Into the Wild

SOS

Is alive.
Wackbag Staff
Into the Wild

INTO THE WILD is based on a true story and the bestselling book by Jon Krakauer. After graduating from Emory University in 1992, top student and athlete Christopher McCandless (Hirsch) abandons his possessions, gave his entire $24,000 savings account to charity and hitchhiked to Alaska to live in the wilderness. Along the way, Christopher encounters a series of characters that shape his life. Written by Lisa Kelley

JimDarko

I saw it over the weekend and thought it was awesome. It has points that are a little whiny and hippie-ish but it is definitely gonna make my top 10 for the year. Girl Next Door guy ownz it and Penn does a great job directing.

prozac

I Munch on Bloody Tampons for Protein
Can't wait to see it....but sadly might have to wait to dvd.

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Saw this last night and pretty much concur with JimDarko.

The movie is (gulp) beautiful to look at, it's almost like a Planet Earth special on America (at least the northwest) , Emilie Hirsch was great, and the music perfectly complimented the film.

The only problem I had was with the characters motivations. Personally, there's no one that annoys me more than a privileged kid that doesn't want to be privileged or resents his parents for being successful and having opportunities that most of us don't have. Awww, mommy and daddy were in a loveless marriage, boo hoo. Join the club. I wish my parents tried to buy my love. I'd take 4 years in Harvard over playing catch with my dad any fucking day. Knowing that Sean Penn, humorless tool that he is, wrote this didn't help.

All that aside, it's a testament to Penn's talent how well made and acted the movie is, that I was able to overlook my personal feelings, and by the end the character actually won my sympathy.

Overall, if you let the hippieisms slide, it's a really great movie.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
i want to see it but i will be catching it on cable, the entire premise burns my ass. from what ive read and heard about the guy he was a complete asshole and deserved to die, i just hope his foolishness doesn't lead to the death of someone else

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
i want to see it but i will be catching it on cable, the entire premise burns my ass. from what ive read and heard about the guy he was a complete asshole and deserved to die, i just hope his foolishness doesn't lead to the death of someone else
For the first half I really wanted to strangle this kid, and they lay on the anti-capitalism/anti-consumerism/hippie dippy shit real thick, but like I said it's so well made it's worth seeing.

blee

Will Drink Today
Just finished watching this movie and it was great!

Perch1019

I read the book while I was on vacation last week. The kid is a total douche. I cant see how someone can just move away like he did and not once let his parents know he was ok until they found out he was dead a couple years later. Waaaaaaaa, my daddy cheated on my mommy so im going to say fuck the world.
He wasnt even stranded in the wild when it was all said and done. I dont know if its mentioned in the movie but he was only a couple of miles from a highway and some kind of safety through the whole ordeal. Mentioned that the locals kinda laughed at him wanted to "live off the wild" for where he was.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
I completely agree with the message of this movie...

If you're a privileged, sniveling anti-capitalist hippy... go out in the woods and die alone.

I'm Three Hole Puncher, and I approve this message.

Kugzilla

Roar. Go: Eagles, Flyers, Philles, Buckeyes, etc.
Yeah, I actually taught this book when I was teaching Literature at a boarding school in NY. I couldn't stand the kid, and thought his arrogance was really what got him killed. While as a parent I feel for his family, I think a lot of my students looked at him as some modern-day Thoreau, and I had to fail them as a result.

That'll learn em.

Dre

(Insert Witty Line Here)
I just saw this recently and I have to say, this is an amazing and all around beautiful film. I really dislike Sean Penn as a person, and I completely disagree with his politics on every level, but you cannot deny the fact that he makes and has made a quality film. The cinematography is quite good, and many of the shots are reminiscent of something you'd see on The Discovery Channel. Emile Hersch gives a career defining performance as Christopher McCandless and Hal Holbrook is just great as one of the many people who Christopher crosses paths with on his journey and is influenced by. I've read the book, (a while ago), before, and though Penn and all did a great job adapting this, also I'm sure by working with Chris's family. I agree with the fact that some of the themes were a bit Left-Wing and Hippie-ish, but, you can't deny the superb quality of this movie. Easily in my Top 10 of 07', no question.

:clap:

jagsfans

Been waiting on a rental for this. I think it comes out on DVD in a few weeks.

Lunchbox420

The Kenny Powers of Wackbag
Just rented this and I am watching it now...very impressed so far, dont agree with Sean Penn on much of anything but he does make a great movie.

Really good film. but could have done without the creepy photo the real dude at the end.

Sct Ptersns Twn

Looking 4 a New 1st Mate
Rich, privileged assholes should die in the wilderness. Fuck 'em.

I do want to see this movie but I think it will make me mad.