Internet connectivity issues

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
So here is my situation. I just moved into a new home, and just got our cable/internet/phone. We are going with that triple play package for the time being. Before we got the package, I had been picking up neighbors signals through our laptops wireless card. We were able to recieve other signals fairly consistently as long as we were outside. Inside the house was a bit different, but only because the neighbors wireless signal was quite weak.

Anyhow, the problem is now that we have our own cable internet connection, I keep having to have to reset (unplug) my router and modem. After that, reboot the PC's and I get signal again no problem. This will only last 5 minutes to an hour though, and the the connection goes out again.

I am starting to think it might be the router, because (I think) my connection stays solid if I go directly into the modem. My xbox 360 stayed on xbox live for at least an hour without getting booted. What would make my router lose connection though? I have an incredibly strong signal to the router, so it's not that the signal is weak. Could it be losing sync somehow with the modem? I have been losing my mind trying to figure this out over the past 3 days. If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it.

zagman76

Wackbagger, Geek, Administrator
Wackbag Staff
Nov 18, 2004
Long Island, NY
(please don't say linksys... please don't say linksys....)

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
Their products win awards every year for price and quality, what is your problem with them?

Mommadeez4u

Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling
Mar 26, 2005
Washington, DC
you may also have router settings which tell your router to search or glom onto other wireless networks when the signal strength gets iffy.

zagman76

Wackbagger, Geek, Administrator
Wackbag Staff
Nov 18, 2004
Long Island, NY
Their products win awards every year for price and quality, what is your problem with them?
If that's to me...

I've never *not* had problems with Linksys wireless routers. Their security, OS, and configurability might be great (for home users), but I've always had problems with their wireless piece. IMO, D-Link makes a much better product.

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
It is a belkin. I did an update, and come to think of it, that might be when the problem started. I think when I get home tonight, I may try to do a harware reset on my router and reinstall the any updates.

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
Ok... so I got home last night, did a hard reset of my modem, and it is still acting up. It connects for an hour or so, and then the internet light on the router starts blinking and searching for a connection. I am stumpped at this point. We ended up going out and buying a new router. Hopefully this works. If not, we return it and start praying for help from the internet gods. Anyone ever have a problem like this?

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
It might be the cable modem dropping the connection. If it keeps up with the new router, there's your problem.

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
definitely not the modem. I left it directly plugged into our laptop for hours and hours, and never lost the signal.

blazin

Dec 9, 2004
The new router will probably fix it, I've seen this issue before as well. Replacing the router solved it.

sobi

Mar 29, 2005
HAH! I came in here to say how everything was up and running again, and my internet got a hiccup! lol. Had me scared for a minute, but everything has been up and running for the past 12 hours or so. Hoping it will keep going now. I ended up picking up a new router, so I think that solved the problem. Got myself (actually the wife did) a netgear router, and replaced the belkin. It turns out that belkin would replace it for free, but I don't even want to bother at this point.

Picklestyle

Jun 21, 2007
Alabama....ick
Its got to be your db strength from the cable line to your modem.

if that is not it, then try replacing your modem with a Linksys or Netgear Cable gateway modem/Router.

Just call your cable company and register the new MAC ID once you plug it in.