OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Internet wins: SOPA and PIPA both shelved

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jsc315, Jan 20, 2012.

1. jsc315

jsc315 AnalCunt

Looks like we won for now at least.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/01/internet-wins-sopa-and-pipa-both-shelved.ars

2. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

3. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

Oh cool. Another thread on this. Where's the censor police when you really need them? :action-sm

4. OccupyWackbag

OccupyWackbag Registered User

VCRs didn't kill the movie industry, tape recorders didn't kill the music industry, same with the internet.

It's the same cycle over and over again just different mediums and every time the industry wants to make it sound like its the end of the world only to be proven utterly wrong over and over again.

5. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

Video killed the radio star.

6. Begbie

Begbie Wackbag Generalissimo

Still too busy monitoring the Crazy Ron Paul Eroticism Thread and filtering out most of the pro-Ron Paul comments. :icon_cool

7. Pigdango

Pigdango Silence, you mortal Fuck!
    Donator

That's not exactly a fair comparison. VCRs and Tape Recorders allowed you to personally share a copy of something with your friend, but there was an expense to do it, degrading quality with each copy, and of course the limitation that you had to be in the same room to share. Now one DVD can be replicated and shared with tens of thousands of people anywhere in the world instantly.

This is an older chart and I think it's from Britain, but I thought it was interesting. The music industry has been hit the hardest over this 10 year period, but maybe to your point, total entertainment spending is still up, including DVD sales. So maybe the music industry's problems have more to do with the quality of the product?

[​IMG]

8. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

My biggest problem (in relation to piracy) with the movie and music industries is the DRM protection on the files. I'm willing to buy a movie or CD I really want, but once I own it I want to be able to put it on any device I own. Louie CK got a lot of respect from me for doing that, and I refused to share my copy with any of my deadbeat friends (forcing them to buy it themselves) for just that reason.

By the way, DRM protected media does absolutely fucking nothing. It only inconveniences people. Someone is always going to strip the protection and make it available, so why are people going to pay to be inconvenienced?

9. Party Rooster

The a la carte pricing of today's music has had a lot to do with it as well.

10. mr. sin

mr. sin Registered User

11. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

geee... where did you hear that from? :)

12. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

Well, quality of music is subjective. And, more importantly, it doesn't really have anything to do with the demand for it. Michael Jackson is one of the best selling musicians in history, I don't think you would claim that that's because the quality of his music was superior.

What you should be looking at, to determine whether piracy is causing sales to drop, is demand. If demand dropped, then that explains the drop in sales, no need to blame piracy. But if demand is constant or higher, then the only other explanation for lower sales is piracy.

And it's pretty obvious that demand for music is higher. There are more consumers in the world (by orders of magnitude more, not just because of rising population levels, but because large areas of the globe have opened up as markets for American music, that weren't there before), and the saturation of musical devices is higher within that consumer base.

All you have to do to know for a fact that the drop in music sales is caused by piracy is this: compare the sale of electronic devices dedicated to listening to music, globally, to the sale of music itself, globally. The discrepancy, which is not a few percent, or even 50%, but hundreds of percentage points, is almost in its entirety due to piracy.

And that in turn is causing the quality and variety of music being created to be less than it would otherwise be, by orders of magnitude. So you're right, this is not just like cassette tapes. This is like having property rights vs. not having them. It's like trying to produce something in the Soviet Union vs. the United States.

13. Pigdango

Pigdango Silence, you mortal Fuck!
    Donator

Yes, quality is subjective when it comes to an individual song or artist, but in terms of the industry, quality is measured by the industry putting out music that people want to buy. As you put it - demand. Up until the past decade, music was very cyclical - spurts of lighter pop music broken up every 7-10 years by a surge in Rock music. This makes sense, as kids that grow up listening to teen acts look for something harder or more serious as they get older.

It has been these surges in Rock music that fueled industry growth. This went on until the mid 90's, but there hasn't been an industry-wide shift towards rock music in almost 20 years. Sure, some individual bands have found some crossover success, but the industry as a whole has been stuck in a pop rut for almost 15 years. Again, I'm not talking about personal preference, which is subjective. I'm talking about the acts that drive sales within the industry. I think because the industry hasn't been able to develop quality rock acts, kids that are outgrowing Justin Bieber have nowhere to go within the industry, which is why they are turning to video games and movies for their entertainment.

14. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 In The Danger Zone...
    Wackbag Staff

They're just shelving this because it's an election year they don't
    want to push unpopular legislation on perspective voters. It'll be back.

15. Stormrider666

Stormrider666 Hell is home.

I'm guessing the Chamber of Commerce and Creative America didn't get the message. They're still running a commercial asking people to get Congress to pass the bills.

16. Psychopath

Psychopath Plata O Plomo

But there still is a chance that the bill may be passed. That is one of the reasons that you may still be seeing ads.

17. Begbie

Begbie Wackbag Generalissimo

As pointed out previously...Eric Holder, Joe Biden and a bunch of other politicians on both sides are in bed with the RIAA/MPAA and there are 5 RIAA lawyers in the DoJ. Believe me, the question won't be "How do we find common ground on these two bills?" It'll instead be "What do we need to do to sneak these bills through?"

18. Konstantin K

Konstantin K Big League Poster

Yeah, I'm really happy that these have been stopped for the time being, but I feel like it's only a matter of time before something similar gets passed.

19. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

No, not "want to buy". Just want. It's irrelevant what way they want to get it. The point is that they want it. And I called that demand, because it describes wanting something better than the word quality.

Demand, not sales. We are discussing whether it's privacy that is hurting sales, or the lack of demand for the music. When you just use sales and demand interchangeably, you are assuming that it's lack of demand. If you then use that assumption to argue that piracy is not the problem, you are committing a logical fallacy called begging the question.

Just look at overall demand: how many people are listening to music, compared to the past. If it's higher, that means that in a free market sales would also be higher. That's how the law of supply and demand works. And it is a scientific law. If it doesn't apply, that's proof that the market isn't free. In this case, it's not free because thieves have more control over the products on the market than the producers do.

20. Party Rooster

Look, I'm on your side on this and definitely think sales are down because of piracy. But the purchase model has also changed. In the 80's and 90's you pretty much had to buy the whole CD if you liked a particular song and then hoped there were 3 or 4 other decent songs on there. And it cost anywhere from $10-$17 for that CD. Now, a person can download those 4 favorite songs for a buck a piece and be just as happy having only invested $4 for the same experience.

21. MagicBob

MagicBob Registered User

yea!!!! its still legal to take advertising dollars from those selling stolen/knock-off goods!!!
    "The Internet" has won a victory!!!!:action-sm:action-sm:action-sm

22. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

Nice Smackdown on Dodd's threats over SOPA

http://venturebeat.com/2012/01/24/wales-versus-dodd/

23. Hoffman

Hoffman Guess who's back? Hoffman's back

But...but...what's Kirk's talking point going to be now?