity, for passionate cooperation with the Government in coercing into obedience the minority groups and individuals which lack the larger herd sense. The machinery of government sets and enforces the drastic penalties. The minorities are either intimidated into silence, or brought slowly around by subtle process of persuasion which may seem to them really to be converting them. Of course, the ideal of perfect loyalty, perfect uniformity is never really attained. The classes upon whom the amateur work of coercion falls are unwearied in their zeal, but often their agitation, instead of converting merely serves to stiffen their resistance. Minorities are rendered sullen, and some intellectual opinion bitter and satirical. But in general, the nation in wartime attains a uniformity of feeling, a hierarchy of values culminating at the undisputed apex of the State ideal, which could not possibly be produced through any other agency than war."

— Randolph Bourne

Chip Spackler

Donator
On October 14, 1912, Teddy Roosevelt was about to give a speech at a campaign stop when a man shot him in the chest. After checking his mouth and verifying the bullet had not pierced his lung, he raised his hand to hush the crowd and said, "Friends I shall ask you to be as quiet as possible. I don't know whether you fully understand that I've just been shot. It takes more than that to kill a bull moose... The bullet is in me now, so that I cannot make a long speech, but I will try my best."

His speech was 90 minutes.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
On October 14, 1912, Teddy Roosevelt was about to give a speech at a campaign stop when a man shot him in the chest. After checking his mouth and verifying the bullet had not pierced his lung, he raised his hand to hush the crowd and said, "Friends I shall ask you to be as quiet as possible. I don't know whether you fully understand that I've just been shot. It takes more than that to kill a bull moose... The bullet is in me now, so that I cannot make a long speech, but I will try my best."

His speech was 90 minutes.

Lord Zero

"Little girls must not be tomboyish, must not go barefoot, must not climb trees, must not learn to swim, must not do anything they desire to do which Madame Grundy has decreed 'improper.' Little boys are laughed at as effeminate, silly girl-boys if they want to make patchwork or play with a doll. Then when they grow up, 'Oh! Men don’t care for home or children as women do!' Why should they, when the deliberate effort of your life has been to crush that nature out of them. 'Women can’t rough it like men.' Train any animal, or any plant, as you train your girls, and it won’t be able to rough it either."

— Voltairine de Cleyre, "Sex Slavery" (1890)

Lord Zero

"The desire to command is essentially a barbarous desire."

— Herbert Spencer, Social Statics (1851)

Atomic Fireball

Donator
"I've got a big duty on my shoulders - goddamn seagulls" - Foster Brooks

"If something's not worth doing, it's not worth doing at all" - Foster Brooks

Lord Zero

"Willow Brugh, in a draft paper based on her experiences in Occupy Sandy ('Knowledge Transfer in Networks'), argues that the most important direction is that from below — telling outside organizations where supported is needed and 'keeping [them] out of the way when not wanted.' And the most effective logistical coordination, by far, is that done at the neighborhood level in distribution centers organized by the residents themselves and aid workers on the ground working in direct contact with residents. It’s such self-organized efforts that do the overwhelming bulk of heavy lifting in disasters, regardless of what party’s in power. And sadly, most of the material that’s distributed at the neighborhood level in this way comes from the neighborhood itself, as people scour the area for underutilized resources and donate goods they have a surplus of to the distribution centers.

In New Orleans, as recounted by anarchist aid worker Scott Crow in
Black Flags and Windmills: Hope, Anarchy and the Common Ground Collective, state and local 'authorities' for the most part treated such self-organized neighborhood institutions as the enemy — as potential terrorists, in fact. A neighborhood relief center on the second and third floors of a school, which provided a clinic, food pantry, emergency housing, and school and activities for children, got the full SWAT treatment (complete with 'Down on the floor, motherfucker!') from cops and National Guard troops storming it. 'Authorities' treated the local population, heroically keeping itself alive almost entirely by its own efforts, as an occupied enemy.

If government efforts in Sandy were more effective and less adversarial, it wasn’t because of superior large-scale planning. It was because they listened. They listened, and followed the lead of those below, who informed them — as Brugh said above — of which distribution centers needed what materials, and when the 'authorities' needed to get out of the way.

[...]

Guerrilla forces and networked resistance movements like Al Qaeda Iraq kick the crap out of centralized, capital-intensive superpower military machines for the same reason the file-sharing movement kicked the crap out of the record industry: Hierarchy makes people stupid.

That’s why the smart people in the military colleges came up with Fourth Generation Warfare military doctrine, attempting to duplicate the agility of networked groups like Al Qaeda. Unfortunately for the world’s Sole Remaining Superpower, the military bureaucracy utterly sabotaged this doctrine in the process of adopting it. The Army’s 4GW doctrine envisioned taking advantage of the new possibilities offered by network communications technology to empower tactical commanders on the ground to act on their own initiative, based on their independent access to intelligence, without waiting for approval from higher-ups. But bureaucrats need to be needed; the Army bureaucracy wound up instead taking advantage of the potential of network communications by increasing the number of sign-offs and dotted-line approval tactical commanders were required to get from field-grade commanders before acting. And this approval required the submission of plans ahead of time — plans (I kid you not) that had to be submitted in PowerPoint with very detailed formatting guidelines. So long as managerial hierarchies can interfere with the judgement of those in direct contact with a situation, they will."

— Kevin A. Carson, "How Not to Criticize Spontaneous Order"

Last edited:

Lord Zero

"You don't really need to find out what's going on
You don't really want to know just how far it's gone
Just leave well enough alone
Eat your dirty laundry"

— Don Henley, "Dirty Laundry" - I Can't Stand Still (1982)

Foggy

all mayo is actually my cum
Donator
"You don't really need to find out what's going on
You don't really want to know just how far it's gone
Just leave well enough alone
Eat your dirty laundry"

— Don Henley, "Dirty Laundry" - I Can't Stand Still (1982)
Get over it
Get over it
All this whinin' and cryin' and pitchin' a fit
Get over it, get over it

- The Eagles

Lord Zero

"... monopoly and privilege must be destroyed, opportunity afforded, and competition encouraged. This is Liberty’s work, and 'Down with Authority' her war-cry."

— Benjamin Tucker, Liberty (August 6, 1881)

"... monopoly and privilege must be destroyed, opportunity afforded, and competition encouraged. This is Liberty’s work, and 'Down with Authority' her war-cry."

— Benjamin Tucker, Liberty (August 6, 1881)
And we'll make the Mexicans pay for it.

click

Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.
Nor dare I chide the world without end hour
Whilst I, my sovereign, watch the clock for you
william shakespeare

ChimneyFish

Believe it or not, it's just meeee
"Happiness is a crimson field...littered with the mangled corpses of your enemies."

-Vlad The Impaler

ChimneyFish

"We're so far away from the reality of what it means to survive, and buying into the polarized crap that goes on in the political arena, and also caught up in what you think you deserve. "I deserve free shipping!" You know? It's just so disconnected with real life, and what it takes to survive. And maybe because I grew up on a farm, and maybe because I've done that work and maybe because I live in Arizona, where everything will kill you if you're not aware... maybe I just have a different perspective than most people. Kids that spend all the time on their phone have no idea that it's raining — they have to wipe the water off of their screen to check and see if it's raining on their fucking app!" - Maynard James Keenan

ChimneyFish

"Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb." - Lord Helmet

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” ― Upton Sinclair